Nationals 2013

:
2012 Touring MT
Well after postponing last's years participation I made sure this year my car was going to be ready as well as myself. This years Nationals like always was an awesome experience, got to drive with the fastest drivers in the country, learn from them and enjoying the reunion with my Minnesota Autox family. I picked as a co-driver one of the fastest drivers in South Fla also instructor at GCAC in Ft. Myers Michel Lawson, he also has a few records at the Tail of the Dragon with his Nissan 350 Z. He had knowledge and data logging equipment.
Some people have never been to nationals so I thought that I could describe with pictures, videos and comments what is this all about:

One of the highlights of this trip was to meet Mr. Andy Hollis in person, amazing driver and knowledgeable, his input made possible the performance of my car this year."
9711591385_7b2a54cd12_z.jpg

I tried from experience years before to have the car as competitive as possible, sometimes uphill battles get old. Once the car was as ready as my budget allowed this year we packed up:
9711581179_960cfe7b19_n.jpg
9711581691_d0f028046b_n.jpg

You want to get to the event early enough to take some practice runs on the t&t course and start learning the courses for competition days. At the practice course yo get a feeling of the car set up and its behavior on a course with similar traction of the competition courses:

That first evening there is a Reception with dinner included followed by a visit to the Museum of American Speed, an awesome place:
9711597331_595c091bce_n.jpg
9714831318_e4cf0933a9_n.jpg
9711602415_d36f810c5f_n.jpg

First race day full of nice cars and adhrelanine pumping:
9711587535_0306153e8c.jpg
9711586565_9f8c0b1852.jpg

East course was very challenging for low power cars with multiple pin turns where keeping the speed was very difficult, at least for me.
9759013276_3e7047da59_o.jpg

I was very careful trying not to overcook the pin turns which I did but ended up sacrificing speed by braking too early and not using the whole tract to maintain speed.

My co-driver had a good first day. finished 3rd.

My co-driver managed to hurt his knee while working the course the first day, when I was looking for ice I found a massage therapist working at the Icecream place who was nice enough to help us. I take care of my beaches.. ;)
9711589937_f9df12f5f9.jpg

In the evenings some people go out the restaurants or bars downtown. We decided to stay in the hotels studying the course maps and resting.

Second day course was completely different, with ha better flow something i was used to more:
9758698294_9ac73b2e26_o.jpg

I drove like a FT Myers Event, trying to keep the speed , minimum breaking and lifting to rotate the car; I had a blast and my times were very decent. My co driver did not do as good as he wanted but managed to keep his 3rd position. After the first runs the grip went down hill an it was hard to get a better time from the first runs. My fastest run was my first one but I hit an inside cone.

At the end of second day a little bit of disappointment for not doing as well as expected but we learned a lot and we had a blast. We met awesome people and enjoyed watching very fast cars.
Here with the STF Champion Eric Sienkiewicz:
9714820572_8abf39f864.jpg

Award ceremony is really cool , in my case I got to spend time with my Minnesota friends
1234905_10202056309998156_657646783_n.jpg

Joe Austin the nicest guy and amazing driving as well:
9714819772_5e085d4e64.jpg

At the end good feelings and learned what need to be done to improve for next year. Thanks to my wife, Mike Costing from Costing Racing, and of course Andy Hollis...

Great memories:

9743854240_acf3d336a2_o.jpg

Andres

Last edited:
Awesome man. I'm jealous. What kind of car won stf class? Did you lose grip from tire wear or changing track conditions? How many competitors where in the stf class?

awesome post! glad you guys had a good time.

I believe the winning car was a mazda3 for STF

I believe the winning car was a mazda3 for STF

This is correct.

And the suspension had only just been put on the car prior to Nats. They were dialing it in on every run. True story.

I worked the role of "pit reporter" for the announce team for this heat and it was great fun interacting with all the competitors. You really get to experience the highs and lows of the ebb and flow of competition. Knowing most of the players and their cars makes it that much more interesting.

Lincoln is a unique surface, especially once it rubbers in, so tire selection is critical to a good performance. Among the street tired cars, the Toyo R1R and Dunlop seemed to have the advantage here. I know of several folks that had tested on BFGs at home and were faster, but retested at Lincoln on the practice course and found the opposite. The STX winner actually had a fresh set of Toyos air-freighted after his testing. The good news for STF is that all the top cars were on Rivals, so it didn't really matter.

I'm really excited to see the class grow to 25 entrants in just its second year. That is very encouraging, and speaks highly of the class concept. Kudos to all who came, and more of you should do so next year.

And if any of you wants helps dialing in your cars, I am usually around for the Evo sessions on the practice course from 12-2 each day. Just come find me. I got a little distracted this year with my own car problems, but that is usually not the case.

PS: Thanks for all the kind words, Andres. Pleasure to meet you.

Last edited:
Awesome man. I'm jealous. What kind of car won stf class? Did you lose grip from tire wear or changing track conditions? How many competitors where in the stf class?

Yes a Mazda 3 driven by a very fast kid, he beat us at Dixie with the same car bone stock, he has coilovers and sway bar now. He won a national Tour in 2010 in STX with a BMW.

Lincoln is a unique surface, especially once it rubbers in, so tire selection is critical to a good performance. Among the street tired cars, the Toyo R1R and Dunlop seemed to have the advantage here. I know of several folks that had tested on BFGs at home and were faster, but retested at Lincoln on the practice course and found the opposite. The STX winner actually had a fresh set of Toyos air-freighted after his testing. The good news for STF is that all the top cars were on Rivals, so it didn't really matter.
On the second day the heat and the OPR on the track (other people's rubber) created a slippery surface, like Andy said the Rivals probably were not the tires to win, although the winner was on Rivals, I think the heavier cars got a little more traction.
9714821982_cfcbbf4d27_z.jpg

The day before while working we discussed with some of the STS driver about the advantage of the R1R's and Dunlops over the Rivals. We had R1R's but we thought since the majority in STF had Rivals we would be ok.
One of the things we missed was to check data between runs to identify why we could not get faster even though we were driving well.. Later on the way home my co-driver drove me crazy with his data logger, we lost 1.2 g forces after my first run,, he could not get over it.. first Nationals for him ;) .

I'm really excited to see the class grow to 25 entrants in just its second year. That is very encouraging, and speaks highly of the class concept. Kudos to all who came, and more of you should do so next year.

And if any of you wants helps dialing in your cars, I am usually around for the Evo sessions on the practice course from 12-2 each day. Just come find me. I got a little distracted this year with my own car problems, but that is usually not the case.

PS: Thanks for all the kind words, Andres. Pleasure to meet you.

I had planned to have you test rive the car but could not find you I knew you were fixing your car; next time, the car will be better for you to test it.

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of fun Andres! I've only been to a few NT events... maybe in a few years I'll make the trip!

Back