widest tire acceptable for stock rim...

Silver Bull3t

:
3s 5d MT Sunlight Silver Opt:CGN,WLK,LS1,1AB,1MC
riddle me this...

Think there'd be too much sidewall play with 225 50 17s? Would a 45 instead of the 50 series be better?... (stock rims and not gonna lower).

Or is a 215 a better way to go. I'm looking for a wide contact patch but want to keep flex minimal.

(peep)

Silver Bull3t said:
riddle me this...

Think there'd be too much sidewall play with 225 50 17s? Would a 45 instead of the 50 series be better?... (stock rims and not gonna lower).

Or is a 215 a better way to go. I'm looking for a wide contact patch but want to keep flex minimal.

(peep)

A 225/50 will be too tall. A 225/45 is the ideal height overall, but realistically, the 225 is too wide for the 6.5 inch wide wheel. That isn't to say that it won't work, in fact several members run that application, it is just really cramming a wide tire on a narrow wheel. A 7 inch wide wheel would be best at minimum for a 225 tire.

If it were me, I would run a 215 to ensure a lack of problems down the road.

i would second that recommendation. i have 215/45's on th estock rims and they're nice. i had a 225/45 tire on once, but it was just a little too wide for me on that rim. worried me a little.

ok, how bout....

215 40 17s...... too low? (everything stock).. I can get them cheaper than 45s of the same brand.

Will this be too little rubber and just look dumb on a stock-height 3? (uhm)

One thing you have to remember is not all tires with the same numbers are exactly the same. I had 225/45/17 Falkens on the stockers and they fit perfectly. And when I got new rims I was comparing 225's and found that the Nitto's are wider and taller than the Falkens.

Silver Bull3t said:
riddle me this...

(peep)

I have 225/40x18 on 18x7 rims on my wife's Honda Accord Euro...I worry about the tyre being too wide for the rim..I would be paranoid about a 225 ona 6.5" rim...stick with the widest size for the OE rim ie 215/45x17"..you'll sleep better RED SP23 (drive)

Back