2008 Mazda5 Head Unit Died --> Android?

These are the settings for the 2014 Mazda 5 that work for me on Otojeta radio from 2020.

For the 2008 Mazda 5 I used to have, the box came pre-configured with the stereo, I didn't even have to dive into the factory settings to select this.
Thanks for showing your box: MZD-RZ-05; SW: V0106.
I wonder how different is it from MZ-SS-06; SW: V1.01..? Note this box has two different dates 20200714 vs 20190710 in the Russian video.

1691071243891.png

If you scroll down, do you see more options? Did you try to set it to "3" (Mazda 3) to see what/if any different option/experience exist?

I am fairly certain all Canbus signals are decoded in the latest box (I'm guessing which box and version will determine how much/up-to-date it is). What I'm hoping to see is software option to interpret and ability to control the display via the Android unit or OEM display panel (clock and radio area). Think Android units that are design as OEM replacements for current cars (ex. latest gen BMW) that includes controlling HVAC, etc.

For example, Mazda has steering angle in canbus (+'06 Mz3, not sure how far back it covers). It is simply a matter of the Android developer to translate the steering angle to steering lines and superimpose it on the screen when the backup signal is triggered to show projected steering lines when backing up.

Last edited:
Check the reviews (and pics) for Canbus RP5-MZ-002 (V2.20.007CYN, Date: 20221229). Technically for 2004-2009 MAZDA 3/ AXELA and 2014 MAZDA/CX-7 but I'm willing to bet it should work exactly the same for Mazda5/Premacy (you might need to change the Android's car Model and CAN Type to experiment. It's also possible your specific Android's firmware does not support Canbus functionality very well.

Check the reviews (and pics) for Canbus RP5-MZ-002 (V2.20.007CYN, Date: 20221229). Technically for 2004-2009 MAZDA 3/ AXELA and 2014 MAZDA/CX-7 but I'm willing to bet it should work exactly the same for Mazda5/Premacy (you might need to change the Android's car Model and CAN Type to experiment. It's also possible your specific Android's firmware does not support Canbus functionality very well.
I scrolled through my purchase history. When I purchased teyes, I bought this cable that worked out of the box (other than I rewired the key1 wire, which wasn't necessary). I also purchased this harness for connecting the second (front) camera and second sim card.

Does the Canbus unit have an IP address you can logon/configure? Some of the links you ref above appear to be Russian, hope you can understand this and help translate it. It does look like he has another module (exposed board) plugged in but can't understand what he's saying :(
Still can't fully understand but found what he is using from another video. It's a custom Canbus decoder created be a fellow Russian, not avail here. You connect to the PJCAN via wifi connection to configure it on any browser on any device. This is nicer to have than a standalone Android unit, and definitely complements it for a full seamless setup, IMO. I wonder if RP5-MZ-002 offers something similar functionality b/c the reviews/pics seem to show it has some ability to access it to config and change clock display (might depend on the Android unit's firmware capability).

What tasks does PJCAN solve :
- The most important task is the operation of the on-board computer! Now you can switch the information display (LCD) to the consumption mode (INFO), switch readings and set the clock, as it was with the standard GU;
- Steering wheel buttons now work without dancing with a tambourine! They can be programmed! Supports double, triple press and hold of the button;
- Information display (LCD) is no longer a dull city, but with the inscription "Navi System". With the PJCAN 4.0 adapter, you can display any information on it. Would you like to display your nickname or logo, please! Do you want it to greet you when you start the car, please! Do you want to see information about the state of the internal combustion engine, or consumption, or the status of open doors, or ..., or much more, please!
- For owners of the Bose amplifier, all the functionality of this device is now available. The music played like with a regular GU and maybe even better;
- No need to be the master of GU and cars, just replace the Chinese friend (adapter) with PJCAN 4.0. You don’t even have to throw out the box, PJCAN fits perfectly in it!

PJCAN

Note how the HVAC controls menu pop up when a HVAC button is pushed, you should be able to change settings on screen. It disappears b/c the firmware is not built to have the HVAC controls on full time as it takes up space (need tesla style screen for more space).

Last edited:
In the first video, he was configuring what seems to be an ordinary CANBUS box, which is available from Chinese sellers.

I've checked with the PJCAN developer, and he says, the device was developed in-house, and he's actively working on adding new features to the firmware. According to him, some features are currently not available for gen2, and he's going to try to add some in the following months. I assume this box would work with gen1.

Ordering from Russia is going to be a problem, as due to the sanctions there might be some difficulties accepting payment from and shipping overseas. The box itself currently retails for ~$50 in Russia.

I hope he'll join this forum sometime later.

Last edited:
Hello, sorry for the wait, here's the information you might need:
"Canbus box" is hooked in between the android unit and the car interface. This is a modular design by Chinese, since there are a lot of different implementations of canbus functionality in the cars.
1. I'll go check settings and post here.

2. But generally speaking, you don't have much choice with the Chinese canbus controllers. Canbus box interacts with the head unit, receiving information such as "what mode is it: radio or navigation software now?" and displays this information on the led screen of the car.
The same with the keys, it acts as a weird interpreter between the keys and the android functionality.
I don't think you can control AC via the canbus in these cars, and even if you can, I don't need "ok google, turn on the AC" functionality.

3. And with teyes, it comes already preconfigured to match the car / android device communication protocols. It was almost plug and play in my case, I just didn't want to control the buttons via canbus, but chose to control these directly, hence, rewired key1 to android stereo instead of to the canbus box.

4. The canbus box doesn't have a networking interface, it talks to the android stereo over rs-something, I guess. The holes on the box are the guides to 5 pins, which is jtag or rs or similar connector, I believe.

5. The links can be translated with google translate, I checked, the translation makes sense. Just right click anywhere on the page and select "translate to English".
The guy in the video is talking about how to wire and configure a canbus box to make the buttons in his car work through the canbus rather than key1 wire.

6. I think there are two "key" wires in mazda5 with BT functionality, I believe. One goes to the OEM stereo to control "up", "down", "vol+", "vol-" and another is for "pick up the phone", "hang up" and "voice button". In such situations, controlling the buttons via canbus is easier to wire.

Bottom line: if you go for teyes, you won't have to mess with canbus wiring and configuration (like what those videos are about), it's already working out of the box. You'll only have to either find or build a proper harness.
Hallo,
I would like to ask you whether you have (or could mi give an advise where to find) 20 pins scheme for mzd-rz-05 (something like in attached picture. I am looking for it for ages..

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• pin scheme.jpg
    pin scheme.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 51
Hallo,
I would like to ask you whether you have (or could mi give an advise where to find) 20 pins scheme for mzd-rz-05 (something like in attached picture. I am looking for it for ages..

Thanks a lot.
Hello, try using Google translate here:
I believe this is the schematics you're looking for.
They are also suggesting swapping two wires to avoid draining the battery (acc vs bat?)

Hello, try using Google translate here:
I believe this is the schematics you're looking for.
They are also suggesting swapping two wires to avoid draining the battery (acc vs bat?)
Thanks a lot, you are great (y)

Back