Street Prepared build

xelderx

Zoom Zoom Boom X 3
I finally decided to take the Protege5 to Street Prepared for this year. Mainly because I like spending lots of money that I don't have. Here's the short list of things I'll be doing as the money comes in. This is getting close to the maximum allowed in the rules short of running a fuel cell.

AWR Koni Coilovers Custom Setup--------------done
Ground Control Coilovers (custom rates)--------done
MSP LSD--------------------------------------done
Racing Mazda 4-2-1 header (heat wrapped)-----done
Fidanza 9lbs flywheel--------------------------done
ACT clutch------------------------------------done
Underdrive pulley------------------------------done
15X10 Spinwerks-------------------------------in progress
Hoosier 275/35-15 A6--------------------------in progress
Remove radio----------------------------------done
Remove AC------------------------------------done
Relocate battery to trunk----------------------done
Lighter battery--------------------------------done
Side exit exhaust------------------------------done
Momo Start seats-----------------------------done
GTSpec chassis bracing------------------------in progress
AWR side motor mount inserts------------------done
Port/Polish Intake Manifold------------------------done
Momo steering wheel-----------------------------done
New front brake pads-----------------------------done
AWR rear camber plates--------------------------done
Accusump/Remote oil filter setup------------------done

Beginning weight---2716 lbs

Current weight---2550 lbs !!!

125.77 WHP

I'll be updating this weekend with pics of the progress so far.

Any vendors want to help me out and I'll run some advertising for you.

Last edited:
FC3s Boy said:
can you run bigger brakes in that class?
Nope..but I might plumb in a bais valve since I'm a demon on the brakes and I get the back end sliding pretty quick with stock pads.

Battery Relocation

I've almost finished the battery relocation to the back. The wire doesn't go exactly where I want it to in the engine bay, but the pipe it's going over is for the AC and will be coming out so no big deal.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 2,896
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    512.2 KB · Views: 2,968
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    506.4 KB · Views: 2,819
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 2,912
thewrench said:
You going to run a harness bar or roll bar?
Depends. Eventually I would like to have a nice sturdy rollbar in the car. I can probably have a nice 4 point rollbar made for what a Sparco harness bar would cost. (hint hint...the WRX harness bar should fit the Protege with little or no modification). If I come across a used WRX harness bar for the right price I'll probably get it until I can have the cage built. That stuff is not tops on the importance factor right now. I just need to get the suspension sorted and do all the really cheap stuff before the season starts in March.

Just wondering, I keep eyeing the Autopower bar. They say it fits sedans, but I can't see how it wouldn't fit a wagon, too. Eventually I'll get one to try it. IO Port has universal Harness bars now, but I think they're straight across the back, so definitely wouldn't work for me. :)

justin-

what's the wheel width limit in FSP? you could think about going to a really wide 14" (8"? 9"?) and 225/50/14s...they should still fit over the brakes.

there's a VERY quick scirocco here that runs 13"(?) wheels/hoosiers that stick out well past the fenders. no rub b/c the car doesn't lean!

good luck...keep us posted. sorry to hear about the struts...wish i could afford a set of the AWRs.

wondering if your gonna upgrade the master cylinder to the 929 master cylinder? and also any luck on a baffled oil pan either from moroso or mam or anyone else?

dmitrik4 said:
justin-

what's the wheel width limit in FSP? you could think about going to a really wide 14" (8"? 9"?) and 225/50/14s...they should still fit over the brakes.

there's a VERY quick scirocco here that runs 13"(?) wheels/hoosiers that stick out well past the fenders. no rub b/c the car doesn't lean!

good luck...keep us posted. sorry to hear about the struts...wish i could afford a set of the AWRs.
Wheels are unlimited. If 14's will fit I may try and find a 14X8. Eeek thats so small looking though. Looks like I'll be running my old 225 Victoracers on the 626 rims for the start of the season anyway so I have plenty of time to figure that out.

vindication said:
wondering if your gonna upgrade the master cylinder to the 929 master cylinder? and also any luck on a baffled oil pan either from moroso or mam or anyone else?
I've considered the 929 master cylinder and I may give it a try. I hate doing brakes so I keep telling myself that it can wait.

xelderx said:
Wheels are unlimited. If 14's will fit I may try and find a 14X8. Eeek thats so small looking though. Looks like I'll be running my old 225 Victoracers on the 626 rims for the start of the season anyway so I have plenty of time to figure that out.
won't disagree with you there, but looks don't get you across the line faster! ;)

i know the V710 is coming out in new sizes...225 in 14 and 15, i believe. i've heard that 14s will fit, but you might want to check around. it seems like there is space, however.

i'll be interested to see how much weight you can drop...200+ lbs shouldn't be that difficult, i think.

dmitrik4 said:
won't disagree with you there, but looks don't get you across the line faster! ;)

i know the V710 is coming out in new sizes...225 in 14 and 15, i believe. i've heard that 14s will fit, but you might want to check around. it seems like there is space, however.

i'll be interested to see how much weight you can drop...200+ lbs shouldn't be that difficult, i think.
I think I'm going to stick with the 15's. I was thinking about it at work today and the 225-15's are the Spec Miata tire so race take-offs are easy to find. It's also not cheap ar easy to find 14 inch wheels with the Mazda bolt pattern for the price of the Kosei 15's. With the amount of money I'm dumping into the suspension I'm not going to get crazy with the wheels. One crazy thing at a time.

what offset are you getting your Koseis in? i'm looking at those for the spring- they seem like a killer deal. about the weight of the SSRs for about 1/2 the price.

dmitrik4 said:
what offset are you getting your Koseis in? i'm looking at those for the spring- they seem like a killer deal. about the weight of the SSRs for about 1/2 the price.
I'm doing some measuring this weekend to decide on the offset. You wouldn't happen to know what the 626 rim offset is do you? I'm going to see how much clearence I've got now and then add the added tire width and see what it looks like. I've got plenty of room to move toward the fender so I just need to make sure that the tire clears the strut and the inner fender/frame at full lock.

i don't have the 626 wheels, so i can't help you there. i can tell you my MX-6 wheels (15x6.5) are a +45.

ok- the tire rack has:

15x7" on a 2002 DX:

-15x7 Kosei TS at +38 offset.
-15x7 SSR at +42.

i assume either would also fit your car.

17x7" on a P5:

-an ASA at +48mm
-the Kosei TS at +42

17x7.5" on a P5:

-the SSR in 18x7.5 at +42
-a BBS in 17x7.5 at +45

so potentially, a 15x7.5 would fit at those offsets as well.

dunno what effect the 225s will have on it...the widest tire that they "recommended" was a 215. i assume if a 215 fits on an 18x7.5, you should be able to fit a 225 on a 15x7.

Last edited:
MSP Pro said:
For 15 inch wheels, check out the prices at www.good-win-racing.com. They look cheaper than Tire Rack.
Awesome...thanks for the link. Those Team Dynamic wheels are so nice...just a few pounds too heavy. I'm pretty set on the Kosei's...just have to wait till this suspension spending spree is over.

xelderx said:
(crazy)aghh...too many numbers
hahaha...looking at that in the light of day: uh, yeah. whoa.

so my MX-6 wheels are 6.5" and +45. you should be ok w/ anything between 38 and 50, i'd think.

Latest posts

Back