Anyone in T.O. want to see my MSP??

dpmmsp

I don't know if this would be convenient or of interest for anyone, but if I said I would be sitting in a parking lot near the DVP and York Mills at 12 noon on Saturday, and if anyone wanted to come and see the car and maybe have a ride I'd be cool with it, would there be any takers?? Also FYI, I'm going to be at Avante at Yonge and Steeles around 10am Monday morning. .... I've got to pick up rear seat cupholders .... $59!!! It's that or the kids will find their own place to put drinks and no Scotchguard in the world is up to that.

Hey.
i think this is a good idea...but i'd rather meet up with you when i do get my car!..it kinda spoils the suspense, if i see your car w/o even having mine...i'll be soo tempted after i see your car, that i might change my mine about getting something different, since i'm car-less at the moment.
oh well, which parking lot do you plan on setting up this meeting?

I just suggested it to see if anyone one would be interested. As I said in an earlier thread ... I found the people on this forum have been a huge source info and comradery while waitng for the car.... If this would be a help to anyone who isn't sure about the colour, or is thinking about giving up, or just wants to hear the stereo, I'd be willing.
The second light east of the DVP on York Mills is Fenside. About 200 feet south on Fenside is a typically empty parking lot beside a big grocery store. Just let me know, otherwise I'll be fighting the crowds Xmas shopping. .......Boy, I wonder which of those 2 options I'd rather do ..... hang out and talk MSP .... fight unruly herds of people in a weird masochistic ritual ...... a real head-scratcher that:confused: ..... what to do ... what to do(huh)

Hey dpmmsp! I'm interested in seeing it at high noon Saturday.

Have a few questions to ask like:

- Avante invoice
- Insurance
- Extended warranty
- Alarm system (keep or upgrade?)
- Subwoofer's performance (deciding whether to sell existing car stereo with old car)

Let us know if it's still on.

I'll be there and can hang around for an hour or so. ..... As far as the questions....

1) Its at work and I'm not, but I'm pretty sure it was $26,995 + $925 freight + $50 administration + $10 to switch the plates + $100 for one stupid f**kin' tax :bs: + $70 for another stupid f**kin' tax :bs: :bs: - $4,300 trade-in + a sh**load of GST and PST .... thus taxing a tax:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

2) Done through the company so it wouldn't be much of a comparison.

3) I'm still thinking about it. It was around $930 to extend full coverage to 5 years instead of three. This is still apparently the stock Protege rate, making it a bargain with all the highend parts on the msp. My dealer expected Mazda to be re-examining the rates in the new year. On the one hand, over 2 years it would be easy to spend $930 in repairs, particularly the 4th and 5th year. On the other hand I had my Del Sol for almost 8 years and nothing really ever went wrong.

4) IMO this car will be a bit of a target, criminally speaking. It does kinda stand out. The alarm it comes with is the usual "If you open my door, I'll flash my lights and honk my horn" variety ... hooked to the dome light. No shock sensors, no perimeter, no siren, no use. I'm a little touchy about this as I came out of my house one fine morning about 4 years ago, and found the del sol sitting on cinder blocks, sans feet. That was the day I learned about lock nuts (sounds like a social disease). Just because they don't open the door, doesn't mean they can't really piss you off. My msp is now equipped with what I would call a substantial alarm... lots of goodies too .... turns on my lights automatically either if its dark or raining, locks and unlocks the doors, don't ya love toys!

5) I think that I probably use less "whump" in my music tastes then many contributors to this forum. When I picked up the car, a mechanic who had the same deck in his car did me a favour by setting up the radio. He had the base turned up, the loudness on, and a selection of radio stations that varied somewhat from my taste .... I thought "what.... no tweeters???". The woofer is certainly capable of rattling the windows if that's your thing. Me ... I turned the bass down to half, turned off the loudness and played the beginning of darkside of the moon very, very loud and it seemed great to me. It's certainly the best stereo I've ever had in a car.
The stereo is every bit as complex as the reports suggest and the mechanic did me a favour because with a couple of tweaks I could enjoy music right away, otherwise be prepared to program for a while.

If you want you can drop by Tuckers Market on Eglington and Warden on Thurs the 19th there are going to be quite a few protege enthusiasts there as that is where the Christmas dinner is. Stop by and grab some buffet

I'm interested in seeing the car. I live at Richmond and Spadina by the way. I thought I read in another thread that you work in my area, but that could just be my mistake.
Let us all know if its still on, and where this parking lot is exactly.
Congrats on your car!

Edit - long time lurker, first time poster. :)

Last edited:
MarkMurray ..... I'm going to be there.

Grimace ..... Yes, I'm a little bit west of you, so you could see the car most work days, or come on Saturday ..... the directions to the lot are about 5 replies up in this thread.

Newf ..... I got my snows on so I don't see why not .... I'll see if I can get an extra long lunch hour one day .... I'll let you know.:D

Hey I got Beer, lambs, whiskey, and I get some chics too :)

Bring it on!

actually, where is it that you work? I got a friend up there, that's got a digi cam, and he's coming back here next week....maybe he can drive by and get some pics.

Dpm...try to come by on the 19th like murray said....the hole Toronto Protege Club will be having our christmas party....none of us have seen a MSP yet...so you'll be the guest of honor!!

e-mail me if you can come...we'd love to see you there
n_atef@hotmail.com

Ah, I completely missed the directions before. Thanks! If I don't see you Saturday, I'll walk by your work parking lot.

Man, that's a lot to reply to ........

Newf .... If you want your friend to come by let me know so I can tell you when I'll be here (near King & Bathurst). I'm around a lot of next week, but we're closed on the Friday and don't open again until the new year. I'm not worried about the whiskey, beer would be great, I don't want to know what you do with lambs in Nfld, but given my new maritial status the chics part sounds good. Can you arrange for your friend to bring the chics and beer with his digi camera????(drinks)

Protege5 ... I'll be there, but I haven't got around to registering with the club yet. Does "Guest of Honour" translate to "lots o' presents"?

Slug .... American beer!!! You'll have to do better than that. Ever see Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl? Eric Idle asks why U.S. beer is like making love in a canoe .......................................... It's f**king close to water. Thanks for the invite though, and the grammatically correct use of the term "eh".

Grimace .... OK either way.

Newf (again) .... I thought it had a perimeter too, but no ..... doors, trunk and hood, that's it.

(yippy) (mspo) (rofl) (mspo) (yippy) (canada)

Guest of Honor refers to the fact that you'll be taking my attention from all our P5-girls...we have around 6-7 P5 driving girls...most with sick mods!!!

dpmmsp...
is this meet still on regardless whether or not we show up ?..
Are you just going to be there because you need to do some christmas shopping? Can you just finialize location and time?
thanks!
Btw, what's your real name?...i don't want to approach you by asking if you're dpmmsp or not....that's if i come.:)

L.M. This is probably too late, but ya I'll be there .... around noon .... its a parking lot that's always empty .... that's why I picked it .... and its near the dvp and 401 so easy to get to. I'm Don, I'll be the guy next to the orange car!!!!!!

hey dpmmsp...
so what happen at this meet?..how many people showed up?..
Got any pictures to share?..sorry, i couldn't make it. The sun came out around noon time too! .Darn, i had an opportunity to see this car shine:p

Dpmmsp, thank you very much for making today a very pleasant one.

I showed up a tad late and didn't see any orange coloured car around. So I waited hoping that it was just out for a test drive and will be back shortly. Sure enough, dpmmsp showed up with Grimace coming back from a test drive. My immediate first reaction when I saw the MSP in sunlight was "Wow".

Dpmmsp was nice enough to let me take a spin in it. I couldn't really whoop it up to see what it's like at limits but puttering around was enough to tell me that I'll be really happy when mine does finally arrive.
Overall, it's very poise and solid in it's handling and feel. Nice and solid pedal and shifter feel. I did find the steering a tad light for my liking but it's still better than anything that I've driven with the exception of a friends' heavily modified BMW 325 with a small Momo racing steering wheel.

The seats are very nicely done indeed too material and feel wise. They could use some more lateral support though to complement the MSP's handling performance. I was very impressed with the overall fit and finish of the car, inside and out. Guess I never had a good impression of Mazda cars in general. The MSP might have just changed that though I'm still fully aware of all the problems I've heard with the MP3.

That orange is very easy on the eye too in person, especially in the sun. I was comtemplating of waiting for the titanium grey or yellow but now I'm definitely 100% set on spicy orange.

Stereowise, it does sound very nice indeed. What I like about is just how flexible and customizable it is with all sorts of setups and configurations, the usual parametric EQ, LPF, HPF, separable by front and back too no less. Basically, it can be customized to suit whatever your audio taste may be with the exception of earth shattering bass of course. There's enough clean deep bass there for me to let go of my existing 12" monster. Having trunk space now would be kinda nice too.

I brought my digital camera but totally forgot to snap some shots. Duhh! Oh well.

Well, I feel much better today about my decision to get the MSP thanks to dpmmsp. I can only now hope that Mazda have learned with the MP3 and that the MSP will be free of any future problems.

Back