Amp and speakers for 5 door?

OUCHABABY

:
2004 3 5 door
I love the radio and CD player BUT the speakers suck! I would like to replace the tweeters and the front speakers and also would like to see where I can stuff a couple of small subs. I am not into the boomy bass. I just want it to sound right and I don/can't use any sub boxes. I am thinking a set of 8" in the back doors. Is this possible? Recomendations? (guitar)

It would only work if the sub was capable of being mounted free air, meaning it doesn;t need a box. I am not sure about the depth but there are some 8" free air subs out there. Kickers competition subs used to be able to be mounted free air.

Also, if you want to consider an underseat uption, there is the AE Slimline 10" sub what will fit under the seat in a box.

do what i am doing... glass a sub into the jack hole in the back if you want an 8 i don't think there is any modding at all... there is a guy on the sounddomain site that is selling them i believe.... if i can find his car again i will post the link for you...

His Aim handle is "Memnoch6583" you might be able to get contact him that way. Known as CrzyOne01 on another forum where he no longer is active :mad: Let us(me) know if he is still making the stealth box! (shady)

mobomelter said:
wouldn't good 3 ways give you decent bass?

No better then the same lines 2 way will with the same size driver. Besides a 3 way would all have to be installed infront of you, not behind you, otherwise it will sound like ass.

1sty said:
It would only work if the sub was capable of being mounted free air, meaning it doesn;t need a box. I am not sure about the depth but there are some 8" free air subs out there. Kickers competition subs used to be able to be mounted free air.

Also, if you want to consider an underseat uption, there is the AE Slimline 10" sub what will fit under the seat in a box.

That looks like a very plausable option. Tell me, is there room under the back seats for this? Ant suggestions for a front door/ A pillar tweeter combo that you would suggest. Also an amp that could handle all of this. I am not looking to kill my hearing any more than it already is. I just want it to sound good and have good clean punch.

BTW I am assuming that the AE Slimline can be run in mono, correct?

Biznass said:
His Aim handle is "Memnoch6583" you might be able to get contact him that way. Known as CrzyOne01 on another forum where he no longer is active :mad: Let us(me) know if he is still making the stealth box! (shady)

thanks saved me some time... on his sounddomain page he siad he was making them for the 8 only.... 10' needed some slight mods down to the hole to make it bigger.... but it looked like a quality product

OUCHABABY said:
That looks like a very plausable option. Tell me, is there room under the back seats for this?
I haven't seen under the rear seat of a 3 yet, but I am really doubting it.
Under the front seats theres a good chance for it though.

OUCHABABY said:
Any suggestions for a front door/ A pillar tweeter combo that you would suggest.
Nope, because most people that put a tweeter in the a-pillar, regret it. Other then that, for front components you have a world of options. Any 5x7/6x8 component will fit as will most 6.5" components. Just get to some stores and take a listen using your favorite music. Buy what you like the sound of. Its really that easy. Your budgets going to be the big deciding factor here, what is it? I would put focal, JL, MB Quart, Boston acoustics, IMage dynamics, diamond audio, dynaudio (expensive only), Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, and infinity. All are well built reputable brands.

OUCHABABY said:
Also an amp that could handle all of this. I am not looking to kill my hearing any more than it already is. I just want it to sound good and have good clean punch.

Any 4 channel with about 50 watts rms per channel will do that job. You can use the front channels for a component set, and bridge the rear channels to power a subwoofer. If you want to get a little more control or power into the system then consider a 5 or 6 channel amplifier like the JL audio e6450. I highly reccomend that amp.

OUCHABABY said:
BTW I am assuming that the AE Slimline can be run in mono, correct?
Subs and speakers actualy don't care if they are mono or stereo. Any speaker can be either. What you need to be sure of is if the amp your using can be bridged. Bridging is when you combine 2 channels to work as one. You also have to be cautious that you match the subwoofers resistance with an amp capable of handling that resistance.

Last edited:
Yeah , the 8" was without modding. The 10" , you would have to cut up the panel. Also, The depth and space needed are something to look into.

Biznass

OUCHABABY said:
I love the radio and CD player BUT the speakers suck! I would like to replace the tweeters and the front speakers and also would like to see where I can stuff a couple of small subs. I am not into the boomy bass. I just want it to sound right and I don/can't use any sub boxes. I am thinking a set of 8" in the back doors. Is this possible? Recomendations? (guitar)

Here's some about to be released 6 3/4" Woofers. I'm pretty sure Ben mentions in this thread that Infinite baffle is fine for these:

ed EU700

FYI, I've already verified in my car that these will fit in the front or back doors with no problem. But I'd suggest a 3/8" MDF spacer ring. 1/2" is going to be too close to the interior door panel, and 1/4" isn't going to be beefy enough for that woofer.

Back