Pinging...wah?

CF_KoiFry

:
2003 Protege5
Ok, so I drive to Nashville for import alliance. I'd been running regular grade fuel in the car with no issues. I put premium in the thing, and on the drive back from nashville it's starts to ping on me. The car has never pinged before, and the engine threw me a code.
p0325
p0660
p0421

The p0421 I understand...there's no precat on the car and the main cat is...well...shot. Needs to be done away with and no fouler's put in. I'm not buying another cat, Alabama does not require emissions testing.

The P0660 is a little concerning. But, not a big deal, p0660 won't even activate the CEL. VICS solenoid...i'm half tempted to remove that as well.

It's the p0325, Knock sensor malfunction that bothers me.

I live at a rather high altitude as it is. Foothills of the appalachians, and headed to a higher altitude, with a higher grade fuel...less oxygen, slower burning fuel, why is it pinging?

It's got spark plugs that are less than a year old, and coil packs that were replaced the same time the spark plugs were.

I cleared the codes with my scanner, but the check engine light came back on when I was headed to work. My guess it's the p0421 again, but I'll scan here again soon and see what it tells me.
Now, my idle was rather low when I got home from Nashville. Puling through town, there aren't many stop lights so I didn't get much of a chance to let it idle down, but when it did, it would hover around 200rpm or so, usually it sits around 5-600 rpm idle. It didn't misfire or ping at idle, didn't idle rough...just low. (ping around 1500 rpm, stops at about 2k) I'm off work tomorrow, I'll check the EGR.

I don't recall seeing a yellow p5 at import alliance just a blue msp and quiete a few speed 3's.

Check the resistance on the knock sensor. If its pinging it may have went bad

Back