Car Issues After Low Battery From Sitting A While (2016 CX-5)

Hi, while I wasn't using my 2016 Mazda CX-5 much from working from home, my battery became low and needed to be charged. This happened twice over the past year. The second time, I noticed the e-brake dashboard light wouldn't go out but the e-brake functions properly.

I went to use my CX-5 last week and the batty was low again but had just enough to start the car. This time, many of the dashboard lights are lit, the speedometer stays on zero, I was able to disengage the e-brake but it will not re-engage, and the car won't turn off without me pressing the button a few times then holding it pressed. Even then, the radio stays on until I do that again.

Any ideas on what this is or what to expect if I end up having to go to the dealership? I usually fix my own car or at least know about what needs to be done so that I am not overcharged. I tried removing the battery for about 1 hour, fully charging it, then reinstalling and pressing the accessory button first before restarting to let the computer boot up, but that didn't help.

Thanks for any help or advice on what this is and what to do.

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad battery.

Did the car start OK after you removed the battery for 1 hour?
What year is vehicle, how old is battery, etc.

It's helps diagnosis if this info is offered.

Sounds like a bad battery.

Did the car start OK after you removed the battery for 1 hour?
What year is vehicle, how old is battery, etc.

It's helps diagnosis if this info is offered.
It is a 2016 Mazda CX-5 with only 25K miles and original battery. Yes, it did start absolutely fine after charging it and removing it for 1 hour. If the battery has enough charge now to start the car OK, could that still affect the dashboard lights, the funky way I have to stop the engine, the speedometer, and also I noticed that the power steering is a bit weaker.

Last edited:
2016 with the original battery - must be a record.

99% sure your problems are the battery.
Go buy one, make sure you can return if it doesn't fix the problem.

And yes, bad battery can cause all kinds of dash problems.

It just seems strange that the battery cold turn over the car engine just fine after charging, but the speedometer and power steering which are mechanical would have issues along with the obvious electrical stuff. The dash lights and maybe issues stopping the car correctly with the button I could understand. But why power steering and speedometer? And how does the battery have enough to start the engine OK but pose issues to the other stuff? I sure miss older cars that I completely understood and could work on 80% of the stuff myself :)

My guess is that, it still holds enough charges to supply current to drive the starter.
However, the voltage is just low enough to cause all sorts of issues mentioned.
Modern cars have all sorts of devices that are sensitive to voltage.
When a battery gets old... the voltage drops.
It should read 12.5 to 12.6v w/o engine started.
(2.1v per cell * 6 = 12.6v)

It just seems strange that the battery cold turn over the car engine just fine after charging, but the speedometer and power steering which are mechanical would have issues along with the obvious electrical stuff. The dash lights and maybe issues stopping the car correctly with the button I could understand. But why power steering and speedometer? And how does the battery have enough to start the engine OK but pose issues to the other stuff? I sure miss older cars that I completely understood and could work on 80% of the stuff myself :)
Your 2016 CX-5 does not have mechanical power steering and speedometer. They are electrical and electronic. If your 9-year-old battery (Mazda started selling 2016 CX-5 in Jan. 2015 for US market) is weak like it supposed to be with age, it could cause all kind of electrical related problems even though you still can start the engine up. Yes, the modern vehicle is not like cars in old days. Go to Walmart to get and install an EverStart Maxx Group 35 battery with 3-year replacement warranty for the best C/P value.

Last edited:
The longest battery life I’ve seen is a good friend of mine in Connecticut whose OEM battery in his 2003 Lexus LX 470 lasted 13 years and 100,000 miles at the time he sold the LX!

I'm still on the OEM battery in my 2016.5 and it's still doing its thing, no issues.

I've used a battery tender, religiously, for its entire life though...

As others have said, a new battery is in order. A battery tender would be a good thing to have as well.

Do you have a multimeter?

Walmart has by far the best prices on batteries. Get a group 35 Everstart Maxx from them. And when you know that you're not driving the car for an extended period, say for 2 months, either put a tender on it, or simply unhook the negative cable.

Walmart has by far the best prices on batteries. Get a group 35 Everstart Maxx from them.
Yes, go to WalMart and get EverStart Maxx Group 35 battery with 3-year replacement warranty for the best C/P value. They even do installation for you on site without the hassle of bring the old battery back for core charge like Costco.

Used to recommend getting the Intestate Group 35 battery at Costco for the best value. But Costco has increased the price from $78.99 with 36-month replacement / 60-month prorated warranty before pandemic, to $119.99 with only 36-month prorated warranty.

Alright, I got my Mazda CX-5 in Nov. 2016 (it is a 2016.5). If I replace my battery, do I have to worry about resetting codes and that sort of thing like on a lot of modern cars that apparently you have to deal with this sort of thing when just changing a battery?

My guess is that, it still holds enough charges to supply current to drive the starter.
However, the voltage is just low enough to cause all sorts of issues mentioned.
Modern cars have all sorts of devices that are sensitive to voltage.
When a battery gets old... the voltage drops.
It should read 12.5 to 12.6v w/o engine started.
(2.1v per cell * 6 = 12.6v)

Your 2016 CX-5 does not have mechanical power steering and speedometer. They are electrical and electronic. If your 9-year-old battery (Mazda started selling 2016 CX-5 in Jan. 2015 for US market) is weak like it supposed to be with age, it could cause all kind of electrical related problems even though you still can start the engine up. Yes, the modern vehicle is not like cars in old days. Go to Walmart to get and install an EverStart Maxx Group 35 battery with 3-year replacement warranty for the best C/P value.

Alright, I got my Mazda CX-5 in Nov. 2016 (it is a 2016.5). If I replace my battery, do I have to worry about resetting codes and that sort of thing like on a lot of modern cars that apparently you have to deal with this sort of thing when just changing a battery?
If you go to WalMart, they’ll do it for you.

And when I replaced my original battery on my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD a few years ago, I did not use any memory saver. The only thing lost is the trip odometers, and needed a reset on driver one-touch up-down power window.

If you go to WalMart, they’ll do it for you.
And when I replaced my original battery on my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD a few years ago, I did not use any memory saver. The only thing lost is the trip odometers, and needed a reset on driver one-touch up-down power window.
Update: I just ordered a battery from Walmart - they did indeed have the best price and free shipping as well as being highly regarded batteries. There was however a $12 "Regulatory & Taxes" fee in addition to regular taxes which I am assuming is a core charge. Not sure I can get that back or if I bring in the old battery at some point I can get the $12 back? Whatever...

I don't recall ever having to charge a new battery before installation... can you confirm if this is best practice or unnecessary?

Also, once the new battery is installed, I can try going around the block to see if things reset fixing the stop button issue, the dashboard lights, the E-Brake function, and that I get my speedometer and full power steering back. Should a drive around the block be enough or might it take a while of driving to reset things?

Thanks!

Yes, you bring in your old battery and you get the core charge back.

It should be already charged, but perhaps not 100%. Your alternator will take it the rest of the way, but it doesn't hurt to put it on a slow charger if it will sit at home for a bit. I have an 800mAh Battery Tender so I don't worry about it overcharging.

I think you'll immediately know if it helped. I think most of us are amazed that it even lasted this long!

The alternator generates 13.5v or so when it is running to charge your 12v battery (12.6v).
The accessories on a vehicle draw current from the battery, which acts as a voltage stablizer/smoother.

I don't see the need to charge a battery before installation unless it has been sitting for too long.
Once it is installed and you start to use it, it is constantly being charge when you run your engine.

Back