2023 CX-5 - High Beam Switching Issue

GTXT23

LightFoot
Have a 23 CX5 under 10k miles -under 1 yr old - recently when attempting to use the High Beam switching feature - The high beams didnt come on.
It was dusk and I suspected it was not dark enough- I had operated it many times prior without issue - So I waited until it was pitch black and still no go- I had the green dash indicator saying it was operative / engaged but the HBs wouldnt light up -- unless i went manual on the stalk - I stopped and recycled everything and then shut the engine down, for a full reboot of everything - Still not working - I suspected that something had impaired the lens on the top the of the windshield where the sensor is located - checked , cleaned --ok . It was below 32 degrees outside -- so , I know electronics act up in cold or hot extremes - Later that night on another trip it started working - Mystery not solved -- I honestly dont like many of the electronic features / which I wont list -- but High Beam switching for oncoming vehicles is actually one I like and believe its a big safety feature that keeps the driver involved in the driving process as opposed to making you passive --- I hope it keeps working --anyone else have any experience with this ? Thnx- Trip s to the dealer for minor warranty stuff is a P.I.T.A. - so not going ..there

Last edited:
Just the automatic high beam control doing its thing - there are a set of circumstances when auto highs are disabled, such as speed, oncoming traffic or lights, etc. As you note you can override it and push the stalk forward to engage high beams under those circumstances.

yup my 2023 turbo does the same. if headlights are on auto mode I can't control the high beams the way I am used to doing. I have auto mode in my ram and it works like it should (or at least the way I like them to work) ie pull the stalk back and the high beams stay on until you release the stalk, wish my cx5 worked the same way.

I found the same issue when I own my first CX five. I went into the navigation/entertainment system and disabled the auto highbeam. Also on my new CX five I disabled it as well.

I had the green dash indicator saying it was operative / engaged but the HBs wouldnt light up -- unless i went manual on the stalk
In auto-dimming mode the stalk still controls turning high-beams off, push the stalk forward to enable auto-dimming, back to disable so that high-beams remain off.

I think the auto-dimming on your car was working correctly, if I read your description correctly.

Latest posts

Back