Camber is good after lowering

mazda3zoom

:
Sweetest Car Ever
So i installed my eibach springs the other day and finally made it into belle tire to get the camber checked out (it looked like it was way off) and the guy told me that i didnt need a rear camber kit and that everything was within specs. i thought the rear was gonna be out untill the camber correction kit came out??? anyways im gonna try and upload a copy of the sheet they game me. (dunno)
Sorry i had to put it in a word document

Attachments

• specs.doc
    86 KB · Views: 289
mazda3zoom said:
So i installed my eibach springs the other day and finally made it into belle tire to get the camber checked out (it looked like it was way off) and the guy told me that i didnt need a rear camber kit and that everything was within specs. i thought the rear was gonna be out untill the camber correction kit came out??? anyways im gonna try and upload a copy of the sheet they game me. (dunno)
Sorry i had to put it in a word document

I'm afraid at -2.2 and -2.3 you are going to see some premature wear on the insides of your rear tires unless you are very regimented about rotating them. Although the outside of the spec is -2.3 that is still pretty extreme.

What Eibach kit do you have?

Last edited:
rbmazda3 said:
I'm afraid at -2.2 and -2.3 you are going to see some premature wear on the insides of your rear tires unless you are very regimented about rotating them. Although the outside of the spec is -2.3 that is still pretty extreme.

Rotating them will only help wear ALL the tires inside egdes prematurely.
Rotating will not prevent or reduce tire wear!

rbmazda3 said:

ive got the pro kit i think (the one with less drop)

I'll have to check my manual but those numbers don't look right. I'll refrain from further comment until I know for sure.

But yes, more negative camber equals more tire wear, regardless of whether it is in spec or not.

yea so I run -2.0 in the rear of my miata, what's the problem, I doubt the Mz3 is any more special so it will wear tires faster or anything

as long as you have a good amount of camber up front as well, it's all good...

does it look like i have too much negative camber in the front??? If so then i wanna take it back up there and make them fix it cuz honestly in the rain when i turn real fast i think i feel it slippin a little. I wanna know tho so that i can take it back up there. thanks

I talked to the dealership about the mazdaspeed springs and they told me I would need the sport dampers because the new springs would not fit correctly on the old struts. Is this true or can I get the springs without the dampers and just use the camber kit. Im not sure if this makes sense because i don't know a lot about suspensions.

mazda3zoom said:
does it look like i have too much negative camber in the front??? If so then i wanna take it back up there and make them fix it cuz honestly in the rain when i turn real fast i think i feel it slippin a little. I wanna know tho so that i can take it back up there. thanks

Front camber looks ok but it's unadjustable, so taking it up there would be pointless, anyway. The only thing that is adjustable is toe and maximum steering angle. Since we have Mac Struts in the front, lowering doesn't change much up there.

The camber specs change based on how much gas you have in the car (first time I've seen that), so I'll give you the specs for a 1/2 tank, just to be average. They don't change much, but they do change.

Front
Camber Angle: -.68 1
Caster Angle: 2.97 1
Total Toe: .08" .16"
SAI: 14
Cross Camber: Max 1.5

Rear
Camber Angle: -1.22 1
Total Toe: .08" .16"
Cross Camber: max 1.5
Thrust Angle: 0 .8

That's directly from section 2-11 of the factory service manual.

So, you are technically within most of the specs but your rear camber and toe are right on the hairy edge of the upper limits.

The skittishness in the rain is probably a combination of the effects of those two. If you can get your toe closer to zero, it would help. An alignment kit would definitely help.

Here's the before and after on mine:

Before.jpg

After.jpg

I made modifications to my control arms to get the numbers to come in to where I wanted them but I wouldn't recommend that for anybody else. As soon as an alignment kit is out, I'm going to get one and set both my rears to -1.

dread said:
I talked to the dealership about the mazdaspeed springs and they told me I would need the sport dampers because the new springs would not fit correctly on the old struts. Is this true or can I get the springs without the dampers and just use the camber kit. Im not sure if this makes sense because i don't know a lot about suspensions.

I don't know what the 'Speed springs look like but I can't see any reason why you would NEED the dampers. A spring mount is a spring mount. Looking at the pictures, they sure don't look any different than the stock springs and dampers.

Since it seems that most dealers are full of crap, especially when it comes to 'Speed parts, I'd have to say that they are way out in left field on this one.

That's just my opinion, though

thats what i thought but he said because the speed springs are smaller the old dampers wouldn't fit properly. So what is the point of new dampers, do they just make the ride stiffer and improve handling more than just changing the springs? Is it correct then that all I need are the springs and the camber kit?

If for some stramge reason the 'Speed springs are made especially for the 'Speed dampers, then I wouldn't buy them. Get some Eibach, H&R or Progress springs instead.
If you do get the 'Speed springs and they're different, then you're screwed and will be spending a lot more money to buy new dampers.

Hey Goldwing...what springs are you running? Just curious because I didn't have my alignment done when I put my Sportlines on. Waiting to get a camber kit on there before I do.

so eibach springs are made for the stock dampers? Any waranty issues with putting springs on? How much should the install be for springs and the rear camber?

Back