Class action settlement reached for defective exhaust valve seals/oil burning on 2021 CX-5, CX-9 2.5T etc

Received a postcard in the mail today regarding a class action settlement reached with Mazda on the defective stem seals causing oil burning.

Current or former owners and/or lessees of a 2021-2022 Mazda CX-30, 2021 CX-5, 2021 CX-9, 2021-2022 Mazda3, and 2021 Mazda6 vehicle equipped with a 2.5L turbocharged engines

Here is the link to the settlement and claim form:

And frequently asked questions:

In a nutshell, Mazda will replace the defective exhaust valve seals NOW whether or not your low oil light has come on and set a code. All that you need to state is that you needed to add oil before an oil change was due.

Additionally, the powertrain warranty is extended for an additional 2 years and 24k miles after the 5 year 60k miles factory warranty to a total of 7 year 84k miles for affected VIN numbers.

You are also eligible to claim reimbursement for oil changes performed and oil used to refill the low oil to bring it back to normal operating levels.

Hope that helps everyone!

I am perplexed why Mazda does not do this proactively....
Only act after class action.
Worse publicity, and costs even more.

Received a postcard in the mail today regarding a class action settlement reached with Mazda on the defective stem seals causing oil burning.

Current or former owners and/or lessees of a 2021-2022 Mazda CX-30, 2021 CX-5, 2021 CX-9, 2021-2022 Mazda3, and 2021 Mazda6 vehicle equipped with a 2.5L turbocharged engines

Here is the link to the settlement and claim form:

And frequently asked questions:

In a nutshell, Mazda will replace the defective exhaust valve seals NOW whether or not your low oil light has come on and set a code. All that you need to state is that you needed to add oil before an oil change was due.

Additionally, the powertrain warranty is extended for an additional 2 years and 24k miles after the 5 year 60k miles factory warranty to a total of 7 year 84k miles for affected VIN numbers.

You are also eligible to claim reimbursement for oil changes performed and oil used to refill the low oil to bring it back to normal operating levels.

Hope that helps everyone!
Same. Just got mine today. Kinda funny cause I started buying bottles of oil and storing them in the garage.

Got my letter yesterday. I have been traveling with two quarts of Mobile1 in the back for over a year now. You know, just in case.

It's all about the Benjamins.... The American way!

I will do nothing and take the 84mth/84k warranty extension. As of yet, I have no issues.

because Mazda is just like all auto companies..they will not do anything they don't have to do without a fight . Many think Mazda is a small company that cares about it's customers but they really care more about making a profit and that is the most important thing.

Had this problem late December 2023 (2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus). Added oil on a 1K mile trip when the light came on. Had the oil/filter changed. Ran the code check device--no codes.

Took it into the Mazda dealer. They said 'unless the code is showing there isn't anything we can do'. Just got a call from the today.

And FWIW, any confusion about companies avoiding responsibility for repairing defective vehicles will be dispelled by Googling the Ford Pinto in the early '70's.

Had this problem late December 2023 (2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus). Added oil on a 1K mile trip when the light came on. Had the oil/filter changed. Ran the code check device--no codes.

Took it into the Mazda dealer. They said 'unless the code is showing there isn't anything we can do'. Just got a call from the today.

And FWIW, any confusion about companies avoiding responsibility for repairing defective vehicles will be dispelled by Googling the Ford Pinto in the early '70's.
Did you receive the settlement card in the mail and show it to them? It doesn't matter if there is a light or code set, it can be repaired right now according to the settlement stipulations. You just need to tell them that you had to add oil before the next oil change was due because it was low on the dipstick.

Call them back or call Mazda and tell them the dealer is refusing to acknowledge the settlement and giving you excuses.

I took it in prolly a month (6 weeks?) ago. My concerns about the light/adding oil situation are already documented by a local Mazda repair office.

Just got the card in the mail today. I get enough lame fake warranty stuff I started Googling to see if it were legit. Interesting how my vehicle most definitely fits the vin/year/oil light experience.

Will call my Mazda repair shop and see how they react. Thanks for the quick interaction!

I took it in prolly a month (6 weeks?) ago. My concerns about the light/adding oil situation are already documented by a local Mazda repair office.

Just got the card in the mail today. I get enough lame fake warranty stuff I started Googling to see if it were legit. Interesting how my vehicle most definitely fits the vin/year/oil light experience.

Will call my Mazda repair shop and see how they react. Thanks for the quick interaction!
Glad to help! Yes, this is definitely real but hear ya on the fake mail. Let us know how you make out.

If you read the "What happens Next" section of the card it says there will be a fairness hearing on 8/5/24 to "consider whether to approve the settlement" so it isn't finalized as of yet.

Back