2013~2016 CX-5 OEM Bluetooth Microphone with Aftermarket Stereo

:
2014 & 2019 CX-5 Touring(s)
In the ongoing series of adding an Aftermarket Head Unit while retaining as many of the factory accessories as possible, this is what I did for the Bluetooth microphone part...

I really wanted to reuse the stock microphone, but after perusing the schematics I saw there were 5 wires to the mic, implying that it was an active device - and that doesn't play well with aftermarket head units. Still I took the mic out from the car and took it apart to see if there was a way to make it work (see photos later). There wasn't. :( ... Plus, it's only a cheap condenser mic unit, so I decide it was better TO replace it anyway.

Therefore, I decided that the next best thing would be to replace the factory mic, in the stock position, with the head unit's mic; but at least reuse the factory wiring instead of having to route a long-assed microphone wire to Egypt and back (i.e. from the radio to the headliner).

So, first step is to remove the overhead light cluster unit from the headliner. This is very easy, just open the sunglass holder and undo the two phillips screws inside. Then, there's just one clip holding the front of the unit in, so pull down *carefully* on the sunglass holder to pull out the clip (see pic), then pull the unit forward to slide it out from the headliner. DO NOT YANK the unit down! For one thing there are two loose spacer washers on the top of the unit that will fly away and get lost (yes, one of mine fell out), plus there are two wire plugs (lights and mic) that you don't want to break. Once the unit is out from the headliner, unplug those two cables/connectors.

This picture is the overhead unit from the top, showing the clip and spacer washers, and factory mic unit clipped in place - there's one black clip in front and two grey clips at the back - easy to remove. Oh, and as a tip, once I found the dropped spacer washer, I put a dab of superglue on each of them, and fixed those sucka's back into place so they wouldn't fall out again :)

attachment.php

... and here's the headliner mic connector, showing the five color-coded wires that run to the back of the factory radio. You can choose to use any of these for your mic. I used the red and green, but it doesn't really matter - just remember WHAT you used so you get the same wires at each end :). At the bottom of the pic is the diagram of the plug at the back of the radio, where those 5 wires end up. NOTE: all 5 are grouped together, but NOT in the same order as they are in the headliner plug, so be careful!

attachment.php

Now, after unclipping the factory mic from the overhead light console, I 'gummied' the replacement mic in place. For this I used the 'fake-Sugru' trick (see: Oogoo) of mixing cheap silicone caulk with cornstarch (cornflour). Stuff sets within minutes and although it glues well, it's not nearly as difficult to remove as unadulterated silicone - meaning I can remove it if I want to go back to stock. This shows the replacement mic gummied in, and you can see the handy strain-relief clip for the wire that Mazda thoughtfully supplies, but doesn't use. Ugly I know, but no-one will ever see it in the car. If you do the same, obviously make sure that none of the 'goo' gets into, or covers, the microphone holes - including the noise cancelling holes! Or, is visible in the console grill holes. (UPDATE: see also, alternative, possibly easier, mic attachment idea in next post.)

attachment.php

Then I terminated the mic wire and shield onto a single row PC header strip (or you can just solder the wires to two pieces of single-core copper wire - or any other metal pins that will fit) and pushed them into the roofliner plug. (Note: the plug's pin spacing is a little less than 0.1", so I had to bend the pins together a bit to fit.) I only used the two outer pins here, the middle's a dummy, just for extra plugin friction:

attachment.php

... and finally, this is at the other end, plugged into the old radio plug (just FYI). In this case only the two middle pins are used (for the red and green wires).

attachment.php

... and that's all she wrote. The mic works perfectly, and callers on the other end cannot tell the difference between the my Galaxy S3 handheld, and via BT and the roof mic (at least while parked). So all's good.

I should point out here, that even though you may be replacing the factory radio, the factory Bluetooth unit remains powered on, and will attempt to connect to your phone. So you should UNPAIR all devices and disable Bluetooth(?) using the factory radio BEFORE you remove and replace it.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 1_RoofUnit.jpg
    1_RoofUnit.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 9,719
  • 2_RoofPlug.jpg
    2_RoofPlug.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 8,737
  • 4_GummiedMic.jpg
    4_GummiedMic.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 6,333
  • 5_PluggedIn.jpg
    5_PluggedIn.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 6,217
  • 6_PluggedIn2.jpg
    6_PluggedIn2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 6,059
Last edited:
As I said above, I also took the factory mic assembly apart. So as promised, these are a couple of pics of that.

This is the microphone unit, unclipped and disassembled as much as I could. The white connector shell is riveted onto the black plastic back and circuit board, so there was no way to see the back of the circuitry without destroying it. But I could confirm with an ohmmeter, that the mic condensor wires are not directly connected to the connector pins, and so is unusable for aftermarket.

attachment.php

Looking at this with 20-20 hindsight, I realize you could also just open up your factory microphone, remove the middle piece (mic and circuit board) to leave the far left and far right outer shell pieces. Clip those back together and gummy your new microphone in there, instead of directly into the overhead console. Then you can clip that whole thing back into the overhead console, making it both easier to do and easier to remove, if you return to stock in the future.

Anyway, lastly, here you can see the face of the condenser (arrow) inset into the large black rubber plug molding. It appears to be the simple, cheap, kind you'd get as a spare part at RadioShack, or in a cheap PC microphone.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7_ExplodedMic.jpg
    7_ExplodedMic.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 6,020
  • 8_Condenser.jpg
    8_Condenser.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 5,973
And boom. Redbaron has completed took care of my aftermarket conundrum. Thanks for the hard work - It will sure as hell make my life easier when I go aftermarket.

Big thanks to RedBaron for the details in this thread! Here's how I attached the mic for my new Pioneer NEX 4000.

I was able to pull the factory mic assembly without cutting any wires. I easily ran the new mic cable along the headliner and down the driver side pillar. The good folks at Pioneer even provided a tiny piece of double sided tape that worked perfectly to secure the Pioneer mic in place. If I every want to return to stock (unlikely), I just have to plug everything back into place.

2014-05-20%2010.25.38.jpg

I'm about to the order the same radio, where did you find the info for the mic wire run? I want to do the same thing

Once I removed off the sunglasses holder/light cluster, I knew it would be possible to run the wire as I described. There is an obvious path to tuck the wire under the molding along the pillar. I used a https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) to make tucking a bit easier. Once you get ready to make the turn by the trunk release (at least on my Mazda6), you can then run the wire under the steering column and on to the back of the head unit.

Good luck! Looking forward to Apple CarPlay...that's the main reason why I chose the Pioneer.

Hey Redbaron,

I registered on this forum although i don't own a Mazda, I own a Rav-4 2015, I recently installed an aftermarket headunit. Needless to say, the mic is not very sensitive. the party on the receiving end can hear me although he says it's not very clear. My question is, is there any way i can wire an aftermarket mic to the headunit via the factory wiring from the over head console. I can show you pics if you need. I hope i made sense !

Thank you! Idid exactly the same on my CX-9 2013 and it worked great!
I used wires with individual header connectors, then secured them with some tape to avoid them separating. The other end of the wire I soldered to the microphone black and red wires. The first picture is the connector behind the radio. The second is in the overhead compartment.
IMG_3719.jpg
IMG_3722.jpg

Back