Ok, so I did a test drive...

Kaian

:
2006 Mazda5 Phantom Blue Touring
The local Mazda guy finally got some Mazda5 last week, so I test drove a Phantom Blue Touring model, automatic, navigation, etc. and came away pretty impressed.

In the vehicle was myself, my pregnant wife (we're due in August), and my two sons, one in the second row, the other in the third row. The kids were happy with the space, and I sat in each row myself and found each row to be comfortable. When I was in the third row I needed to move the second row up a bit for leg comfort, and it occurs to me that a Mazda5 with large adults in all the back seats might be a little tight but when some of the seats have kids everything seems fine.

I found the acceleration of the auto to be ok -- not great, but not bad either. I want to try the manual but they didn't have one yet. I plan to go back when they do and see how the manual compares. Handling seemed fine to me. We test drove a Mazda3 a few months ago and from my recollections the Mazda5 handled equally well as the Mazda3. I'm probably not the most demanding person in this regard though, YMMV.

My kids liked the "hideaway" second row console, that comes out of the right hand seat and gives additional cup holders and a storage net between the seats. I really wish we could have the karakuri 7th seat, but that's not a deal-breaker for us.

We like the Phantom Blue color. Actually, that's probably the only color we really like from what we've seen. They also had a white one and one of the silver ones (Stellar Silver, I think?) that had weird light blue hints in it that someone might like but we didn't.

Honestly, we might have bought the vehicle we drove except I don't see any need for a navigation system and I want to test drive a manual before making a decision. I might be able to live with an auto but I really want to at least try out the manual before deciding that for certain. However, navigation seems like a waste of $2000 to me -- I have a weird native directional sense and never get lost. (My wife, however, is completely different, but if we get this it would be "my car" so she doesn't count.)

One weird thing. To the left of the steering wheel is what looks like four "pseudo-buttons" that don't push in or anything but look like placeholders for actual switches. If one goes to the Premacy site at the following page, you can see that they look like actual switches there (since the layout is reversed, you'll want to look to the lower right of the steering wheel in that picture) :

http://www.premacy.mazda.co.jp/interior.html

I assume those are for some Japanese options that we can't get over here? Not a big deal, but sort of a curiosity for me.

Anyway, my reaction is generally positive and I might be buying a Mazda5 in the near future, assuming I can get a Phantom Blue touring model with manual (maybe auto) and no navigation system. :)

While I wait for a manual to arrive for a test drive I'm trying to figure out how to make the Mazda5 iPod friendly. In my current car I have a JVC stereo with an aux audio input on the front that is great to plug in any MP3 player you want. No equivalent here.

Anyway, questions?

Your views on the drive of the car line up very well with what I felt... the car doesn't struggle under it's weight at all, and is quite fun to drive even in an Automatic. :) I'm buying one as soon as the next shipment arrives in Canada. (the first run up here was very small, each dealership got 1-3 cars only)

I too am waiting for the 5 speed. But since im on the EAST SIDE OF THE USA, not a single dealer has gotten any of these as the west coast gobbles them up. When the limited supply of 5 speeds come in I will still be going through your sloppy seconds. I think im just getting a base sport (i dont need fog lights and a sunroof) 5 speed. I will probably get the 6disc\spoiler\ground effect option for $490. Other than that, im set.

BTW the space for the buttons on the left is the same as the mazda3. One dims your dash, the other is a cool feature we dont get that adjust the headlights vertically if you have fat people in the car. I think others were auto headlight features etc, the user manual on the 3 cover them.

Last edited:
perfecto said:
Your views on the drive of the car line up very well with what I felt... the car doesn't struggle under it's weight at all, and is quite fun to drive even in an Automatic. :) I'm buying one as soon as the next shipment arrives in Canada. (the first run up here was very small, each dealership got 1-3 cars only)

I've read your comments here and on Edmunds (I'm assuming you're the same guy ;)) and you've been very informative which has helped me as I go over criteria in my mind. I just got back from a little roadtrip where I went to another dealer who had a Black Sport manual and test drove that.

First impression, is I'm personally leaning towards the touring rather than the sport, there's enough extras to justify the extra ~$1500 cost in my mind, especially the sunroof.

Second impression, I don't really like the black. It's just basic black, but seems too somber for the Mazda5.

Finally, the manual -- I liked it, no surprises, easy to control, etc. But I could live with the auto as well. One thing I didn't do with the auto when I had it was trying the 'manumatic' feature, which might give me enough "just in time" control that I could live without the manual. I might need another test to see how that is. Heh.

fam said:
I too am waiting for the 5 speed. But since im on the EAST SIDE OF THE USA, not a single dealer has gotten any of these as the west coast gobbles them up. When the limited supply of 5 speeds come in I will still be going through your sloppy seconds. I think im just getting a base sport (i dont need fog lights and a sunroof) 5 speed. I will probably get the 6disc\spoiler\ground effect option for $490. Other than that, im set.

BTW the space for the buttons on the left is the same as the mazda3. One dims your dash, the other is a cool feature we dont get that adjust the headlights vertically if you have fat people in the car. I think others were auto headlight features etc, the user manual on the 3 cover them.

Thanks for pointing out what those were for. As I mentioned in my other reply, I like the touring a little more than the sport mostly for the sunroof, but I'm in California. :) The sport wasn't bad though, and there's definitely a price difference to consider. I'm sure others won't blink paying 2K for the navigation, but that's useless to me, so I can understand why you don't want to pay for a sunroof you don't need.

The p5 also has the dead buttons thingies. I think some people have taken them out and fabricated coin trays to go in there instead...

So, now we have the ability to check inventory for the Mazda5. I've looked over the inventory in my area, and I can find a variety of different ones in my area. From what I've personally seen at two dealers the inventory system must be listing vehicles on order or in transit, because I know all of the ones listed aren't actually at the dealers.

The frustrating thing for me is that there is one combination that is a mythical beast at the moment: Touring Manual. No matter what zip code I put into the inventory search, when the results load and I use the filters to narrow the results for a particular dealer, I can find Sport Manual, Sport Automatic, and Touring Automatic, but no Touring Manuals anywhere. I even put in some South California zip codes, and nada.

I suspect it's a priority issue. I can see someone thinking that anyone who wants manual might be more cost-sensitive and therefore more likely to get a Sport rather than a Touring, while those who prefer the Touring would probably want automatic as well. But I want a Touring Manual. (drive)

So I can wait even longer for Touring Manuals to show up, or change gears and go for a Touring Auto (still would have to wait for one to show up without navigation, but I've seen a few of those in the system now), or change gears in a different direction and get a Sport Manual and try to add in the extra things I want.

The problem with the last option is while I can add options like the sunroof to a Sport Manual (and I've seen that combination in the system as well), there's some Touring standard items you just can't get with the Sport. This includes fog lights, the "Second row foldout table / cargo bin," leather wrapped steering wheel, automatic climate control and outside temperature in center display, and the outside mirrors on the Sport are all black while on the Touring they match the color of the vehicle, which seems like a very weird thing to make different.

Decisions, decisions...

Im kinda in same situation. I see them on the mazdausa site but most of the vehicles you see just left japan and are on boats for month(s) then trains then tractor trailers. People in CA. apparently are getting the 1st batches of them while the rest just wait in envy. Luckily i actually want the model i see online (sport manual with the popular equip package). EVERY DEALER I CALL SAYS SEPTEMBER. That probably ruins your life\day and for that I am sorry but I am bumbed too. on the plus side dealers usually have no clue whats going on as my local dealer had no clue about any 5s hitting our shores.

We got our first Mazda5 today. A white one with the 5speed manual. They haven't even sent us to school yet for them, but they look mechanically like a MPV and a Mazda3 had a baby and this is what came out....same old stuff. I will say it def. looks different.

do you know if it came from the west coast or the east coast?

I'm thinkin the same thing Antoine, didn't even realize they were hitting dealerships yet! This is cool to see, I'll have to keep my eyes open for them on the road.

Kaian said:
So, now we have the ability to check inventory for the Mazda5. I've looked over the inventory in my area, and I can find a variety of different ones in my area. From what I've personally seen at two dealers the inventory system must be listing vehicles on order or in transit, because I know all of the ones listed aren't actually at the dealers.

The frustrating thing for me is that there is one combination that is a mythical beast at the moment: Touring Manual. No matter what zip code I put into the inventory search, when the results load and I use the filters to narrow the results for a particular dealer, I can find Sport Manual, Sport Automatic, and Touring Automatic, but no Touring Manuals anywhere. I even put in some South California zip codes, and nada.

I suspect it's a priority issue. I can see someone thinking that anyone who wants manual might be more cost-sensitive and therefore more likely to get a Sport rather than a Touring, while those who prefer the Touring would probably want automatic as well. But I want a Touring Manual. (drive)

So I can wait even longer for Touring Manuals to show up, or change gears and go for a Touring Auto (still would have to wait for one to show up without navigation, but I've seen a few of those in the system now), or change gears in a different direction and get a Sport Manual and try to add in the extra things I want.

The problem with the last option is while I can add options like the sunroof to a Sport Manual (and I've seen that combination in the system as well), there's some Touring standard items you just can't get with the Sport. This includes fog lights, the "Second row foldout table / cargo bin," leather wrapped steering wheel, automatic climate control and outside temperature in center display, and the outside mirrors on the Sport are all black while on the Touring they match the color of the vehicle, which seems like a very weird thing to make different.

Decisions, decisions...

There is a Touring Model Manual at JohnHineMazda.com. It's in black though.

RODSCALIP5 said:
There is a Touring Model Manual at JohnHineMazda.com. It's in black though.

Excellent. I went to their site and found their zip code was 92108. I put that in the mazdausa site to inventory search for Mazda5s in that area, and found five results for Touring Manuals (TM). One is a MSRP of $19,510 which is exactly the config I want, although color is Cardinal Red rather than my preferred Phantom Blue. Still, that gives me hope that there will be more TMs in the system sooner rather than later.

Out of the rest, the other four all have navigation and some have a few other things as well. Still, I'm excited to see any TMs in there at all, and one TM w/o nav is better than none. :)

While it would be great if I could get one today, that's just the new car allure in my heart. My head is logical and tells me to wait for the right combination of things to hit my area and not to pay for things like nav I don't want.

I know I'm lucky I got a chance to test drive two different ones, and I've now seen in person Brilliant Black (the Sport Manual) Phantom Blue, Cardinal Red, Stellar Silver (all of those Touring Auto w/Navigation) and I even briefly saw a Whitewater Pearl from a bit of distance while most people still haven't had a chance to see even anything yet.

Last edited:
Back