Mazda5 US pricing & specs

Well...I don't think the primary concern of potential Mazda5 buyers is the 0-60 time and autox capability...I'm sure this baby will be fun to drive and if it's a bit on the heavy side that just means you'll have to turn up the BOOST on your HiBoost/MAM/whoever else Turbo kit ;)

It's got a lot of uses and at the same times it's stylish, attractive, affordable and can hold your family in comfort...throw on some clean rims and lower it and you'll have a new appreciation for family transport!

The Mazda5's success could depend on how roomy the back two rows are. Certainly the third row won't be suitable for adults. But I recently took a look at the Subaru Tribeca, and to open up any legroom in the third row the second row had to be moved forward, making it marginal for adults as well. If the Mazda5 is similar it won't fly. I'm hoping it will be more like the original Honda Odyssey, which at least had a decent second row.

P5w3kids said:
The Mazda5's success could depend on how roomy the back two rows are. Certainly the third row won't be suitable for adults. But I recently took a look at the Subaru Tribeca, and to open up any legroom in the third row the second row had to be moved forward, making it marginal for adults as well. If the Mazda5 is similar it won't fly. .

The Mazda5 is way too small to have a comfortable second row for adults and a useable third row. Personally, I'm much more interested in the former than the latter. I'm thinking that taking the third row out would be a good idea -- more storage space, less weight.

I like it... a lot actually. This would be the perfect replacement for our 97 MPV. I like the looks of the new MPVs (which will probably not be sold here anymore). But, we really don't need a vehicle that large or with that large of price tag. This is much more like the older MPVs. Small but capable of carrying moderate loads.

Only complaint, as I have with all new Mazdas are the f#%&ing wanna be Altezza lights. Anyone know if there will be a version sold over seas with all red tails?

vodapas77 said:
Only complaint, as I have with all new Mazdas are the f#%&ing wanna be Altezza lights. Anyone know if there will be a version sold over seas with all red tails?

Yes there is, you can get red tails from Japan or Europe. However, these overseas red tails do not have a side reflector and side light opening so therefore are not DOT compliant (but cops won't stop you for something like that though).

i like this thing more and more everytime i see it. think about a hiboosted 6 passenger. a van with a turbo. teach your kids young.

wongpres said:
Yes there is, you can get red tails from Japan or Europe. However, these overseas red tails do not have a side reflector and side light opening so therefore are not DOT compliant (but cops won't stop you for something like that though).

Awesome. I have no worries about side reflectors. I bought JDM tails for my Speed so I wouldn't have the side marker and like you said cops (even safety inspectors) never notice a little detail like that. I was just worried that the Japanese model would have the altezzas like the RX-8 does.

So, is this sold as the Premacy in Japan or do I have that confused?

Well my thoughts (just finished "building" one)

1. A bit overpriced.
2. Needs the 6-speed auto.
3. The sliding door immediately makes you think "soccer mom", just as the name "buick" makes you think "old man's car"
4. Tail lights are ok if Blue Batmobile made overlays for them :)
5. Could be a smash hit or a smash failure. Either way, it will never pass the 3 or 6 in sales...

vodapas77 - Yes the Mazda5 is the new Premacy in Japan

Antoine - ETA is June 30 for dealers in Canada to get at least one. US will be thereabouts.

Lord_Zath - I completely agree with you on the auto tranny front. The '06 Mazda3 & Mazda6 with the 2.3l get a new 5-speed auto. It's ridiculous that the Mazda5 doesn't get this tranny because this vehicle needs it the most. So it's likely either cost or technical reasons for this (and if it's technical then the tranny should have been designed for Mazda5 fitment in the first place).

i found the 2nd row to be fine for sitting, and the 3rd row to be bearable. not 12 hr drive bearable, but scootin around town bearable.

Back