Could I change the head unit?

Mazda3 SP23

:
Mazda3 SP23
My friend told me that will be a complicated task. becoz the shape of the default head unit is trapezia, and the most common head unit in the market is quadrate

Therefore, it doesnt fit....Is that true? mean I cant change my Head unit?

If it doesn't, Would you guy post your car picture with the crazy head unit plz

cheers

477131669485282405cimg0667.jpg

As the picture shown, If I change the head unit, How can I fill in the green space...there will be two gap on each side

they make a dash kit for the 3 now... do a search for it and you should find it... it will make those spaces dissapear... why do you want to get rid of the stock unit? you loose the creature comforts like alcs, steering wheel controls, and the display as well...

also doesn't the sp23 have climate control? if it does then you will loose that read out as well b/c it is on the display attached to the hu...

search the forum for a 'metra kit'

you can also do one youself but i guess that's not what you're after

You can buy an interface made by PAC (SWIX model) on autotoys.com, to retain steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit. For those of you who, like myself, have nothing better to do than while away the hours on this forum, yes, this is the third or fourth time I've said this, and no i don't work for PAC or autotoys. Loosing the climate control display might suck a bit but I wouldn't worry about it, the stock headunit kind of sucks.

The stock headunit is great for anything that you might need for audio later on.

All you would need to to is use a high quality Line Out Converter, and add in your own equalizer and you will be set.

I believe the '04 models head unit is made by Alpine as well, changed to something else for '05 and above. BUt with the current trends in automotive making, replacement headunits are UGLIER than what comes stock in a vehicle, and removing the stock headunits just isn't feasable anymore as things become more and more integrated.

Badger Biker said:
The stock headunit is great for anything that you might need for audio later on.

All you would need to to is use a high quality Line Out Converter, and add in your own equalizer and you will be set.

I believe the '04 models head unit is made by Alpine as well, changed to something else for '05 and above. BUt with the current trends in automotive making, replacement headunits are UGLIER than what comes stock in a vehicle, and removing the stock headunits just isn't feasable anymore as things become more and more integrated.

I agree completely... i think the loss of integration and some creature comforts are worth using a loc and an eq if you want the extra audio control.

saskmazdaman11 said:
You can buy an interface made by PAC (SWIX model) on autotoys.com, to retain steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit. For those of you who, like myself, have nothing better to do than while away the hours on this forum, yes, this is the third or fourth time I've said this, and no i don't work for PAC or autotoys. Loosing the climate control display might suck a bit but I wouldn't worry about it, the stock headunit kind of sucks.

logjam_1839_3276395

is this what you mean ?

PAC SWI-X Universal Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface

majic said:
search the forum for a 'metra kit'

you can also do one youself but i guess that's not what you're after

That thing does help me, But from the taken picture by those installer, It will
lose creature comforts (loser)

tsunami said:
also doesn't the sp23 have climate control? if it does then you will loose that read out as well b/c it is on the display attached to the hu...

the climate control will be retained.

530725_32_full.jpg

Mazda3 SP23 said:
the climate control will be retained.

530725_32_full.jpg
Not necessarily, you have to be very careful here.

Your Mazda3 has automatic climate controls (unlike the manual climate control picture in your post).

All the head-unit replacements I've seen have rendered the display (the one with clock & radio info) to be useless. This can be acceptable on a manual climate controlled car because there is no climate control info on the display.

However, on an automatic climate vehicle like yours, then you can't lose the climate control info on the display because you can't set a desired temperature for example. So you'll have to ensure your installation will retain the climate control info on the display. I haven't seen anyone do this yet on an automatic climate control car (not saying it can't be done, just saying I haven't seen it done yet).

wongpres said:
Not necessarily, you have to be very careful here.

Your Mazda3 has automatic climate controls (unlike the manual climate control picture in your post).

All the head-unit replacements I've seen have rendered the display (the one with clock & radio info) to be useless. This can be acceptable on a manual climate controlled car because there is no climate control info on the display.

However, on an automatic climate vehicle like yours, then you can't lose the climate control info on the display because you can't set a desired temperature for example. So you'll have to ensure your installation will retain the climate control info on the display. I haven't seen anyone do this yet on an automatic climate control car (not saying it can't be done, just saying I haven't seen it done yet).

yah,your point is definetly right and reasonable~~
I might dismiss my ideas tho~

If the LCD doesnt work, climate control will be meaningless (sad1)

again why do you want a new stereo? is it for looks or functionality? if you just want to be able to hook up subs and amps then use a loc (line out converter) i just installed one on mine saturday it was a piece of cake and actually has 9.5v outs instead of 4.5 like most after market hu's... then just plug in your rca's to that and you are good to go....

go here

http://www.davidnavone.com

tsunami said:
again why do you want a new stereo? is it for looks or functionality? if you just want to be able to hook up subs and amps then use a loc (line out converter) i just installed one on mine saturday it was a piece of cake and actually has 9.5v outs instead of 4.5 like most after market hu's... then just plug in your rca's to that and you are good to go....

go here

http://www.davidnavone.com
for good looking and more personality and functionality (drinks)

Back