Rear wheel well protector missing? new purchase

MEB

:
16.5 GT w/Tech AWD
I just bought a GT and noticed the inside of both rear wheel wells do not have a plastic protector (? terminology) like the front, the 'gray felt' is exposed. This can't be correct? I had the wheels switched out at the dealer when purchased. Please confirm for me. Haven't been able to find pics online.

Yours is exactly like mine. they use the felt to help quiet things down, its cheap to produce and its light.

Good Grief! I live in the land of Rain / Moss - yuk. Is there an OEM for this, or is it just not worth it? Harrumph!

Mazda uses this material on all models. Many other Japanese makers do the same. It's tried and proven!

Mazda uses this material on all models. Many other Japanese makers do the same. It's tried and proven!

I don't doubt that, but it just seems impractical for those that live in wet environments, not to have a light weight 'shield' protector in addition or an option. Sigh.

I don't doubt that, but it just seems impractical for those that live in wet environments, not to have a light weight 'shield' protector in addition or an option. Sigh.

I've driven through Wisconsin winters with it, mixes of salt, gravel, and snow, and they always come out looking clean. They use this material instead of a hard plastic because it reduces the sound that is transmitted from rocks flicking off the tires.

I have had the felt in a Lexus, a Toyota and a Ford and all have been subject to some pretty intense weather here by Lake Erie. We are one of the lucky areas that get buried by Lake Effect snow and lots of rain. Every car that has the felt has held up fine.
No worries as all.

I've driven through Wisconsin winters with it, mixes of salt, gravel, and snow, and they always come out looking clean. They use this material instead of a hard plastic because it reduces the sound that is transmitted from rocks flicking off the tires.

That makes me feel way better! And I'm glad for the reduction in noise. Thx!

The same exists on my 2016 Mustang - the rear wheel wells have the felt liners, the front liners are the "old school" plastic liners... Our 2016.5 CX-5 has the same rear felt liners too...

I would think if it costs that much less for the felt, the auto manufacturers would be doing the same for the front liners... ?? I wonder if "felt flocking" the front liners would produce the same results as the factory rear liners?

It's not actually felt. Some kind of engineered material that helps with sound. 3 years on mine looks the same as it did when new...

I just bought a GT and noticed the inside of both rear wheel wells do not have a plastic protector (? terminology) like the front, the 'gray felt' is exposed. This can't be correct? I had the wheels switched out at the dealer when purchased. Please confirm for me. Haven't been able to find pics online.
This felt-like material used in the rear wheel well liner has been discussed since 2012: :)

Rear wheel well cover material looks questionable

Back