How To: UDP Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Hatter

:
02 Axiom, 02 MP5
This is a very easy to do mod. Probably the easiest next to a cai.

First thing, pull the e-brake, and jack up the car. I recommend using jack stands, then remove the passenger wheel.

Next, using a 10mm socket remove the inner wheel liner(see pic1), to expose the crank pulley(pic2).

Next, using a 14mm socket loosen the 2 bolts on the P/S, oil pump pulley(just loosen, see pic3). Next turn bolt(12mm, as shown in pic4) to loosen the drive belt, when the tension is released enough, remove the belt(only loosen enough to remove).(Note you may want to use a 1/2"ratchet, with a 1/2to3/8 reducer, and then the 14mm socket to loosen the bolt as shown in the pic where the ratchet is)

Next, using the 14mm socket, loosen the bolt on the underside (again just loosen) of the alternator(see pic5), then loosen the other bolt(12mm) on the outerside of the alt(bolt a pic6), after the 2 of these are loose, turn bolt b(pic6) to loosen the drive belt, and remove(only loosen enough to remove).

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 3,212
  • pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 3,097
  • pic3.JPG
    pic3.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 8,778
  • pic4.JPG
    pic4.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 8,090
  • pic5.JPG
    pic5.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 2,806
Last edited:
Next using an impact and a 21mm socket, as well as an extension, remove the bolt in the center of the crank pulley(these are pretty tight so stay on it for a minute, pic2). Remove pulley(we just rocked it back and forth, and sprayed a little WD-40 on it. see pic7).

Now your ready to install the new pulley(pic8). Reinstall the center bolt and torque to 120ftlbs(pic9). Now with an A/T, there was no way to keep the motor from turning while torquing, so we just hit it good with the impact.

Now you can install your new belts(pic10), and reverse the process to finish up. Drive belts should have just under 1/2" deflection with 22lbs of force.

Sorry for not having the pics directly in the post. Good luck!

Attachments

• pic6.JPG
    pic6.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,903
  • pic7.JPG
    pic7.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,800
  • pic8.JPG
    pic8.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 1,783
  • pic9.JPG
    pic9.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,783
  • pic10.JPG
    pic10.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 17,088
Good write up! I didn't have an impact, so I had a friend help me out. He sat in the drivers seat with the trans in 5th gear and mashed the brakes. I was on the bolt with my 1/2" drive socket wrench and about a 3ft extension :) It was a Craftsman, so I wasn't worried about breaking it (and I didn't).

WoooHooo! Finally a guide for the UDP!

Since everyone and their uncle are buying up the RR-Racing ones lately this will definately help alot!

Put some never sieze on the UDP bolt so that it will be easier to get off when you have to again (if that comes up).

BTW, I'll post some Dayco belt numbers when I can.

90210brandon said:
(smash) Dumb question but, what is UDP?

Under Drive Pulley

its a pulley that drives ur accesories, like ac, alternator, and steering pump....by going with a lighter oulley, u increase engine response, but hp gains will be minimal

u think itll be easier or harder to intsall the perrin pulleys since its not under drive its just lighter

mazdaspdprotege said:
u think itll be easier or harder to intsall the perrin pulleys since its not under drive its just lighter

I don't see why it would be any different. You still need to follow the same steps.

the only difference between aftermarket pulleys is th ebelts they will use

JCell said:
the only difference between aftermarket pulleys is th ebelts they will use

that and the weight, heh. You should of seen my friends underdrive pulley on a Suzuki. That s*** is twice smaller than stock one!

another dumb question..........

Is the install the same for an auto tranny, or is it different somehow?

same process, but getting the pulley on and off requires an impact wrench as you cannot stop the engine from turning over by putting it into gear etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back