2017~2024 CX-5 Sport Mode Driving issues?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
What would the downside be (if any) of driving in Sport Mode on a fairly regular basis apart from what I imagine is increased fuel consumption?

I gave it a go today on the way to work. I've been running standards for the last 6 years on my last car, so this was similar in some ways and very different in others. I enjoyed it!

Upvote 0
I've been being hard on my car by doing short trips. Then yesterday I didn't let it warm up, backed out of my garage and parked it in the driveway to get the lawn mower out, and later pulled back in the garage. So today when I started my car the engine didn't sound great, it was making a taping sound. So I took it for a drive, and after it warmed up I put it into sport mode and floored it on a long length of highway. The tach almost reached 6,000 and I was zoom zooming along. Did the hard acceleration two more times. The engine is now running quiet again.

Upvote 0
Sport mode is a gimmick. Its kinda fun yes but if we're being honest, its a gimmick and all it does it eat more gas.
I don't think it's a gimmick if you know when it is useful.

It is useful to get the car to do more engine braking, if desired.

But to me it is most useful coming up on turns. Switch it into Sport mode as you approach the turn and you'll hear it downshift. This will make coming out of the turn a much more pleasant experience, rather than bogging down at low RPMs with a transmission that is being too conservative. As you accelerate out, switch it back to Normal. It's a part of telling the car what you're about to do and how you want it to behave.

Upvote 0
Sport mode is a gimmick. Its kinda fun yes but if we're being honest, its a gimmick and all it does it eat more gas.

Disagree. At least in my 2016.5 GT, it adds quite a bit better acceleration and responsiveness. It also keeps the gear in a much more sane selection (for the conditions, amount of throttle depression).

A better approach, IMO, would be to properly tune the engine/transmission to distinguish between wanting to accelerate briskly, accelerate modestly, and wanting to just 'bop' along. If they did that, then likely the 'Sport' mode wouldn't be necessary.

In my own car, it bogs down a bit when I'm wanting to accelerate a little ... it simply refuses to downshift unless I mash the throttle to the floor. Plus, currently, it also upshifts much too early, to the point that even while accelerating it'll often get into 4th gear before I've even hit 20mph. (Insanity, if you ask me, but that's how it prefers to shift; and it'll shift that way unless I consistently mash on the throttle to override it. 'Sport' mode is the only way to get around that, short of constantly mashing the throttle to the floor.)

Upvote 0
I agree with Frosty. Climbing a long hill the car selects a taller gear and doesn't downshift as readily as you need it to requiring the pedal mashing to get power. Sport Mode keeps the engine "on cam" and ready to accelerate right now.

Upvote 0
I have a turbo, CX five. As many have mentioned when I wanna pass or go through an on-ramp with some speed, I hit the sport mode and it helps with control coming around turns or accelerating to pass people. I also have paddle shifters stock and occasionally use it, I always fill with 93 octane/30% e85 I put race fuel and noticed no difference (stock) By the way, I have zero performance mods. I plan on installing the JB4, corkboard TIP. Just waiting for a sale. After I install the performance mods above, I plan on testing race fuel/E 85,35% to see if there’s any different.

I was debating on meth injection but the car is still under warranty and I don’t want to mess with it. The JB4 and TIP are easy to remove/swap. I really wanna put a switch to open the exhaust dump before the second catalytic or even 1 converter. Also planning to put 20% to 30% with 93 octane to see if it makes any difference. When I had my BMW 335I (twin turbo) I was able to cut half a second off my time from 0 to 60 one, using Cobb tuner for 93 octane and 30% E 85.

I’m looking for 300 wheel horsepower, but with such a small turbo, it’s nearly impossible, operating the turbo or using meth injection.

Disappointment that my previous CX five GTR had a disable traction control. Wish there was a way to turn it off. I heard that running the sports mode, but there are mixed reviews about transmission problems down the lower period I did run 93 octane and I can confirm that at high speed (who will shift into fifth gear at over 100+ mph). Of course, this is all done in Mexico.

Finally, the transmission is meant for EPA best gas, mileage, not performance. I plan on waiting until the CX 60 comes out with the twin turbo 6. I heard that JB4 before has already come out with plug and play with 2 security connections versus the multiple connection to get it Connected. Planning on wait versus the CX 60. See the difference in weight.

Upvote 0

Latest posts

Back