Who is getting (or planning to get) a CX-70?

Antoine

Administrator
I know there's a lot of talk about the CX-70 not meeting expectations with regards to size, seating and lack of differentiation from the CX-90 etc...That said, I'd like to know who feels that it does meet their expectations and in what way? Also, who is purchasing or planning to purchase a CX-70?

Let us know...Thanks!

Call me biased, but its a strong consideration for me personally. I, like most others, REALLY wanted the CX-60 with the inline six drivetrain. Since my wife works for our company also and our office is walking distance from our home, neither of us commute so I sold my Wrangler 392 a few months ago and we've just been using my ND Miata and her S3, which lease ends in about a year and a half. We want to replace the S3 with something family friendly as we are planning for kids soon and have a shortlist of the CX70, X5, Defender and Grand Cherokee.

X5 is a flawless SUV choice, but pricey even with our discounts. It won't be what I consider special, but I had an M340i in the past and BMW does build a quality, but expensive, product. The Defenders are just special, we have had two, both the 4cyl and 6cyl (the 4cyl is honestly enough engine for that car, but the 6 is nice and effortless). The Defender is $$$ and our A/C went out in like 2 months on the first one we got lol, but its just special esp with the air suspension. The Grand Cherokee is a safe bet, its got Chrysler quality :sick: but has nice touch points, looks good and will satisfy our needs, its just not special and is really only a consideration due to us having a major CDJR relationship in FL not far from me where I can pretty much write my own deal (got 10% off my 392 plus some rebates on top).

That leaves the CX-70, and after letting the disappointment settle of their launch, it has really really grown on me. I don't want or need a 3rd row, but the extra space doesn't hurt and we've had larger vehicles like the Defender. Call it silly, but without the CX60 in play, the value proposition of the CX70 is just massive compared to these other options and I think that was Mazdas intention. For me personally, I think the CX-90 is a tad too "lux" or "family car" looking for my taste, but the CX-70 body upgrades for the sportier curb appeal make a big difference, the rest is just noise. The CX-90 is a great car, so the CX-70 will also be a great car - I think if Mazda called it the CX-90 M-Edition or some sort of sport version instead of the CX-70 the reception would have been much more positive.

Now the downside is, I love red interiors - my wife wants a white interior, neither of us want Black interior again - CX-70 is Black or Red only, unless you get tan on the top trim which neither of us like :cry:

1712612962938.png

tl;dr Pretend its a CX-90 Sport Edition and if you're shopping it against an X5 or similar, you'll find the CX-70 is a solid value option worth considering. 90% of the quality, drive and performance for 75% of the price (Probably half the payment on a lease).

For me personally, I think the CX-90 is a tad too "lux" or "family car" looking for my taste, but the CX-70 body upgrades for the sportier curb appeal make a big difference, the rest is just noise. The CX-90 is a great car, so the CX-70 will also be a great car - I think if Mazda called it the CX-90 M-Edition or some sort of sport version instead of the CX-70 the reception would have been much more positive.

Now the downside is, I love red interiors - my wife wants a white interior, neither of us want Black interior again - CX-70 is Black or Red only, unless you get tan on the top trim which neither of us like :cry:

1712612962938.png

tl;dr Pretend its a CX-90 Sport Edition and if you're shopping it against an X5 or similar, you'll find the CX-70 is a solid value option worth considering. 90% of the quality, drive and performance for 75% of the price (Probably half the payment on a lease).
Excellent points, Matt...I think it's also Mazda's intention to be in the BMW conversation (which seems to be happening here a lot more now). Great way to look at the CX-70 (as a more value oriented or sporty CX-90) and why Mazda does not yet offer a high performance spec like BMW is beyond me...Perhaps they're working up to such offerings...

Do keep us updated on your CX-70 intentions!

Call me biased, but its a strong consideration for me personally. I, like most others, REALLY wanted the CX-60 with the inline six drivetrain. Since my wife works for our company also and our office is walking distance from our home, neither of us commute so I sold my Wrangler 392 a few months ago and we've just been using my ND Miata and her S3, which lease ends in about a year and a half. We want to replace the S3 with something family friendly as we are planning for kids soon and have a shortlist of the CX70, X5, Defender and Grand Cherokee.

X5 is a flawless SUV choice, but pricey even with our discounts. It won't be what I consider special, but I had an M340i in the past and BMW does build a quality, but expensive, product. The Defenders are just special, we have had two, both the 4cyl and 6cyl (the 4cyl is honestly enough engine for that car, but the 6 is nice and effortless). The Defender is $$$ and our A/C went out in like 2 months on the first one we got lol, but its just special esp with the air suspension. The Grand Cherokee is a safe bet, its got Chrysler quality :sick: but has nice touch points, looks good and will satisfy our needs, its just not special and is really only a consideration due to us having a major CDJR relationship in FL not far from me where I can pretty much write my own deal (got 10% off my 392 plus some rebates on top).

If looing for a CX-60 sized SUV, might I suggest the BMW X3. It is the same 186inchish size as the CX-60 and can be had for less than the X5 which is another 7" longer, 4" wider, 1" taller and 600lbs heavier than the X3. 2025 is a new model which will bring it up to the refinement of the X5. The next-gen X3 model (G45) is 47 mm (1.85 in) longer, 29 mm (1.14 in) wider, and 16 mm (0.16 in) lower than the outgoing X3 (G01). The current M40i version and upcoming M50 version has B58 motor and ZF 8 speed transmision like the current X5 40i. Figure about $8-$10K cheaper than a comparable X5 with a 4.4s 0-60 time.

1712749054711.png

Last edited:
If looing for a CX-60 sized SUV, might I suggest the BMW X3. It is the same 186inchish size as the CX-60 and can be had for less than the X5 which is another 7" longer, 4" wider, 1" taller and 600lbs heavier than the X3. 2025 is a new model which will bring it up to the refinement of the X5. The next-gen X3 model (G45) is 47 mm (1.85 in) longer, 29 mm (1.14 in) wider, and 16 mm (0.16 in) lower than the outgoing X3 (G01). The current M40i version and upcoming M50 version has B58 motor and ZF 8 speed transmision like the current X5 40i. Figure about $8-$10K cheaper than a comparable X5 with a 4.4s 0-60 time.

View attachment 327215
Definitely a consideration, I have the beauty of no timeline so still in a holding pattern until the right deal and right car comes around. We surely don't need the X5 or CX-70 size (70 is actually bigger than the X5) but I've done a ton of car shuffling in my time, kind of looking forward to going for the long(er) play on this next one. X3 just felt a little too mundane for me , but the new redesign may sway me.

2005 RX8
2013 GLI
2015 Golf TDI
2016 Miata
2017 CX5
2017 CX5
2019 CX5
2017 Mini Cooper S
2020 BMW M340i
1997 Miata
2020 CX30
2021 CX5
2021 Mazda3HB Turbo
2021 Wrangler Altitude
+some bikes in between
--queue major post-COVID flipping market--
2022 Wrangler 4xe
2023 Defender P300
2022 Wrangler 4xe
2023 Defender P400
2023 Wrangler 4xe
2023 Wrangler 4xe
2023 Wrangler 392
--Here I am today---
2023 Audi S3

Miatas are the only cars that never left my hands, M340i is my biggest regret selling, such a perfect car. Big reason I strongly lean towards a new BMW with the 40i motor is based on my experience with the M340i, its something you can be happy with for a long time.

X3 just felt a little too mundane for me , but the new redesign may sway me.
Holy crap, were you driving the base 4 cylinder? That is an embarrassment that my wife's minivan has a better power to weight ratio than any modern BMW on the planet. The X3 M40i is faster and more agile than the first 3 or 4 generations of the M3! While I think the X5 is a better vehicle refinement wise, the X3 M40i is a blast to drive. It's basically a somewhat longer and heavier M340i.

All B58 with about 380hp and 8 speed ZF tranmission. In 2025 they will all share the TU2 version of the motor (B58B30M2) conservatively rated at 375hp and 384lbft of torque.
X5 40i 194", 5000lb
X3 M40i 186", 4,400lb
M340i 177", 3,800lb

Did you get an ETA on the vehicle when you ordered? Wondering when we will start to see these around.
The dealership had ordered the exact car I wanted for inventory so I didn't pre order it. They said Aug but the sales person thinks July.

Back