Steering making noise (2019 CX-9). Any ideas?

I know the TSB says to replace the steering column, but they are blaming a bolt getting loose, it sounds like torque and loctite could maybe solve the problem?

Mazda latency seems to replace items instead of repairing them. This is what happened with the infotainment screen, they replace the complete screen with a 1500$ module, when the fix is a 30$ digitizer that can be purchased online.

TSB 06-004/23 says, "Some customers may complain about a creaking noise coming from the steering column while driving. A steering column nut loosens due to excessive load when driving on irregular roads. To eliminate this concern, the tightening torque for the steering column nut has been increased."

We don't know if the replacement steering column has the fastener that can accept a tighter torque without stripping the threads. That may be the reason for the complete replacement. I would not increase the torque on the old unit, but do use loctite.

TSB 06-004/23 says, "Some customers may complain about a creaking noise coming from the steering column while driving. A steering column nut loosens due to excessive load when driving on irregular roads. To eliminate this concern, the tightening torque for the steering column nut has been increased."

We don't know if the replacement steering column has the fastener that can accept a tighter torque without stripping the threads. That may be the reason for the complete replacement. I would not increase the torque on the old unit, but do use loctite.
I havent increased the torque, and a needle tip of locktite should be fine in my personal opinion, otherwise just get in the habit of tightening it back up every few months if you have a load of dirt roads

Back