How To: Auto Tranny Flush

Mad Hatter

:
02 Axiom, 02 MP5
This is a very simple way to flush your automatic transmission, and save yourself a ton of money!! You will need a friend to help out.

Items needed-
Large pan for draining
5-7 1/2 gallon milk jugs
8-10 inch piece of 1/2"(?)I.D. hose
Transmission funnel
ATF Dexron III fluid 8-12qts.
Extra set of hands:)
Wrench(17mm I think)

First, jack up the front end and install jack stands(don't forget to pull the E-brake). Make sure the oil is warm, and remove the plug from the rear of the transmission pan, careful not to spill(comes out very quick), you'll want to measure the amount that comes out. Drain in to a large pan of some sort. When the flow has stopped, reinstall the plug(22-30ft-lbs). Now measure the amount of oil drained(I recommend using some half gallon milk jugs), install your transmission funnel, and add that much back in to the transmission through the dipstick tube.

Now remove the line as shown in the pic, and let that drain in to a container(there shouldn't really be enough to measure). Now install the piece of short hose over the nipple coming out of the cooler, and run the open end in to a 1/2 gallon jug. Have a friend start the car, this will push the fluid through the cooler and out the hose in to the jug. When the jug is half full(or just before), turn the car off. You still get a little running out, but for the mostpart, flow should stop once the engine has. Now you can add 1 qt through the dipstick tube. Then again, start the engine, and measure out another qt, turn the engine off, and add 1 qt. Repeat this cycle, until you have good clean fluid showing up in the jugs.

Our transmission holds 7.8qts. I had good clean fluid by the time I had added 8qts. You should be able to tell fairly easily.

Once you feel that you have good clean fluid(you can flush an extra couple of qts if you want, just to be sure), reinstall the cooler line, let the car back down and run the engine for a while. Now follow the recommended procedure for checking the fluid level for your operating range, and add or remove as necessary(I had to remove about a pint, and just drained it through the cooler again).

That's all there is to it. The dealers don't even remove the pan, and change the filter. There isn't even a gasket for the pan, just some silicone. And the money you saved by doing it yourself can be put towards the purchase of the new synthetic(if you choose)oil. I went with AMSOIL $5.99qt(yes $5.99, case price (thumb) )

Attachments

• atf.JPG
    atf.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 3,841
hooray! Nice post
I hope my 8qts of redline is enough i really dont want ot buy more

I did a fully tranny flush with vaccum and pressure we took out almost 8 and we put 7.5 back in and it had way to much in it we drained it back almost to 6 before that damn sound stopped. I used B&M trickshift which was a cool blue color and i found it work great and it cured some tranny problems i was having.

We had the machine so it was alot easier... hehe

hah yea i was just putting a beware out to you guys if you hear a werid sounds like a wirrrhing it means theres to much fluid. Also when you check the fluid it needs to be warm if i remeber correctly.

What's the cheapest place to get Red Line, so far, I've only found it for $7.50.

I'm gonna go ask around and see how much 40qt is at a few local places.. If I'm gonna buy it.. may as well buy enough to last all summer :)

edit: i'm looking at D4, exclusively

Last edited:
s***.. I just changed my fluid.. just took off the drain bolt.. let it drain.. dropped the pan.. changd filter.. put it all back together ..

I was wondering why only 3 qts fit when the manuals said 6.5

Nutari said:
s***.. I just changed my fluid.. just took off the drain bolt.. let it drain.. dropped the pan.. changd filter.. put it all back together ..

I was wondering why only 3 qts fit when the manuals said 6.5

You didn't empty the torqe converter, which holds the remaining fluid. And 6.5??

tonkabui said:
aren't you supposed to use mercon V fluid?

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 111pt; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt; mso-padding-alt: 1.5pt 1.5pt 1.5pt 1.5pt" cellPadding=0 width=148 border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 1.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; PADDING-LEFT: 1.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 1.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" noWrap width=144>Synthetic D4 ATF<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 1.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; PADDING-LEFT: 1.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-TOP: 1.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 105pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=140 border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: red; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; HEIGHT: 0.75pt"><o:p> </o:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 1.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; PADDING-LEFT: 1.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-TOP: 1.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">
Our most popular and versatile ATF, D4 is suitable for use where Dexron III, Dexron II, or Mercon fluids are recommended.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

usually it will say on the bottle, but most dexron II and III are suitable for mercon..

I KNOW THIS IS A STUPID QUESTION BUT WHAT EXACTLY does your car do after you flush the fluid? or why do you even flush the fluid?

ZiO said:
<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 111pt; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt; mso-padding-alt: 1.5pt 1.5pt 1.5pt 1.5pt" cellPadding=0 width=148 border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 1.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; PADDING-LEFT: 1.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 1.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" noWrap width=144>Synthetic D4 ATFffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 1.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; PADDING-LEFT: 1.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-TOP: 1.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 105pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=140 border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: red; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; HEIGHT: 0.75pt"><O:p> </O:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><O:p></O:p>

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 1.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; PADDING-LEFT: 1.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-TOP: 1.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">

Our most popular and versatile ATF, D4 is suitable for use where Dexron III, Dexron II, or Mercon fluids are recommended.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

usually it will say on the bottle, but most dexron II and III are suitable for mercon..

Back