Need door latch actuator parts

I am very new to the forum but am happy to have found you! I have a 2003 Protege 5 and need 2 of those stupid nylon cog gears for the door latch actuators. The motors work just fine. I hate to spend +/- $40 for each unit when all I need is that piece. I have looked online everywhere. The latest post I could find here was from 2019 but the link to Amazon doesn’t work.

Attachments

• 5CFBCA61-1479-453C-84FE-D4BD5C1AD41C.jpeg
    5CFBCA61-1479-453C-84FE-D4BD5C1AD41C.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 80
I am very new to the forum but am happy to have found you! I have a 2003 Protege 5 and need 2 of those stupid nylon cog gears for the door latch actuators. The motors work just fine. I hate to spend +/- $40 for each unit when all I need is that piece. I have looked online everywhere. The latest post I could find here was from 2019 but the link to Amazon doesn’t work.
My brother had two of these broken in the exact same way when he bought his Protege.

I came to the same conclusion after I took the old ones apart to see how they broke and wondered if I could just buy replacement gears or epoxy them, but couldn't find any options online and I don't know how well Epoxy would hold up. I did think about 3D printing replacements, but I doubt they'd hold up either.

I ended up going to the junkyard and getting two replacement actuators for like $20 total or something like that (didn't cost enough for me to remember exactly how much). $40 a piece is kind of stupid for what they actually are, but compared to prices for other cars, it's not too bad even if you just buy the whole assembly new.

Try car-part.com if you want to be double sure that your local yard has a Protege, or just walk in and ask. Sedan and Wagon actuators are the same, but keep in mind that there are two different actuator models used in the doors (I think it's A & B and they are just reversed symmetrically), so if you get the whole assembly, make sure to get the right ones unless you plan to just swap the gear only.

Upvote 0
My brother had two of these broken in the exact same way when he bought his Protege.

I came to the same conclusion after I took the old ones apart to see how they broke and wondered if I could just buy replacement gears or epoxy them, but couldn't find any options online and I don't know how well Epoxy would hold up. I did think about 3D printing replacements, but I doubt they'd hold up either.

I ended up going to the junkyard and getting two replacement actuators for like $20 total or something like that (didn't cost enough for me to remember exactly how much). $40 a piece is kind of stupid for what they actually are, but compared to prices for other cars, it's not too bad even if you just buy the whole assembly new.

Try car-part.com if you want to be double sure that your local yard has a Protege, or just walk in and ask. Sedan and Wagon actuators are the same, but keep in mind that there are two different actuator models used in the doors (I think it's A & B and they are just reversed symmetrically), so if you get the whole assembly, make sure to get the right ones unless you plan to just swap the gear only.
Thanks. I hadn’t thought about 3D printing but I bet it would work. If they can print car body parts surely they can print that gear! I was considering a take apart place but those units are a pain getting out of the inside of the door and unscrewing the little box that it would probably be more cost effective for me to purchase the whole units rather than spending hours trying to extract them!

Upvote 0
Thanks. I hadn’t thought about 3D printing but I bet it would work. If they can print car body parts surely they can print that gear! I was considering a take apart place but those units are a pain getting out of the inside of the door and unscrewing the little box that it would probably be more cost effective for me to purchase the whole units rather than spending hours trying to extract them!
I'd be concerned about durability with 3d printing, and also consider the modeling time in CAD, if that's how you'd do it (not sure how else, maybe laser scan?). But it would be a cool project if you could get it to work. I always love any opportunity to use 3d printing in real world applications.

Come to think of it though, despite the fact that I enjoy CAD as a hobby, I think I'd personally opt for extracting the parts at a yard. After the first few goes, it only took me about 10 minutes to get the actuators out, and the door panels were usually already off of the cars anyways.

Just my two cents though. Let us know what you end up doing, I'm curious to know.

Upvote 0
I have a weird problem on my driver's door. If it's been sitting in direct sunlight the keyless entry actuators won't unlock the door. I can see it trying to pop up, but no joy. Is the sunlight heating the door enough to warp or deform these parts? Using the actual key to open the door works fine.

Upvote 0
I have a weird problem on my driver's door. If it's been sitting in direct sunlight the keyless entry actuators won't unlock the door. I can see it trying to pop up, but no joy. Is the sunlight heating the door enough to warp or deform these parts? Using the actual key to open the door works fine.
I've the same problem, best method I think is to open up the door and clean/lubricate all the moving parts with some white lithium grease. Something about heat makes the old grease sticky which in turn makes more work than the door actuator can handle (puns, Ha!)

Upvote 0
In the spirit of the original question, junkyard handles are going to be the way to go, or the link that PCB provided

They could be 3d printed but your average household print would snap pretty quick, they'd have to be resin printed at the minimum. You could 3d print one, make a mold and cast them pretty well though! (Sand cast aluminium parts would be so cool)

Upvote 0
I'd be concerned about durability with 3d printing, and also consider the modeling time in CAD, if that's how you'd do it (not sure how else, maybe laser scan?). But it would be a cool project if you could get it to work. I always love any opportunity to use 3d printing in real world applications.

Come to think of it though, despite the fact that I enjoy CAD as a hobby, I think I'd personally opt for extracting the parts at a yard. After the first few goes, it only took me about 10 minutes to get the actuators out, and the door panels were usually already off of the cars anyways.

Just my two cents though. Let us know what you end up doing, I'm curious to know.
Thanks. I’m going to order off Amazon where someone found them and hope they work🤞🏻

Upvote 0
Well I couldn’t find that!!! Will check it out, thanks!

It's listed for the Protégé sedan and the Protégé5 has a fifth door lock actuator for the tailgate, but I don't know if the tailgate actuator uses the same gear or if the sedan has a door lock actuator for the trunk?

Upvote 0
,.. but I don't know if the sedan has a door lock actuator for the trunk?

It looks like the sedan doesn't have a door lock actuator.
It's got a release handle in the cab and an emergency release handle inside the trunk.
I wonder if the emergency handle glows in the dark??

Screenshot_20220323-154632_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20220323-161444_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Upvote 0
Back