Anyone have a front strut bar

rbmazda3

Contributor
:
2004 Mazda 3
It's a strange thing I just noticed but of all the cars I've owned seems one of the first things people purchase is the front upper strut bar. Not so on the Mazda 3. Matter of fact...in my boredom searching thru sigs...I don't see a single car with one. Could this really be true? And if so...why? (uhm)

The car handles well stock, but not many people know about the OMP Bar that Draxas is selling.

Apparently there are some fitment issues with the bar (have to notch off part of the battery cover, or take it off).

I've had the OMP strut bar of a couple of weeks and I like how it handles. Turns ins are a bit lighter and quicker even with my wider summer rims and tires.

It's true, the battery cover has to be notched out or removed completely, but that's fine by me. The strut bar will have to be removed if you want to change the battery anyway.

rbmazda3 said:
Could this really be true? And if so...why? (uhm)

Yes, it's true. The main reason is that the firewall has been integrated into the strut towers, so it acts like a built-in tower brace.
If you look at almost any other car, the strut towers are standing alone, a short distance away from the firewall.
If you look at the Mazda3, the firewall extends out to the strut towers and actually connects to them under the two rear-most strut bolts.

That, coupled with numerous under-car cross-members and a host of other updates, has made the Mazda3 one of, if not the, stiffest cars in its class.

There are additional braces available for both front and rear but you should only need them if you plan to do some auto-x or if you want to add to your rice-factor. (spin)

Here's a picture of the AutoExe set from Corksport that retails for $577+shipping.

1106068.jpg

And here's the MazdaSpeed bar for $338:
933691.jpg

GT-Spec also makes a whole host of reinforcing struts for this car. The whole kit will run you about $750.

Last edited:
Well, the GT-Spec strut bar by itself is only about $170.

Still too much for something with dubious benefit, if you ask me.

that mazdaspeed one looks damn sexy though.... nice way to improve on handlin and some engine bay looks..... though that price is crazy....

No doubt about those prices. All the strut bars I've purchased for my last to cars were around the $100 range. I really like the looks of the Mazdspeed bar but holy greenbacks batman...338 bones for a strut bar? I don't think so!

save that money and buy something more worthwhile like an hid kit, which can be had for less than that, depending on the kit, but either way it will not only add looks to your car but also functionality because the increased light output will help you from running over people and animals at night, besides not only is it bad to run over people, but it also usually damages your car....

ultimazda3 said:
save that money and buy something more worthwhile like an hid kit, which can be had for less than that, depending on the kit, but either way it will not only add looks to your car but also functionality because the increased light output will help you from running over people and animals at night, besides not only is it bad to run over people, but it also usually damages your car....
I have the OEM HIDs silly goose!

hmm nevermind then, well then i guess i would suggest to buy the strut bar, but i also hear sway bars make a large improvement.....

Back