ABS

3XL

:
Mazda 3
Has any Mazda 3 owner found any problems with the lack of ABS on their vehicles. The ABS is optional on the Mazda 3, so for those who dint get the option...Has anybody experienced any mishaps?.

I have a 3 wagon and it's been great without ABS. In fact getting the car moving on icy/slippy roads is actually harder than stopping it.

I have a hatch sans ABS, wasn't that big of a problem when ice came to atlanta (was more concerned with the other atlanta drivers).

I haven't lamented not having it, then again, I was always used to pumping and threshold braking

WookieOnRitalin said:
Get the ABS.

Not for the ABS, but for the side airbags.

Apparently a Mazda 3 without them is close to fatal.

Good point... but the side air bags only give it a "poor" rating in a side impact. I mean what's really to be expected if a SUV hits you in the side?

On a side note I find it interesting that this new crash data is a criticism of compact cars rather than the poor design and high bumpers of sport utility vehicles. I wonder how the Mazda3 rates against getting hit by a tank... those stupid Mazda3 engineers just can't make a compact car tank proof. (braindead

well i mean the h2 resembles a tank. but you wouldn't get hit by an h2, you would get run over by an h2.

*gasp*

A reminder for people who prefer small sporty compact cars for economy/price/handling/etc:

SUV's are frickin huge. They are also slow loud lumbering beasts where quick dodgy movements are physically impossible. It's not hard to tell that one of them is going too fast to stop in time... or that one of them is doing something crazy/dangerous. If you are in a small sporty car and are paying attention, it's also not hard to stay out of their way.

I don't expect my Mazda3's safety systems to protect me completely if I get smacked anywhere but the tailgate with an SUV... but I more than trust the handling, acceleration, and braking systems of my smallish maneuverable car to keep me well out of the path of a maurading mountaineer, exploding explorer, leapin' landcruiser, or sliding sequoia.

If you have kids you desperately need to protect, then get an SUV or van, if you are worried about yourself, then treat all the people around you like idiots who might weave unexpectedly or have a blowout... and leave yourself some room to maneuver.

Let's stay on topic here. The question was regarding ABS brakes.

There's already a couple other threads going if want to piss and moan about SUVs.

ABS on a car of this size and weight is not really that great of a option as say on larger cars or vans. Really if people learn how to control their brake pressure more then ABS wouldn't have a huge use. You'll be fine without.

REMillers said:
ABS on a car of this size and weight is not really that great of a option as say on larger cars or vans. Really if people learn how to control their brake pressure more then ABS wouldn't have a huge use. You'll be fine without.

true. ABS only helped me out once, and marginally at that...

i didnt realize there was so much snow on the ground still, and i still did slip a little, but some defensive steering on my part (and no cars around) saved my ass more then ABS.....

Back