Speaker Swap-out Questions

Hi All,

Like many of you, I agree that the stock "3" speakers sound like they are covered in mud (really kinda sad that both my stock P.O.S. KIA and Hyundai speakers had better sound quality).

Anyhow, I just want to get some good quality speakers and do a direct swap out for stock. So I have some questions:
1) If I get exact size matches, are there any fit complications?
2) Do I have to put new terminal connectors on, or do the stock ones fit on the speakers?
3) The front speakers are obviously "component" pieces, where are the stock crossovers located?

Any advice would be greatly appreiated.

TIA

you will need to either take off the water shield on the oem speakers or create one of your own, otherwise your speakers will rust and the wires will fall off.... also i just sound deadened my doors and still have to stock speakers and the difference is amazing, i would recomend doing this as well, then upgrade your speakers...

1) Shouldn't be. I think max depth is 4 3/16" and I haven't seen a 6x8 or 5x7 that's anywhere near that deep.

2) Mazda uses a harness connection on the speakers, so you have a choice of either buying a harness that will mate up to the factory one and then connect to your new speakers or you can cut off the factory harness and wire your new speakers directly. I think Metra makes the speaker harnesses and they can be found at places like Best Buy or Circuit City for 6 or 7 bucks.

If you order your speakers through www.crutchfield.com you will get the wiring harnesses for free along with a detailed booklet describing how to install your new purchase. If you don't order from them you can also purchase the harnesses separately.

The stock speakers do not have a crossover. The tweeter has a capacitor inline to block out the lows and the driver plays everything.

You do not have to buy components to replace the stock speakers, but I recommend you do. Even cheap components sound better than coaxials in the same price range. You can easily mount the new crossovers behind the door panel. Search the Car Audio section for pictures.

Back