lowest tire acceptable for stock rim...

Silver Bull3t

:
3s 5d MT Sunlight Silver Opt:CGN,WLK,LS1,1AB,1MC
40 series too little for stock height and rim, or will it just look plain silly?(boom07)

Silver Bull3t said:
width...?, I don't think so, duh!
(piss)

width affects the height of the sidewall when you're talking about tires with a specific sidewall size. if you don't understand this please learn before being insulting (yupnope)

toucci said:
width affects the height of the sidewall when you're talking about tires with a specific sidewall size. if you don't understand this please learn before being insulting (yupnope)

Um....The data I understand.... Your need to assume I already had the answer to the question I was asking.... is why I'm insulted.

Back on topic..
Then could you please illuminate me as to what you mean??? I havn't really seen this mentioned on the boards before, so I 'm not familiar with this having such a huge impact on sizing...

I'm also guessing that the influence of width on height/series is much more negligable than the influence of actually changing the height/series... I mean a 215 from a 205 is what a +5 mm offset per side?.... So this +5mm on each side will affect tire height/series perceptable to the average human?

Pls explain...I'm all ears man. (hear ya)

Last edited:
traitorhound said:
with tire size. . the 2nd number is the aspect ratio of the tire.. so a 40 series is 40% of the width of the tire

OK....things are starting to make some sense now.....

Last edited:
Silver Bull3t said:
Um....The data I understand.... Your need to assume I already had the answer to the question I was asking.... is why I'm insulted.

Back on topic..
Then could you please illuminate me as to what you mean??? I havn't really seen this mentioned on the boards before, so I 'm not familiar with this having such a huge impact on sizing...

I'm also guessing that the influence of width on height/series is much more negligable than the influence of actually changing the height/series... I mean a 215 from a 205 is what a +5 mm offset per side?.... So this +5mm on each side will affect tire height/series perceptable to the average human?

Pls explain...I'm all ears man. (hear ya)
You be the judge. (perception)
This is the actual tire sizes of the examples you used.
A 205/50/17 has a total diameter = 25.07" (636.778mm)
A 215/50/17 has a total diameter = 25.46" (646.684mm)
Total difference is 0.39" (9.906mm)
Percentage difference is 1.57%

So, driving on 215/50/17's would mean your speedo would be off by 1.57%
When your speedo says 65 mph (104.61 km/hr) you would actually be going 66.02 mph (106.25 km/hr)
Not a big deal.

djltoronto said:
You be the judge. (perception)
This is the actual tire sizes of the examples you used.
A 205/50/17 has a total diameter = 25.07" (636.778mm)
A 215/50/17 has a total diameter = 25.46" (646.684mm)
Total difference is 0.39" (9.906mm)
Percentage difference is 1.57%

So, driving on 215/50/17's would mean your speedo would be off by 1.57%
When your speedo says 65 mph (104.61 km/hr) you would actually be going 66.02 mph (106.25 km/hr)
Not a big deal.
These numbers are based on a tire rated as "205" is actually 205mm wide.
In reality, all tires vary slightly from this.

Back