New system plans, input plz

threemod

:
Strato Blue 3s 5-door
Heya all, new to the forums and owning a 3.
I'll be putting a computer in soon, with a touchscreen in the dash. I'm planning on fabricating a tilt up casing for the 7" touchscreen where the navigation monitor would be. I've already got all of it worked out, but was wondering if anyone knows if I could get my hands on just the casing for the navigation system. Might make installation easier and cleaner. I'm also working on designs for a mini keyboard for the visor (will have the visor detachable for normal keyboard use also), but just got my 3 a few days ago and still working on dimensions.

Has anyone tried to install small subs (8" or 10" or so) under the 2 front seats? I haven't even checked out whats under there, but if it is possible, it's part of the plans.

I want to keep things stock and clean in appearance, with features hidden.

Will be posting pictures and progress soon.

the factory nav bezel? wouldn't that make it kinda pointless to have a touchscreen. . seems awful far to have to reach to move a mouse point. i am putting in a lilliput in this week in a mazda 3 hatch molded to a dash kit to replace the stereo, the bezel is already glued and ready for some fiberglass. . ill be taking progress pics as work progresses and should be done by the end of the week

ive had a carputer in my protege5 for about 2 years and its been totally worth it so far

traitorhound said:
the factory nav bezel? wouldn't that make it kinda pointless to have a touchscreen. . seems awful far to have to reach to move a mouse point. i am putting in a lilliput in this week in a mazda 3 hatch molded to a dash kit to replace the stereo, the bezel is already glued and ready for some fiberglass. . ill be taking progress pics as work progresses and should be done by the end of the week

ive had a carputer in my protege5 for about 2 years and its been totally worth it so far

I've thought about having the touch screen above the center AC vents for awhile, and I think I'm still going to stick with it for a couple of reasons.
1) I can keep all the stock console parts and functions easier that way.
2) I want my LCD to be able to "disappear." A mechanized in-dash screen would be best, but those are damn expensive. A flip up screen like that of the factory navi screen would be the best alternative IMO.
3) I'm 6'2" and can reach the area I would be installing with ease. I'll be seeing if its further than I think by seeing if I can easily reach that area whenever I mess with the audio from now on.

I'm also tempted to wait 6 months for wireless USB products to come out. Then I'll just have the touchscreen modded slightly to become a tablet with the PC guts all external in the dash. Then no dash mods/cutting/removal would be necessary. It will take some tough electrical work though, and I'd probably use it more out of the car than in it ;)

Glad to hear you have a setup going, I'd like to see pictures when they are available. Always nice to see other ideas and routes that people have taken.

as far as putting subs under the seats, i know the passanger seat has a sensor under it for the airbag (so that if a small child is in that seat it shuts off). And its not that big of a deal but there are also some vents under there for the rear floor heat.

i am doing sort of the same type of install and wanted to keep everything stock looking as well, i was thinking of taking out the jack from where it goes and making a box for it under the trunk floor in those lil storage things and fiberglassing a box for my 10' into the jack hole, it will stick out some but will leave me with most of my trunk space. my sub only needs 1 cf of space in a sealed box... interested to see how your install goes, and keyboard on the visor sounds like a pretty sweet idea to me....

check out the 3's on cardomain.com. There are several there that have the sub in the jack hole. jack hole...that sounds nasty! :)

Back