Car Issues After Low Battery From Sitting A While (2016 CX-5)

Update: I just ordered a battery from Walmart - they did indeed have the best price and free shipping as well as being highly regarded batteries. There was however a $12 "Regulatory & Taxes" fee in addition to regular taxes which I am assuming is a core charge. Not sure I can get that back or if I bring in the old battery at some point I can get the $12 back? Whatever...

I don't recall ever having to charge a new battery before installation... can you confirm if this is best practice or unnecessary?

Also, once the new battery is installed, I can try going around the block to see if things reset fixing the stop button issue, the dashboard lights, the E-Brake function, and that I get my speedometer and full power steering back. Should a drive around the block be enough or might it take a while of driving to reset things?

Thanks!
If you have a WalMart nearby, you can just drive the CX-5 there and they will take the old battery during the battery replacement. And no core charge involved if your car is there. Some states do charge additional "Regulatory Taxes” for batteries and tires but your $12 "Regulatory & Taxes" do seem like a core charge.

A new batteries should have been charged fully before they sell it to you. You shouldn’t need additional charging, but just drive around a bit to make sure everything has been back to normal. Don’t forget to reset the driver power window with instruction available in owner’s manual. And record 2 trip odometer values if you need them for some reason.

I had weird issues with my Costco interstate battery that was out of warranty on my 2016 cx-5 sport. Thought my key fob batteries were the issues, but even after changing the key fob batteries, the car would have a difficult time starting. Then after a little bit it would start.

Then one night it just wouldn't start. So had to call for a jump start, and the guy told me the battery was bad and was leaking. He was able to get it jumped and was able to get home. So, once I turned off the car, thought I would not be able to start it again.

But the next morning it started and drove to Walmart and got the Everstart group 35 640 CCA battery installed by them, and everything has been fine since then.

@yrwei52 Could I have had them install the Everstart group 35 525 CCA battery? I live in South Florida but I believe the higher 640 CCA number would apply to someone in a colder climate?

I had weird issues with my Costco interstate battery that was out of warranty on my 2016 cx-5 sport. Thought my key fob batteries were the issues, but even after changing the key fob batteries, the car would have a difficult time starting. Then after a little bit it would start.

Then one night it just wouldn't start. So had to call for a jump start, and the guy told me the battery was bad and was leaking. He was able to get it jumped and was able to get home. So, once I turned off the car, thought I would not be able to start it again.

But the next morning it started and drove to Walmart and got the Everstart group 35 640 CCA battery installed by them, and everything has been fine since then.

@yrwei52 Could I have had them install the Everstart group 35 525 CCA battery? I live in South Florida but I believe the higher 640 CCA number would apply to someone in a colder climate?
I believe you made a right choice to go to WalMart for a more expensive and better warranty EverStart Maxx 640 CCA battery. Higher CCA has more safety margin on unexpected current drain, and this’s better for you even if you’re in warmer climate.

Weak battery could cause all kind of weird issues. If you need jump-start the car from time to time that’s a good indicator the battery is weak especially when it’s over 4 years old in a hot climate like Folorida. How old was your Costco Interstate battery? It should still have 60-month pro-rated warranty but it may not worth the hassle and just let WalMart to replace the battery for you.

I believe you made a right choice to go to WalMart for a more expensive and better warranty EverStart Maxx 640 CCA battery. Higher CCA has more safety margin on unexpected current drain, and this’s better for you even if you’re in warmer climate.

Weak battery could cause all kind of weird issues. If you need jump-start the car from time to time that’s a good indicator the battery is weak especially when it’s over 4 years old in a hot climate like Folorida. How old was your Costco Interstate battery? It should still have 60-month pro-rated warranty but it may not worth the hassle and just let WalMart to replace the battery for you.
I believe the Costco Interstate battery that I had was a replacement warrantied one that they gave me after the original one failed during the 36 month warranty period. So, the original one lasted me almost three years. So, per Costco the replacement battery does not have a warranty. The replaced battery only lasted me like 2.5 years. So, either had to buy a new Costco Interstate battery or go to Walmart. Since Walmart installed for free, I just chose Walmart.

I believe the Costco Interstate battery that I had was a replacement warrantied one that they gave me after the original one failed during the 36 month warranty period. So, the original one lasted me almost three years. So, per Costco the replacement battery does not have a warranty. The replaced battery only lasted me like 2.5 years. So, either had to buy a new Costco Interstate battery or go to Walmart. Since Walmart installed for free, I just chose Walmart.
Got it. Heat affects battery life the most. Since you said you’re in hot South Florida, don’t expect you can have a long battery life due to the hot weather. The same in Texas where I live.

Got it. Heat affects battery life the most. Since you said you’re in hot South Florida, don’t expect you can have a long battery life due to the hot weather. The same in Texas where I live.
Maybe I get about a three-year life on batteries down here.

UPDATE #2:
Thanks everyone so far. I got a new battery, date on it is last month (3/24) and it tested 12.6v before I installed it. I did not charge it. The old battery after sitting just over a week measured 12.2V so even if the battery isn't the issue, it was time to change it.

I did a short test drive through my city onto the highway to the next exit and back home (just over 5 miles). The multiple dashboard lights are still lit, the power steering is still not as strong, the E-Brake doesn't engage, the stop button doesn't stop the engine unless I hold it in for about 5 or so seconds, then t\I have to do a similar thing to stop the accessories like the radio, the speedometer stay at zero when driving, and the front passenger blinker is out. I haven't yet tested to see if it's the bulb or...

UPDATE #2:
Thanks everyone so far. I got a new battery, date on it is last month (3/24) and it tested 12.6v before I installed it. I did not charge it. The old battery after sitting just over a week measured 12.2V so even if the battery isn't the issue, it was time to change it.

I did a short test drive through my city onto the highway to the next exit and back home (just over 5 miles). The multiple dashboard lights are still lit, the power steering is still not as strong, the E-Brake doesn't engage, the stop button doesn't stop the engine unless I hold it in for about 5 or so seconds, then t\I have to do a similar thing to stop the accessories like the radio, the speedometer stay at zero when driving, and the front passenger blinker is out. I haven't yet tested to see if it's the bulb or...
Looks like your problem is deeper than just a weak battery. It could be a bad grounding somewhere and there’re several ground locations on CX-5.

I assume you didn’t use any memory saver while you’re changing the battery? In any case you can try to disconnect the negative terminal, wait for 10 minutes, and re-connect without a memory saver to reset the system. In the mean time, check any loose connections on battery posts and ground connections. And check all fuses just to make sure.

Is CEL on or flashing? Do you have a OBDII scanner? Or you can take your CX-5 to any auto parts store such as AutoZone to read error code if there’s one.

Keep us posted.

Looks like your problem is deeper than just a weak battery. It could be a bad grounding somewhere and there’re several ground locations on CX-5.

I assume you didn’t use any memory saver while you’re changing the battery? In any case you can try to disconnect the negative terminal, wait for 10 minutes, and re-connect without a memory saver to reset the system. In the mean time, check any loose connections on battery posts and ground connections. And check all fuses just to make sure.

Is CEL on or flashing? Do you have a OBDII scanner? Or you can take your CX-5 to any auto parts store such as AutoZone to read error code if there’s one.

Keep us posted.
Thanks, I'm fearing a rodent could have chewed some wires because of the issues. The battery could be a coincidental red herring. I do not have a OBDII scanner. So I understand my vehicle, is there a central computer and then modules throughout the car, or are the modules each separate computers and there i. s no central computer on a 2016.5 CX-5?

Thanks, I'm fearing a rodent could have chewed some wires because of the issues. The battery could be a coincidental red herring. I do not have a OBDII scanner. So I understand my vehicle, is there a central computer and then modules throughout the car, or are the modules each separate computers and there i. s no central computer on a 2016.5 CX-5?
All cars have a central computer, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module), to control engine and communicate sub-modules. The sub-modules control individual components such as TCM (Transmission Control Module)、 FBCM (Front Body Control Module)、RBCM (Rear Body Control Module、EPB Control Module, etc. You can search the forum and find the electrical diagram for CX-5 and trace the wires and connectors starting from battery posts making sure there’s no bad connections. This’s going to be a time consuming task and it won’t be easy.

Last edited:
I am curious why you bring up possible rodent damage? Do you have any signs of this anywhere on the vehicle or where you park?

I am curious why you bring up possible rodent damage? Do you have any signs of this anywhere on the vehicle or where you park?
Searches related to various problems like I am experiencing turned up several instances of people having chewed wires/internals. That along with the front passenger blinker... unless the bulb by extrema coincidence just happened to burn out at the same time all these other items happened, then chewed wiring would be a likely explanation. Just tossing it out there until I check the bulb. If bulb is OK, then rodent problem is looking more likely. Still only one single theory, but probably time to just have it diagnosed by a Mazda professional.

Back