Inquiry about the stock radio and antenna

:
2005 Mazda 3s,---------- 05 SL500, 04 SLK350 Benz(s)
Im upgrading my radio antenna base and need to know the type of wire that comes from the stock radio to the antenna inside the roof the car. Could someone explain to me the wiring terminology / process from the back of the stock radio to the antenna on the outside of the car?

My current issue: I ran the Sirius satellite radio wire through the roof opening where the stock radio antenna wire and antenna is mounted. I have a problem with reinstalling the stock radio antenna because the metal connector that is attached to inside of the car has sharp teeth that scrap against the roof. The sharp teeth scrap against the inside roof of the car so that there is a water proof seal. Since the satellite radio antenna wire goes through the mounting hole, I can not tighten the radio antenna base because the teeth will break or scrap against the wire. So I need to install an aftermarket antenna. I just have no clue which one to buy.

I searched the forum and came a crossed a few different things like coax and two different information sources on the net:

1) E-bay: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

2) Aftermarket Installer.com page:
http://www.installer.com/antenna/ant.html

When I search on Installer.com page for a Mazda 3 antenna it comes up with
15"38cm black helical wind removable fiberglass mast, 6"-15cm coaxial cable and power supply wire.

Is the wire that comes from the radio to the antenna called coaxial cable and is sized by this term 6-15cm?

From what that website has posted, It seems to me, that the term mast is another name for antenna. I posted a request in the interior and exterior modifications and no one has helped me thus far. I hope one of you people knowledgeable in this area can assist me. I even called Mazda hotline and they did not even know. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey, not sure I can help you exactly, but I do know that the connector that goes into the stock radio is a motorola type connector.

I dont really think it matters what type of wire you run, as long as the connection is right. Like for me, I changned the end that normally plugs into the back of our headunits, i switched it from motorola to RCA. Then ran like 12 feet of rca cable converted it back into motorola plug and plugged it back into the headunit and it worked just fine.

not sure if that helps any

I figured it out actually. The plug in question is just below the antenna. Its the wire that goes from the antenna to the side of the car and plugs into another wire. That wire is the one with a "motorola" plug and goes to the back of the radio. I just need to upgrade the antenna and that short wire and I'm good.

By the way, nappyjim, sweet setup you got there.

Back