Problem taking off rims

Mikey444

:
Mazda 3 & RX-8
I bought a hydraulic lift, thought I would take off the winter tires and rims and put the mags on myself, the buts all come off easy but the rim will not come off, no amount of kicking in the word will knock it loose, any solutions?

drive it around without any bolts until it falls off by itself.. no but seriously just kick the crap out of it or use a rubber mallet if one is near ~j

P5MoJo said:
drive it around without any bolts until it falls off by itself.. no but seriously just kick the crap out of it or use a rubber mallet if one is near ~j

hahah that s*** is too funny! but yeah, use the rubber mallet and whack it from from the inside like crazy. It should come off...if not do what he said about driving it w/o the bolts. lol j/k

toucci said:
you can try putting the lugs on loosely and driving a few feet, that might do it
if its really stuck that actualy works, trust me I have tried it a few times
you want to have them up against the wheel, but you dont want them snug

toucci said:
you can try putting the lugs on loosely and driving a few feet, that might do it
Not a good idea.

I work at a shop and when that happens we get a small sludge hammer and tap the back of the rim, starting by hitting it soft and hitting harder. Don't swing it too far, but it won't hurt the rim as long as you use common sense. If you take it somewhere that's all they'll do to get them off.

like other said, loosen the lugs to where they are barely away from the rims and let it idle forward and hit the brakes...that sohuld do the trick. Banging on the rim is never a good idea. Sometimes a pry bar between the back of the rim on the strut will work...

happened to my buddy's jaguar.. if the roads around you have a lot of salt on them, the inside can corrode and get nasty and the rim will actually "affix" itself to the brake. the rubber mallet works wonders.

yep, here the raods arent salted a lil bit, they salt a LOT. I dont have a rubber mallet, would a hammer be ok?

so you think hitting your wheels to knock them loose is safer than doing it with the regular weight of the car? hah.

We do it all the time at work....it shouldn't hurt anything....just don't use a plain old nail hammer - a small sludge or large mallet will do the trick. When I did my brakes I used a small/medium sludge and tapped until it came off....no damage at all. I've never tried loosening lugs and letting the car roll, but I would think that would cause a large bending stress on the studs.

Because of the small contact area, a nail hammer might cause a small dent, plus their isn't enough weight in them, so you'd have to swing it pretty fast (which also increases the chance of denting). I've used the back of an axe before too....anything big and heavy with a solid contact area will work.

RenzoMSP said:
place a piece of board or 2X4 and beat it good.
That's an idea too.

To prevent this problem in the future, coat the hub and the mounting face of the wheel with spark plug anti-seize before mounting the wheel. This is the method I use and I have never had a problem removing my wheels.

Ah crap, look what I did. thougt I placed it in the right area, look what I bent. (bang), this is truly the dumbest thing I ever did.

Finally found a frigin mallet though, I will try tomorow morning

Attachments

• Imagen 001.jpg
    Imagen 001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 179
ayoye siboire!!!

how did that happen??

did you get it off afterall?

what i used to do with the msp was to put a piece of wood up against the rim and whack it with the back of an axe (that's all i had back then..). No need to be gentle here: the piece of wood will deform before there's any damage...

Latest posts

Back