2011 CX-7 Randomly beeps…Any ideas?

My Mazda CX-7 2011 randomly beeps, regardless if parked or running. No dash lights turn on. All dash lights seem to be OK, as all of them turn on when starting the vehicle. So far, no idea of what could be the cause.

I recently started having the warning beep anytime I had shut off the ignition, removed the key and opened the drivers door. The remote locking function did not work, which was very inconvenient.

Sometimes I could exit the door with it not beeping. I spent some hours trying to emulate when it did not beep, but to no avail.

I took the car into the local Mazda Dealer (Fairview Motors in Hamilton, NZ) and asked that they run a scan on the vehicle. I booked it in accepting the scan would cost $200.

When I went to pickup the vehicle I got an invoice for $104 and an estimate for replacing the ignition block of $1214.

No scan was done, so I did not get charged for that.

A couple of days later I discussed what had happened and found the reason the ignition block change was because the key was not lining up properly in the lockset on extraction. I attributed this to wear on the key face.

To test my theory I maintained pressure on the lockset when removing the key by pulling upward on the handle end of the key, which ensured the key engaged with the lockset on withdrawal.

I then tried the spare key which had been cut months before but never used and it worked fine.

Takeaways:

1. Keep an unused key available. Don't rely on your wife's copy.
2. Expect the Dealer is going to give you the best advice (read profitable) and not the simplest answer.

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers
Bernard

Back