HOW TO: Replacing foam & cloth on Protege seats

marcs_sp20

:
02 Mazda 323 Astina SP20 (P5)
Hey guys,

Recently I purchased a couple of SP20 seats off ebay, so I could replace the drivers side seat, as the foam & cloth on mine had perished. So thought I may as well do a how to so it could possibly help others ;)

Just for reference, the rails & frames are different between the drivers & passenger seats, with the foam & cloth differing slightly. The only thing thats the same are the seat bases. I myself used the drivers base, the rails off my seat (as the ones on the drivers seat I bought were bent), the frame off my seat, the foam from the bought drivers seat & seat cloth off the passenger seat (bonus being another map pocket! :D)

Tools Needed:
Socket set - 12 & 14mm sockets with extension
Phillips Screwdriver
Pliers
4x cable ties
2x cans of beer (maybe not :p)

Method:

1. - remove seat from the car, there are 4x 14mm bolts holding the seat in place, dont forget to unclip the drivers seat reminder loom!. Make sure not to scratch the door card trim and what not. As you can see below mine was not in the best of shape :(

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

2. Remove the headrest & the plastic holders, these just pull out

IMG_2636.jpg

3. Seeing as though I was going to use the drivers base of the seat from the pair I bought, I reused my rails. These are held in my 4x 12mm bolts at the base of the seat. For the moment I loosened them, but didnt take the rails off completely. I also split the clips in half holding the belt loom.

IMG_2637.jpg

4. Once this is done remove the side knobs, which are clipped in.

IMG_2640.jpg

5. Remove the seat tilt handle with a screwdriver, and to remove the plastic trim, there is a screw below the cloth, just above the rail

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

6. So that the back part of seat is seperated, unbolt the 2x 14mm bolts on the lever side, and the 1x 12mm bolt on the other side

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

7. There is a band of plastic holding the cloth together, unclip it and then remove the cloth!

IMG_2656.jpg

8. The front part of the seat cloth is velcro'd in, place your hand in and seperate

IMG_2657.jpg

9. Returning to the back, using a pair of pliers remove the clips holding the cloth to the spring frame

IMG_2658.jpg

10. Remove the springs from the frame & take the spring base out, same goes for the frame.

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

11. Everything is backwards from here, instead of re-using the clips to hold the cloth, I used trusty zipties. Same goes for holding the seat loom.

IMG_2663.jpg

Total time spent was around an hour, so yeah, my butt cheeks feel like they are in heaven, and I have soo much more more support!

Cheers
Marc

Back