Tire Rotation Patterns

:
2019 CX-5 AWD
I find it interesting that Mazda recommends a cross tire rotation, while Toyota and Nissan recommend front to back (regardless of drive).

Mazda Tire Rotation
09080302-usa-001.png

Toyota Tire Rotation
Current Rav4 owners manual
(Page 407)
2023 Toyota Rav4 owners manual - OwnersMan

rav4tires.png

Like Conrad 16.5 I use “semi-cross” tire rotation pattern on my CX-5 as Mazda recommended. But I’d use front-to-back keeping-the-tires-on-the-same-side tire rotation pattern if I had a Toyota RAV4. Just follow whatever the manufacture recommended pattern.

Some directional tires (used to be popular) have to be kept on the same side during their service life, I believe that’s a part of reasons why Toyota and Nissan choose this front-to-back pattern.

I personally prefer the “semi-cross” rotation pattern as I feel the road tires can have a service duration with different rotation direction. It also smoothes out minor irregular tread wear such as feathering better with opposite tire rotation. Another benefit to most DIYers who do the tire rotation one by one is it has one less tire removal process for the tire rotation.

It depends.
If you use directional tires, you should only do front<->rear.
If non-directional, your call.
I prefer F<->R only.

The rear tends to wear on the inside (small negative camber), and the front on the outside (depending on how aggressive drive at turns).
So, it works well.

Rotation is done on every oil change for my vehicles.

I prefer F<->R only.

The rear tends to wear on the inside (small negative camber), and the front on the outside (depending on how aggressive drive at turns).
So, it works well.

Even if you crossover, the same holds (the outside is still the outside) :)

Yes, but the rotation direction is reversed.
OE tires are not directional, BTW.
That’s why I prefer Mazda’s semi-cross tire rotation pattern as it has the best of both worlds.

I only rotate my tires when I change from winter to general each year. I figure the winter tires will degrade from age before the tread is gone, and the general are the reviled stock tires. If I have to replace them one season early, no big deal.

Odds are I'll buy a new car before my 3rd set of All Season tires, whether I rotate them properly or not.

In other words, I don't sweat the tire rotations.

Back