Spark plug dilemma (2014 CX-5)

MichalP

22 CX-9 GT
:
Canada
I know this subject was discussed many times but I feel like there is a new development and I need an advise.

So my wife's CX5 from 2014 2.5L engine is due for the spark plugs change. I went to the local dealer here in Canada. I asked for quotes knowing it is going to be pricey. Well they asking $51 per plug($204 total). Another $175 for labour. That motivated me into doing the job myself. I don't know why they are charging over an hour for the process. Old times but on my old mazda 3 I paid like $160 for the whole thing at the dealer. $80 for plugs and 30 min of labour.

Anyway I went through all the forums to get a better understanding of the subject. I have got all the tools and I am aware of the topic for NGK OEM replacement ILKAR7L11. They suppose to be the exact same version as what the dealer sells. I found in the local Canadian Tire store the correct version for $22 a piece. Looks like a steal so I went to check and to my surprise they are manufactured in Thailand. Actually the clerk in the store told me that his system shows they are made in Canada. Well this model was engraved with Thailand.

It's $30 difference per plug but the country of origin is concerning. I am planning to go back to the dealer to check where their spark plugs are coming from. I am curious if they are still made in Japan. I know that in the end country of origin might not make a difference but if dealer's version is still made in Japan and being the proper Mazda version I am willing to pay extra for the plugs. I am still going to replace them by myself anyway to save on that crazy labour rate.

What's your opinion and if anybody had a chance to use the Thailand version or even did see them somewhere. This is the link to the website. Pictures still show Japan on them but obviously it's an old one.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...-0183619p.0180317.html?loc=plp&rq=spark+plugs

The NGK OE Laser Iridium are the correct plugs. Just buy them from your local parts dealer, and you'll be fine. I'd kinda stay away from ordering online though, and I'd *never* buy them from eBay or Amazon. Way too easy to get forgeries.

The link I provided it is for the local store. That's why I was able to check and found out that they are being manufactured in Thailand.

This is my dilemma. Should I buy the Thailand version or pay significantly more for the Mazda dealer version.

Just ordered new spark plugs for my 2014 Touring. At $13.28 each is a much better price than the ~$26-$27 from online Mazda dealer price. Shouldn't have to be concerned about counterfeits.

ETA Advance and Autozone were $19.99 and O'Reilly was $21.99 for local purchase.

Last edited:
Just ordered new spark plugs for my 2014 Touring. At $13.28 each is a much better price than the ~$26-$27 from online Mazda dealer price. Shouldn't have to be concerned about counterfeits.

ETA Advance and Autozone were $19.99 and O'Reilly was $21.99 for local purchase.
But where did you get the NGK’s for $13.28 each?

I know this subject was discussed many times but I feel like there is a new development and I need an advise.

So my wife's CX5 from 2014 2.5L engine is due for the spark plugs change. I went to the local dealer here in Canada. I asked for quotes knowing it is going to be pricey. Well they asking $51 per plug($204 total). Another $175 for labour. That motivated me into doing the job myself. I don't know why they are charging over an hour for the process. Old times but on my old mazda 3 I paid like $160 for the whole thing at the dealer. $80 for plugs and 30 min of labour.

Anyway I went through all the forums to get a better understanding of the subject. I have got all the tools and I am aware of the topic for NGK OEM replacement ILKAR7L11. They suppose to be the exact same version as what the dealer sells. I found in the local Canadian Tire store the correct version for $22 a piece. Looks like a steal so I went to check and to my surprise they are manufactured in Thailand. Actually the clerk in the store told me that his system shows they are made in Canada. Well this model was engraved with Thailand.

It's $30 difference per plug but the country of origin is concerning. I am planning to go back to the dealer to check where their spark plugs are coming from. I am curious if they are still made in Japan. I know that in the end country of origin might not make a difference but if dealer's version is still made in Japan and being the proper Mazda version I am willing to pay extra for the plugs. I am still going to replace them by myself anyway to save on that crazy labour rate.

What's your opinion and if anybody had a chance to use the Thailand version or even did see them somewhere. This is the link to the website. Pictures still show Japan on them but obviously it's an old one.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...-0183619p.0180317.html?loc=plp&rq=spark+plugs

Spark Plugs: OEM vs Aftermarket

I believe currently the Mazda OEM PE5R-18-110 / NGK ILKAR7L11 spark plug with Mazda imprint is still made in Japan; but the aftermarket NGK ILKAR7L11 / 94124.spark plug now is made in Thailand.

The NGK that I had put in last summer were made in Thailand, and the new spark plugs from Mazda today are made in Japan. On my drive to work tonight I noticed my CX-5 is smoother 👌😁

Last edited:
Just click on the NGK product that I linked. That's where I ordered them from. Doesn't it work for you?
My mistake. I saw the NGK.com and didn’t move down the page and see the price for purchase. And I didn’t know you can order the NGK plugs directly from the manufacture / distributer. It’s strange that the price listed at manufacture’s website is MUCH lower than authorized NGK dealers such as the Advance Auto Parts? How long does it take to receive the plugs? Let us know if the aftermarket NGK plugs for CX-5 are now made in Thailand instead of Japan. My guess is Thailand.

Last edited:
My mistake. I saw the NGK.com and didn’t move down the page and see the price for purchase. And I didn’t know you can order the NGK plugs directly from the manufacture / distributer. It’s strange that the price listed at manufacture’s website is MUCH lower than authorized NGK dealers such as the Advance Auto Parts?
The business behind this website is actually sparkplugs.com, not NGK. I'm not saying it isn't legit but it isn't associated with the manufacturer of the spark plugs, NGK's site is here and they don't directly sell their products.

Yes, you are correct. I ordered thinking it was NGK and then seeing the sparkplugs.com after ordering and thinking it was NGK related/affiliate. I did some searching in the 'wee hours' this AM before bed and didn't turn up anything negative, some positive experiences/recommendations in 2020 and some going back to 2010 on a few websites.

I apologize for not doing more "due diligence" before posting. Finding that was welcome after getting burned out checking different online Mazda dealer websites that A) sucked for navigating and B) may not have items in stock , as well as other websites. Then there were many complaints of counterfeit plugs from Amazon and especially ebay. RockAuto didn't escape scrutiny either.

At any rate, they seem to be a volume seller, have been around a long time and ship quick. I received an email dated within 3 hours with a USPS tracking number (it's valid) and indicates that last evening was already in a USPS distribution center. I'm not too concerned at this point.
Oh yes, shipping for me was listed as ~ $8 USPS ground and ~ $13 USPS priority. No tax charged. This might help if you're considering going local pickup.
ETA Forgot to mention that there may be usable discount coupons available. I later ran across some coupon websites advertising such but it was too late to investigate. And I do believe that there was a box to enter a discount code on the ordering form but I didn't have one and wasn't going searching at that point.
All of this for spark plugs. Buying spark plugs used to simple and cheap.

Last edited:
The business behind this website is actually sparkplugs.com, not NGK. I'm not saying it isn't legit but it isn't associated with the manufacturer of the spark plugs, NGK's site is here and they don't directly sell their products.
Thanks for clarfication.

Always remember that before replacing the plugs yourself is once you have the ignition coil off the plug, use the air compressor to rid of any potential risk of sand or something going in the hole. It’s an easy job. Takes me about 20 minutes. Good luck 😁 ZOOMZOOM

⋯ I ordered thinking it was NGK and then seeing the sparkplugs.com after ordering and thinking it was NGK related/affiliate.
I always believe there’s no free lunch. If it’s too good to be true, it probably is. Selling $13.28 each while the NGK authorized dealer / Advance Auto sells $19.99 for NGK ILKAR7L11 plug seems too good to be true. OTOH, RockAuto sells $10.08 each for the same plug which means your price is still high. Of course I didn’t add the shipping which could make big difference after that. My guess is still your NGK plugs from sparkplugs.com are made in Thailand.

⋯ All of this for spark plugs. Buying spark plugs used to simple and cheap.
Yes, spark plug used to be simple and cheap, $1 ~ $3 each even from NGK. The Honda OEM NGK plug for my 1998 Honda CR-V currently is still only $3.10 each from an online Honda dealer. Must be that tiny iridium tip is so much more expensive than the copper / nickel tip! 🤪

Last edited:
I always believe there’s no free lunch. If it’s too good to be true, it probably is. Selling $13.28 each while the NGK authorized dealer / Advance Auto sells $19.99 for NGK ILKAR7L11 plug seems too good to be true. OTOH, RockAuto sells $10.08 each for the same plug which means your price is still high. Of course I didn’t add the shipping which could make big difference after that. My guess is still your NGK plugs from sparkplugs.com are made in Thailand.
I agree with what you're saying about no free lunch, however, to me a higher price doesn't always assure higher quality. Check battery prices recently from auto parts stores vs Costco vs Walmart. I felt Rockauto might be dicey and that NGK.com had a better chance of being more legitimate. And maybe they get a better price from an NGK manufacturing plant in Thailand than from USA factory. My decision was a "middle" type of choice that seemed to have legitimacy. It really galls my a$$ to pay even $20 for a spark plug much less $26-27 plus shipping from an online dealer. Haven't even checked the local list price (or list price plus) dealer. I used to get a 15% parts discount. Those days are long gone after they did a fairly major renovation. Gotta pay for it somehow. I still remember the $450 quote to change belt tensioner with new belts @ 29,000 miles (~6 years ago) long before Mazda parts (and labor) prices really increased.
I'll see where they are made when I receive them and check the resistance values and report back.

I agree with what you're saying about no free lunch, however, to me a higher price doesn't always assure higher quality. Check battery prices recently from auto parts stores vs Costco vs Walmart. I felt Rockauto might be dicey and that NGK.com had a better chance of being more legitimate. And maybe they get a better price from an NGK manufacturing plant in Thailand than from USA factory. My decision was a "middle" type of choice that seemed to have legitimacy. It really galls my a$$ to pay even $20 for a spark plug much less $26-27 plus shipping from an online dealer. Haven't even checked the local list price (or list price plus) dealer. I used to get a 15% parts discount. Those days are long gone after they did a fairly major renovation. Gotta pay for it somehow. I still remember the $450 quote to change belt tensioner with new belts @ 29,000 miles (~6 years ago) long before Mazda parts (and labor) prices really increased.
I'll see where they are made when I receive them and check the resistance values and report back.
I agree with you, higher price only buys you better chance to get better quality goods, but no guarantee. Your decision with middle type of choice that seemed to have legitimacy is sound to me.

Yeah the auto parts and labor are really skyrocketed after the pandemic! Now the administration is going to increase the tariffs to 102.5% on EVs, and 50% duties on solar cells and chips imported from China, these definitely will make the inflation even worse!

Yes, you are correct. I ordered thinking it was NGK and then seeing the sparkplugs.com after ordering and thinking it was NGK related/affiliate. I did some searching in the 'wee hours' this AM before bed and didn't turn up anything negative, some positive experiences/recommendations in 2020 and some going back to 2010 on a few websites.

I apologize for not doing more "due diligence" before posting. Finding that was welcome after getting burned out checking different online Mazda dealer websites that A) sucked for navigating and B) may not have items in stock , as well as other websites. Then there were many complaints of counterfeit plugs from Amazon and especially ebay. RockAuto didn't escape scrutiny either.

At any rate, they seem to be a volume seller, have been around a long time and ship quick. I received an email dated within 3 hours with a USPS tracking number (it's valid) and indicates that last evening was already in a USPS distribution center. I'm not too concerned at this point.
Oh yes, shipping for me was listed as ~ $8 USPS ground and ~ $13 USPS priority. No tax charged. This might help if you're considering going local pickup.
ETA Forgot to mention that there may be usable discount coupons available. I later ran across some coupon websites advertising such but it was too late to investigate. And I do believe that there was a box to enter a discount code on the ordering form but I didn't have one and wasn't going searching at that point.
All of this for spark plugs. Buying spark plugs used to simple and cheap.
I buy plugs from this source. These are not counterfeit plugs.

I just bought a spare set of plugs for my 24 T from RockAuto, they had the best price I could find.

I'm using these to tune with. They appear to be the real deal.

Like so many other parts, the market has been flooded with counterfeits and prices are all from one extreme to another.

BTW, changing plugs on a 2.5l is very easy. You will save even if you have to buy tools to do it the first time.

I've checked my tune by reading a plug. This require changing one plug on the side of the road. I've got it down to less than 5 minuets. You need an 8mm socket, 14mm spark plug socket and a couple of screw drivers...

I agree with you, higher price only buys you better chance to get better quality goods, but no guarantee. Your decision with middle type of choice that seemed to have legitimacy is sound to me.

Yeah the auto parts and labor are really skyrocketed after the pandemic! Now the administration is going to increase the tariffs to 102.5% on EVs, and 50% duties on solar cells and chips imported from China, these definitely will make the inflation even worse!
Sounds just like our government. Just saw something about the government considering imposing required expensive upgrades to new construction so as to achieve major carbon reductions. Of which solar panels are a part, so why not raise the price, eh?
Regarding EV's from China, I'm not in the market for an EV but just saw on youtube videos about massive EV buildup (there's apparently a lot of brands offered) and some with quality problems like axles falling off. 😱
Not trying to veer this thread to the political side but noticed these developments in the last 2 days.
"nuff said".

I buy plugs from this source. These are not counterfeit plugs.

I just bought a spare set of plugs for my 24 T from RockAuto, they had the best price I could find.

I'm using these to tune with. They appear to be the real deal.

Like so many other parts, the market has been flooded with counterfeits and prices are all from one extreme to another.

BTW, changing plugs on a 2.5l is very easy. You will save even if you have to buy tools to do it the first time.

I've checked my tune by reading a plug. This require changing one plug on the side of the road. I've got it down to less than 5 minuets. You need an 8mm socket, 14mm spark plug socket and a couple of screw drivers...
Thanks for the confirmation of legitimacy.

Back