Looking to buy a 2012 Mazda3 but it burns a bit of oil

Hello! I'm new here so if I'm doing anything wrong please let me know! Im looking at a 2012 Mazda 3 skyactive with 190,000km, and it's tip top shape, not a scratch or blemish, clutch is tight, all is well. But it burns about a litre of oil between changes. I read a bit on Reddit switching to the high moly Mazda specific 0w20 could help, but I'm wondering if I should take the dive, or if this is an issue I should be cautious of. Thanks in advance

Consuming oil may result in premature failure of the catalytic converter, and that can be expensive to replace. How often have the oil changes been done? Perhaps extended time periods or mileage is the reason for the oil consumption.
Of course, if the asking price of the car is super-low, it may be worth the consumption issue.

one quart of oil every oil change interval (5000-7500km) is considered "within range" and generally not excessive oil consumption, by oil consumption standards. In reality, no consumption should be acceptable.

If you use 5w40, this should help reduce consumption. It appears that my 2.5L skyactiv completely stopped consuming oil upon switching to and sticking with 5w30-10w40.

I believe cars with more than 75,000 miles can use 5W-30 oil.

Back