Questions About Infotainment System - Just got a 2013 CX-5

I just got this car and have nothing more serious to ask about, but I do have some questions about the infotainment system.

My car is a CX5 touring. I think it is the base model so would have the standard infotainment system.

It has a number of function buttons like AM, FM, CD, Bluetooth, CD, AUX, Nav and others.

If I press Nav nothing happens. I read a little that it is a TomTom system and when the system turns on the screen has TomTom on it. I don't see TomTom on the screen. I also read a description that the map info is stored on a SD card usually on the dash left of the steering wheel. I don't see any little sliding window or anything like that in this area. So is it possible it has those switches but doesn't have that feature. The fact that it has the button sort of suggests maybe there is a way to enable the feature. Is it because the SD card, wherever it is, if it is there at all has been corrupted or is missing. Would that explain why it does nothing.

I also have read there is a USB port for the radio in the console/armrest area and some things about what it says or the symbols on it. I suppose to use it with USB that is what you would attach a flash drive with music files or a flash drive with a firmware update. I haven't attached anything yet. I did see a description of how ot see what firmware Mazda connect has in the infotainment center. It said to press the button on the far right called settings. There was one called setup (or maybe it was the other way around) and if I press it I can adjust a number of things like appearance and things like that or to revert to the default settings. I didn't see anything that lists the firmware version I have.

I'm interested in the firmware because I would like to see if it can be updated to work with Android Auto. I have a dongle that works with receivers, etc that can work with Android Auto and allows the music to come via a wirelessly to the dongle and then to the system. I've read Android Auto had all sorts of issues, but this system worked well on my previous car that was Android Auto ready.

I did notice that some of these functions were in white and others in grey. AM/FM/Bluetooth were white. The ones that didn't do anything were grey. This sort of indicates they weren't available, but maybe it is just because I had nothing plugged into them, the SD card in the case of the navigation system, etc. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me though to have switches for things that aren't present on the system though, they serve no purpose.

So I'm at a loss on all of this. The car did come with an owners manual, but I don't think it will mention anything about firmware updates.

The factory radio features are, shall we say, "lacking". And the BT module is a known problem in these years of cars. The USB port is in the console between the seats. Don't bother with TomTom, as old GPS guidance software goes instantly out of date the day after you load it. I use Waze via Android Auto.

Luckily it's a standard double DIN size, so it's easily replaced with a modern radio that you can get CarPlay and Android Auto on. And if you get a radio that is iDataLink Maestro RR compatatible, you can even get full gauges, right on the radio!

Personally I went with Kenwood, but Alpine, JVC, Pioneer, and Sony also make them.

Attachments

• IMG_20201209_162404218_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201209_162404218_HDR.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that a double DIN should fit. It sort of seemed the infotainment center was quite integrated with some other features as well, maybe the Maestro RR includes some of those functions as well as gauges. Then again the car is new to me, maybe it just seems that way.

The backup camera looks a little fuzzy and doesn't have the trajectory lines and I haven't found any settings to turn them on. I just was reading about it this morning and found the stock camera is 6V and the aftermarket head units are different, probably 12V. So if I replace the head unit or the camera I may need some sort of step up or down converter. It's not like I can't see the image, it's just not all that clear.

I was hoping maybe with a firmware upgrade the stock unit could run Android Auto and I could use it while I sort out what head unit, etc to get.

I did learn the if I attach my phone by usb cable to the head unit USB port if it has AA I should see it displayed on my phone. So if the firmware can be updated and the previous owner updated it I can probably just plug the dongle in. The manufacturer of the dongle also has a compatibility tester on their website.

I think getting the maps online where they are automatically updated is a better way to do it too.

I just have a lot of little details to look into and figure out the best approach to do it. What little time I have spend in the car so far I was busy driving, not a good time to fiddle with screens, messing with setups, etc.

Touring is a mid-trim level.

I have the same system in my 2015 Mazda 6. It is just awful. Please don't waste your time with that poop.

If I had a first gen CX5 (2013-2015) I would immediately replace the radio with a nice aftermarket one. Without hesitation. You're lucky you have the option.

If I had a first gen CX5 (2013-2015) I would immediately replace the radio with a nice aftermarket one. Without hesitation. You're lucky you have the option.

Yea, it's just awful. Everything is slow and unresponsive. I'll occasionally connect my bluetooth, and use the back up camera, that's all. There was some long periods where I had the screen dimmed to not have to turn it off everytime I get behind the wheel.

If you keep your factory camera, yes there's an inexpensive converter that is available.
Other than that you could always replace the camera with a newer one. I got my aftermarket camera from Amazon for like $25, and it looks exactly like the factory one.

I was thinking of an aftermarket camera. I also see that the 2013 must be sort of unique. The AUX and USB text is greyed out. I've read that in a little newer models to fix this you replace the media USB hub. I can find them for 2014-2016, but not 2013. I've also read that a flash drive anyway has to be FAT32 and not too big. I may play around a little with that. I only tried plugging a phone in so far. The replacement media hubs I've found are about $60 anyway. I figure this might be simple quick fix but I don't know that I want to pay that much for something that I may not need, although maybe I will as the Aux USB connector in would be connected to any new head unit so if it is the hub that can't detect newer things a new head unit might not work with it either.

I swapped my factory radio out for a Kenwood many years ago (there's posts somewhere here, but I'm away and don't have the links). I reused the factory camera with a voltage adapter and it works fine. You will need other adapters through to reuse the steering wheel controls etc.

You do lose the ability to configure things in the car, but as I did, you can just set them all to your liking before you remove the factory radio and they'll stay that way forever.

I may use an adapter and use the OEM camera at first. The stock camera works, it is just fuzzy. Maybe water got in. Sounds like it was an issue in the early models plus it is an older car at this point.

I may do the aftermarket radio and camera at the same time. I can find lots of info on using a new camera with the stock radio and using a new radio with the stock camera. I haven't found anything on retaining the existing head unit to camera wiring and installing both an aftermarket radio and camera at the same time. I may have to put different connectors on the wires and tie in to the reverse light wire in the back to turn it on. Looking for some wiring diagrams at the moment.

I have to pull the camera out from under the hatch handle and see the best way to mount an aftermarket camera in that spot. Maybe I can do something to the clip and mount to that so it clips back in or use small plates on the inside and outside in that spot with holes in them to run the barrel of the camera through.

Back