Replacing the factory head unit...

EMAGDNIM

:
Mazda 3
I hope someone here can help me out. Im going to look at a Masda 3 tomorrow night. I went earlier this week and was pleased with the 3...

Now they have a demo that they are giving me for a GREAT deal...the thing is Im not too crazy for the stock CD player :eek: so has anyone else replaced the deck with another companys deck (Pio, Sony, Alpine, etc)...

any you happy with the switch (huh)

look around man, lots of people have, some don't b/c they like the way it looks... others do it right away... there are kits out there for the molding problems so any stereo place will be able to sell you one when you switch over. you loose your display along with the stereo do dads and the steering wheel controls though....(i also think the auto leveling will be gone as well... not sure though)

Controls

I put an Alpine in my 3 as soon as the dask kit came out. I went thru AutoToys on the net. If you also order SWIX steering wheel controller interface, you can retain steering wheel controls. Install was easy for both. The interface took a bit of time, because the the type of wheel controls you get are tied into the type of remote with the new headunit. i.e. the new wheel controls will only control ONE function, while the headunit remote may control multiple functions. My trade off was the ability to go through programmed radio stations, or go through CD tracks. I ussually burn MP3 cds, so I took the radio stations.
Anyways, get the dash kit, wiring harness, and interface. I ran the eye through the vents and out the middle vents, it has good range as long as the eye on the headunit can "see" the eye of the interface, it was the easiest (No drilling) but the if the sun is shining directly on it, like any infrared remote, it looses function.
All in all, after 30000 + km I really love the switch.

Back