Cargo box anyone?

:
SOLD 2002 Protege5; Current 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring
Hi, all.

Does anyone have a cargo box with their factory rails? What model box do you have and do you like it?

The family is taking a trip in July and we need to put a stroller, playpen, and luggage up there.

As usual, your recommendations are appreciated.

ZoomFive

I was only considering the hard boxes made by Thule or Yakima, but came across this. See the pic. Thoughts on boxes or this bag?

I figured I did not want to always keep the box on the car. This bag seems easier to store when not on the car.

ZoomFive

Attachments

• 601015-car-top-bag_large.jpg
    601015-car-top-bag_large.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 282
Seems like it might be pretty noisy flapping in the wind at highway speeds. Also, not sure how waterproof it would be in the rain.

For temporary use, here is a better soft box. stows in less space and a lot cheaper than the hard shells. waterproof material and taped seams.

http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=11&sku=630

Yup. Good suggestion. I saw that after I posted my picture above. The Thule is more expensive, but I like the fact that it has a collapsible base that mounts to your bars and then folds into a really compact size when not in use. Yakima has one that is less aerodynamic.

I love the idea of a box, but 1) don't want to always have it on my car like some folks and 2) can't really see myself storing a 70"+ box anywhere when not in use.

I am definitely leaning towards the bag, but need to dimensions on it. The playpen, stroller, and luggage need to fit in it. Seems like a smart decision given my needs and the fact that I will likely only use it 3 times a year.

I imagine that if you do not fill it, it will look deflated.

ZoomFive

Back