Lowering Springs

FrankieNYC

:
Mazda 3S
I've found some that are $179 and some that are over $300, so I dont know which way to go and I dont know which name brnads are better. Anyone have any suggestions on good lowering springs?

The ones that are $179 are Progress Technology and the ones that were $300 are H & R.

I dont wanna buy crap to put in the car so is it better to just go with the more expensive one?

not exactly, i know for a fact the the same lowering springs that mazdaspeed sells for a god awful amount is the same a a known company that sells them for 200

Progress and H&R are both good names. You might want to find out if one is a linear spring and one is progressive. That and spring rates should be your deciding factor, not cost.

moved to suspension.

Goldwing...what do you recommend...I'm not sure what the diff is between progressive & linear, or what spring rates are better or worse for what I want...Can you lend your expertise??

I want the advantage of having bette handling, but I dont want to ruin anything by hitting a pothole, also, I dont want it to be "super track stiff" since its my daily driver...but I want to get the most handling I can out of it...I know it sounds like I'm asking for the best of both worlds, but I just want some advice on where the common ground is...I'm willing to sacrifice some on both ends...just dont want to be regretting my decision....If you can help, please do!

i LOVE the eibach prokit. not too low but definately noticeable. the ride is a little stiffer than stock and it feels as tho i have way more control over the car. i cant imagine driving without them now.

I have the progress technology springs on mine, they definatly increased the handling of the car, yet its not to stiff. Mine is a daily driver as well. On top of that they gave the car a little bit more aggresive appearance wich was just what i was looking for. As far as spring rates and all that crap i have no clue, all i know is they worked for me and my budget.

FrankieNYC said:
I've found some that are $179 and some that are over $300, so I dont know which way to go and I dont know which name brnads are better. Anyone have any suggestions on good lowering springs?
$300 seems a little high for the H&R springs. I got mine from a tuner shop for around 225 plus 100 to install them. The H&R springs are linear springs but ride very well for a daily driver. 1.5" drop. Great handling! Quality product.

Attachments

• axcela_side.jpg
    axcela_side.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 262
  • axcela_rear1.jpg
    axcela_rear1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 234
  • axcela_front.jpg
    axcela_front.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I have Eibach Sportlines and they are a very aggresive drop. I have hit things in the middle of the hwy at high speeds and hit the bottom of my car. I do not recommend these for someone living in an area that has a lot of road debris or poor road conditions.

Attachments

• 2005_03_03  Lowered Mazda 001.jpg
    2005_03_03 Lowered Mazda 001.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 2005_03_03  Lowered Mazda 005.jpg
    2005_03_03 Lowered Mazda 005.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 2005_19_03 Rileys Party 001.jpg
    2005_19_03 Rileys Party 001.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 844
what is progressive and what is linear? Sorry for the dumb question but I want to know what i'm talking about when I go to get some springs

dread said:
what is progressive and what is linear? Sorry for the dumb question but I want to know what i'm talking about when I go to get some springs
Linear springs have the same rate thoughout the entire range of travel. Progressive springs rate changes thoughout the travel. If you look at the spring itself you can tell because the coils will be wound closer at one end then the other. Progressive springs can be nice becuase they are soft during easy to moderate driving but get stiffer the more you flex them.

(gun) i gotta question.....i been reading this, and the one question i have is with buying aftermarket lowering springs, what does that leave for your stock struts? should they be replaced along with the spring? because i gotta MSP, and i kno those struts in some dealers eyes "aftermarket", i dont wanna rip through struts just b/c i want the look

You should have struts with the springs otherwise you are going to screw your supension. I asked the dealer because the mazdaspeed springs are out for $275 but the struts aren't available yet. They said your struts need to fit your springs.

Question on rear spring

does anyone know how to remove the springs in the rear tire, i removed the bolt in the spring, disconnected the lower control arm from the hub, but spring still won't budge

dread said:
You should have struts with the springs otherwise you are going to screw your supension. I asked the dealer because the mazdaspeed springs are out for $275 but the struts aren't available yet. They said your struts need to fit your springs.

the struts are out and i can order them

Back