Recommended tune for my mods??

MM BOOST

:
07 MS3 GT CB
Alright tuning gurus, need some quick help before I pull the trigger on a $700 cobb ap. My current mods are as follows:

-cobb sri
-medieval turbo inlet
-s.u. boost tubes
-forge by pass valve blue spring, 1 shim
-turbo xs downpipe
-gutted stock midpipe (gutted 2nd cat)
-racing beat catback
-denso 1 step colder plugs
-S.U.TMIC

Can anyone recommend which tune I will need for my car to run correctly?? I would greatly appreciate the help. I know there has been alot of confusion as to which tune would be best, so thats why I figure'd I'd ask the pros. Thanks guys. Hope you guys can help me!

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend which tune I will need for my car to run correctly

Get an AP and get access tuner race. Take it to a dyno and have the car custom tuned to your mods. Trying the off the shelf maps for your strange mod combinations would be suicide for your turbo.

Alright tuning gurus, need some quick help before I pull the trigger on a $700 cobb ap. My current mods are as follows:

-cobb sri
-medieval turbo inlet
-s.u. boost tubes
-forge by pass valve blue spring, 1 shim
-turbo xs downpipe
-gutted stock midpipe (gutted 2nd cat)
-racing beat catback
-denso 1 step colder plugs
-either S.U. TMIC or Turbo XS FMIC (have to decide which intercooler I am ordering tonight)

Can anyone recommend which tune I will need for my car to run correctly?? I would greatly appreciate the help. I know there has been alot of confusion as to which tune would be best, so thats why I figure'd I'd ask the pros. Thanks guys. Hope you guys can help me!

no need. be patient and check on MSF. people are selling APs for 500-525 used. i got mine for 500 shipped

pretty much what they said...your mods are not gonna work very well with a offtheshelf map. custom tune is what you will need my friend. But once you get a custom tune..your car will be a beast ;)

off the shelf will work until I can get a custom tune done right? i don't know of anyone remotely close to where I live that can tune the cobb for me, so I don't know what to do. I was reading up, i was thinkin i needed to do the stage 2 93 octane+sf+tmic v103?

you got it. the off the shelf maps will do fine until you get a custom tune

ummmmmmm ok...it will work if your very careful with your car..dont hot rod it..these cars are extremly picky..and each car is different.the type of fuel and climate all come into play on how you car behaves. I mean if you go by what cobb says...I should be just fine with stage 2...I have the sf intake..so got the corrent maf..the cobb downpipe..You think i would be good to go..cause I got the exact mods listed for the map..but then im getting almost 3 knock on my datalogs..thats not kosher for me. your mods are alot different..specialy cause you have no cats at all...Obviously you gotta do what you gotta do..just please be careful and datalog your car and see how its behaving...just my 2cents.

Will do man, I am trying to be smart about it and have been reading up big time on everything. Trying to find someone locally where I can do the custom tune, but I am going to run the stage 2 for now. I have a gutted 2nd cat, which I know is still free flowing (i did this to pass visuals in VA) and it seems to have added back a little more backpressure in comparison to the turbo xs test pipe I had. I have very miniscule amounts of boost spikes right now, car holds pretty steady, so I might be ok for a while. Thanks so much.

you will most likely have boost spikes when you run a map, i do. if so, you can always throw your OEM bpv back on which should stop spiking

Just getting my 2 cents in. You'll have to just try one of the ots maps, and see how your car runs. Just take it easy, and make lots of logs to monitor what is going on with your car. You'll want to keep an eye on the KR, fuel pressure, AFR, and your fuel trims. Your not going to know how your car is going to respond until you get an AP, and try it. Everyone of these cars is so different. You have people with stock cars that have strange KR issues, and stock cars that dont. You have people running various ots maps that are fine at wot, but have KR issues at part throttle, and ap users that have the reverse problem fine at part throttle, but have KR at wot, I fall into this category, but it's mostly 1-2 when holding 16,17 psi. Personally I think the only way to get the car running its best is to custom tune it, but that option isnt available to everyone, so those of us in that boat have to wing it. Buy the AP try the ots map that fits your mods the best, keep it off of wot for 100 miles (start logging around 25) and see what happens. If it comes close enough that an e-tune might be able to dial it in you can go that route, or if its so bad that you need a custom tune then you'll have to decide to find a place, or sell the AP.

With my forge running blue+1 I was spiking to 20, so I went back to the stock bpv, and the car drove like s*** in 2nd gear. I wound up (ecu reset did nothing) reflashing the map, and that fixed the issue. I am now running my forge with yellow+1 and am spiking 19. I was hitting 19 with the stock bpv as well.

off the shelf will work until I can get a custom tune done right? i don't know of anyone remotely close to where I live that can tune the cobb for me, so I don't know what to do. I was reading up, i was thinkin i needed to do the stage 2 93 octane+sf+tmic v103?

You don't have to look for a Cobb specific tuner. The guy that is going to tune mine has never tuned via an AP but Access Tuner Race is a fairly straight forward tuning program that almost any tuning shop should be able to use. I'm always picky with my car and would not use an off the shelf map unless my mods fit exactly.

ummmmmmm ok...it will work if your very careful with your car..dont hot rod it..these cars are extremly picky..and each car is different.the type of fuel and climate all come into play on how you car behaves. I mean if you go by what cobb says...I should be just fine with stage 2...I have the sf intake..so got the corrent maf..the cobb downpipe..You think i would be good to go..cause I got the exact mods listed for the map..but then im getting almost 3 knock on my datalogs..thats not kosher for me. your mods are alot different..specialy cause you have no cats at all...Obviously you gotta do what you gotta do..just please be careful and datalog your car and see how its behaving...just my 2cents.

do you have an upgraded fuelpump? if you dont than thats your problem, stock pump cant put out enough fuel for that.

For the modifications that you have, an OTS stage 2 tune for the SF intake will work just fine. The big factor is the intake and since you have that superior COBB product already on your car, the AccessPORT is clearly the choice to make and you can download AccessTUNER Race for free and get a tune or take it to a ProTUner for a custom tune.

Travis
COBB Tuning

so if im having 3 knock on a stage 2 sf 91 ots map then I should be fine :) COOL!!!!! and I thought knock was bad lol(shrug)

running stage 2+ 93 octane +SF v1.03 and got the S.U. top mount installed.

Went through my break in period (100 miles) and finally got to messing around with it tonight, when I merged on the interstate, I put the hammer down and it ripped my head in the seat. it was spinning the tires in 3rd gear from a roll merging. I was like holy s***. I had the boost live data showing, and it said I hit 22.9 lbs of boost (spike im guessing)...um, this can not be normal. Anything I can do to remedy this?

oh and running blue spring + one shim. would you guys recommend switching to the red spring on my forge or backing it down to no shim or possibly yellow spring?

Back