fog light mod

Just be warned: if you have ANY problems with your electrical system and they see you have messed with the wiring at your PJB, your warranty will not be honored.

Trust me... I'm speaking from experience.

I would put a separate switch to the driving lights before I messed with my PJB again.

this mod is also illegal in MANY states

sorry, you can't just install a separate switch to the fog lights without running a completely new harness DIRECTLY to them... your "safe way" still means having to **** with the PJB..... this mod simply bypasses the CPU control of the fog lights and as long as you are very meticulous about rewiring everything, you should have no problems down the road

TheMAN said:
this mod is also illegal in MANY states

sorry, you can't just install a separate switch to the fog lights without running a completely new harness DIRECTLY to them... your "safe way" still means having to **** with the PJB..... this mod simply bypasses the CPU control of the fog lights and as long as you are very meticulous about rewiring everything, you should have no problems down the road

Which is exactly what I would do. Run a completely separate circuit from key-on power to the lights. And no, it wouldn't involve the PJB in the least, except to isolate it from the light circuit.

I very meticulously wired everything the last time I had to "**** with the PJB" and it still fried out. I'm not willing to take that chance again on (not that I plan on doing this mod, anyway).

TheMAN said:
mind sharing your PJB experience? ;)

Sure.

I pulled the cig lighter output wire completely out of the PJB and fed a fused B+ line to it so I could have constant power to the lighter and charge my cell phone. The PJB microcomputer fried (for reasons still undetermined) but the stealership refused to warranty it because there was an extra, evil black wire under the dash. They couldn't prove how anything I had done had caused the problem but the Mazda rep backed up the tech, regardless.
They wanted $1600 to replace it ($1200 for the part) but I was able to call in a favor and acquired a PJB elsewhere.

Hence, now I don't screw around with the PJB. Anything I need power for comes direcetly from the battery for B+, from the lighter for KOB+ and is easily removable.

so you cut the wire BEFORE the PJB/fuse and fed power to there or AFTER it and installed a new fuse holder? I don't see how any of that could've caused the CPU to be fried

but anyhow, this fog light mod *should* have no illeffects on the PJB because its control over the fog lights is now completely bypassed... it just doesn't know it's there anymore... plus the relay coil power is on a new source which should have more than sufficient capacity for the slight additional load.... relays hardly have any draw at all! I don't know what you did with your cigarette lighter mod, whether bypassing the PJB or supplying new power to it, but IMO bypassing it is the safest way

TheMAN said:
so you cut the wire BEFORE the PJB/fuse and fed power to there or AFTER it and installed a new fuse holder? I don't see how any of that could've caused the CPU to be fried

I cut the wire between the PJB and the lighter and fed power in directly to the lighter.
TheMAN said:
I don't see how any of that could've caused the CPU to be fried
Yeah. That's exactly what I said, too. The tech said, "You made modifications, so we're not going to warranty it" and just shrugged his shoulders as if to say, "Too bad. What're you gonna do about it?"

I bypassed the PJB. I took it apart and realized that there was no way to re-route any of the power inside since it's all on a printed circuit board.

There is another way to wire your foglamps independantly where all you need to do is remove the relay, and tap a wire in the steering column.

I will work on acquiring it for these forums.

goldwing2000 said:
I cut the wire between the PJB and the lighter and fed power in directly to the lighter.

Yeah. That's exactly what I said, too. The tech said, "You made modifications, so we're not going to warranty it" and just shrugged his shoulders as if to say, "Too bad. What're you gonna do about it?"

I bypassed the PJB. I took it apart and realized that there was no way to re-route any of the power inside since it's all on a printed circuit board.

so you ripped apart the PJB before it fried or after the fact?

yeah.... getting all this s*** to work is a major PITA... I'm going to say the protege is WAY better to work with!

TheMAN said:
so you ripped apart the PJB before it fried or after the fact?

yeah.... getting all this s*** to work is a major PITA... I'm going to say the protege is WAY better to work with!

Well, I never "ripped it apart" but I did disassemble it about a year before it fried to determine if power could be re-routed. Once I determined that it could not, I bypassed it. I disassembled it again after the chip fried but couldn't see anything obvious.

edit: sorry, this is getting off-topic. If you have any more questions about it, please PM me.

Last edited:
TheMAN said:
http://web2.airmail.net/theman/mz3fog

(fu) computer controlled lights bulls***! so much work just to bypass that pile of s***!

I don't really think there is need to rewire. If you just what the fog lights to function while only the parking lights are on, the only think you have to do is
to start your car then turn on the headlights and foglights. then turn of your car and start it back again and the foglights will remain on the the headlights will be off. I discover that one night that I was playing around with my lights.

^^ you must have a special car, mine did not do that.

Finally got around to doing this mod. I never did like the relay mod, while it's seemingly *safer* than the PJB, it could still **** s*** up if done wrong anyway...besides, i have plenty of years of 12v exp. so this was a walk in the park.

BTW, theMAN, you mention *record all radio presets*, may also want to include, record trip meter mileage too. Cause that zero's out when the battery is disconnected.

im resucitating ths thread.
Badger Biker did you get a hold of the instructions to do this mod withouth screwing around with the PJB?

its a good link except that there is no how-to write up yet. i guess i'll just keep checking it. Badger Biker mentioned he was going to copy another how-to, im not sure he got around to that.

I talked to the foreman at work today about it. He said it would be possible to do, and I'm gonna see about "slipping" my car into the workload to have it done. Hopefully they won't charge me too much, being an employee and all...

Is there a possible way to make the fogs work COMPLETELY independantly from the parking lights and headlights? I know there is w\ the p5 and I loved how I was able to turn the fogs on and off on their own. They also came on when I started my car...

yup.
do a search. the procesudere is similar as in ther other mazdas. I know there is a how to here and another one in the main forum. It will most def void your warranty though

Back