Ford Announces a New "Global" High-Performance Focus

Kymerik

:
2003.5 Mazda Protege5
Ford announced today in Geneva that it will build a "global high-performance" version of the new Focus.

This won't come as any surprise to Europeans who have been treated to a steady stream of hot Focus ST and hotter RS models over the life of the model. To Americans, who have watched a once-promising little hatchback turn into a cheaped-down Chevy Cavalier competitor, the announcement of a new hot-hatch Focus is something to celebrate.

Ford isn't confirming that the new high-performance model will come to the United States. But it will. Don't expect that the new high-performance model will be a clone of the glowing-green, 301-horsepower killer that is the current European Focus RS. In fact, we expect that Ford will put the SVT badge on the vehicle when it arrives here. And don't start holding your breathe just yet. The regular Focus 5-door hatch and 4-door sedan won't even go on sale here before the end of the year. So you've got some time to wait before this thing hits.

Oh, and that photo above? We simply tweaked a picture of the 5-door Focus so we'd have something pretty for the top of this story. Ford has not released any photographs or sketches of the new high-performance model.

When it does, likely wearing the 5-door bodywork, it will be powered by a turbocharged, direct-injection four-cylinder motor, known to Ford as EcoBoost. That leaves two options: Either Ford could use a hot version of the 1.6-liter EcoBoost that will be part of the European-market regular Focus line-up or Ford might use the 2.0-liter EcoBoost that will also be offered in the Ford Edge. With the 263-horsepower Mazdaspeed3 out there tearing up the pavement, it's hard to imagine Ford would come with less than 250 hp.

And if that kind of power is to be routed solely through the front wheels, then we hope Ford uses a version of the "RevoKnuckle" front suspension it pioneered on the current Focus RS, which significantly reduces torque steer.

Ford_Focus_svt_1600-thumb-717x477.jpg

Even though thats just an admittedly photoshopped Focus...if it looks anything like that...*droooool*

Right now Ford is working on combining SVT, RS, and FPV into a global performance division. I believe it's already been done internally, but going forward they will most likely use one badge to designate them.

I'm glad they're bringing one back out, the market is ripe for an SVT Focus return.

A friend of mine just sold his for a Saab 9-2X, but an SVTF would be a great track car.

as much as i hated/loved that car, i've often entertained the idea of buying another just to use at autox events.

before settling on my protege, i had entertained the idea of getting an SVT focus...i gotta say, it didnt impress me with its acceleration, if anything, it left ALOT to be desired

Focus ST gets ready to roar

Next hot hatch to use 2.0-litre turbo power.

car_photo_360523_25.jpg

It's official Ford is readying a hot hatch version of the new Focus! Speaking at the Geneva Motor Show, product development boss Derrick Kuzak confirmed that a new fast version of the latest third-generation model is on the way.

It will get a turbocharged EcoBoost engine, be exciting to drive, great to look at and certainly worth waiting for, Kuzak said. Likely to be badged ST, the newcomer will ditch the current cars 2.5-litre five-cylinder engine for a more efficient and powerful direct-injection unit.

Insiders suggest this will be a 2.0-litre engine offering 250bhp and 350Nm of torque. This should power the new ST from 0-60mph in six seconds, and on to a top speed of 155mph. That will put it ahead of the VW Golf GTI and on terms with the Renaultsport Mgane 250.

While enthusiasts will miss the sound of the old STs warbling five-cylinder unit, theyll welcome the new cars increased efficiency. Fuel economy is expected to be 35mpg combined, while emissions of 175g/km are predicted. Add in torque vectoring electronics and a range of driving modes two of the new Focus key features and it should be thrilling to drive.

According to Kuzak, the new car will be a global performance model so will be sold both in Europe and the US for the first time. Development is being undertaken by the man behind the current RS, Jost Capito, who is Fords performance car boss and heads a team of expert engineers. Its likely to be available in five-door form, as well as a so far unrevealed three-door bodystyle. Theres even the possibility of a new coup variant.

An on-sale date has yet to be confirmed. The standard Focus hatch goes on sale early in 2011, so the ST is unlikely to appear until later next year at the earliest. Before then, Ford will launch a last-of-the-line RS Clubsport with more power and tweaked suspension.

The firm will then embark on a replacement for the RS, which will get the same turbocharged 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine as the ST, hooked up to a hybrid system complete with four-wheel drive.

[autoexpress]

Focus ST set for Paris

moz-screenshot-4.png
car_photo_384118_7.jpg

Wraps to come off new hot hatch at French show and will get more power and greater efficiency than existing ST.

A fire has been lit under the new Focus! An inside source at Ford has confirmed that a hot ST version of the all-new hatchback will break cover at the Paris Motor Show in October, alongside full production versions of the five-door and estate models.

Rumours have been circulating for some time about when the first new-generation fast Focus would rear its head, but only now do fans of high-performance cars have a date to put in their diary.

Back in March, Fords product development boss, Derrick Kuzak, revealed that the all-new Focus ST will get an EcoBoost turbocharged engine, be exciting to drive, great to look at and certainly worth waiting for. That suggests the outgoing cars thirsty 2.5-litre engine is to be replaced by a more efficient 2.0-litre direct-injection turbo unit.

Precise power outputs have yet to be confirmed, but the 2.0-litre EcoBoost already offered with 200bhp in the S-Max, Galaxy and Mondeo could easily produce 250bhp and 350Nm of torque. That would pitch the ST squarely at Renaultsports Mgane 250, yet still leave room for a 300bhp-plus RS version later in the cars life cycle.

The hot Ford is expected to be even faster than the super-quick Mgane, delivering 0-62mph in around six seconds and a 155mph top speed. But the STs trump card will be its ability to blend this pace with class-leading efficiency. Likely combined economy of 35mpg and 187g/km CO2 emissions would eclipse the 30mpg and 224g/km figures of the current ST by some margin.
In corners, clever torque vectoring software will juggle power between the front wheels to exploit every ounce of grip available to the new model. A variety of driving modes will alter throttle response and steering weight, depending on the drivers personal preferences.

The Focus five-door hatch and estate are scheduled to go on sale in April 2011, with the ST version due later in the year.

[autoexpress]

Latest posts

Back