HELP! Head studs...

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
I need the torque spec for ARP 11mm head studs ASAP...thanks!

I think that the actual studs only need to be torqued to maybe 5ft/lbs. If you over

thighten you risk stripping out the threads in the block.

i still nrrd to know how much to tighten the nut on the stud...ASAP!

I tourqed mine to 68 ft/lbs. Hope that helps.

Dave

Oh yeah, and be sure to have oil on the threads when you tourqe them down.

Dave

that chart isn't totally clear...what do the 170,190, and 220 colums mean? Metal strength? Which do I use?

This is for headbolts, not sure if studs are the same.

• Tightening torque
  • 17.522.5 Nm {1.792.29 kgfm, 13.016.5 ftlbf}
  1. Put a paint mark on each bolt head. Using the marks as a reference, tighten the bolts by turning each 8595 in the sequence shown.
  2. Further tighten each bolt by turning another 8595 in the sequence shown

the head studs are different to torque than the head bolts.

That pdf chart is giving me a headache. I'm unclear as to whether Its displayed in ft/lbs or what, especially considering that some of the "torque specs" in that chart are as high as 303. No way is that ft/lbs.

And wtf is the preload all about?

quoted from the top of the page

Listed are the recommended torque values for most ARP fasteners. Recommended torque is equal to 75% of the fastener's yield strength. THE TORQUE VALUES REPRESENTED HERE ARE INTENDED TO BE FOR GENERAL INFORMATION, NOT FOR SPECIFIC INSTALLATIONS! In special instances, where supplied instructions deviate from the torque values recommended here, always follw the intructions.
so inother wors, install them to the torque that is recomended by Mazda.

the stock bolts are torque to yield for a reason. set these as if you were instazlling a new set of OEM head bolts.

Last edited:
RyanJayG said:
quoted from the top of the page

so inother wors, install them to the torque that is recomended by Mazda.

the stock bolts are torque to yield for a reason. set these as if you were instazlling a new set of OEM head bolts.
Right. But if that's the case, then for a 5/8" stud, it can take as much as 303 ft/lbs to properly torque. That's total BS...that's what scares me here.

Kooldino said:
Right. But if that's the case, then for a 5/8" stud, it can take as much as 303 ft/lbs to properly torque. That's total BS...that's what scares me here.
well, what you have to realise is that those ratings are just 75% of yield

also, that is WITH an anti sieze thread lubricant, which GREATLY increases the amount of torque you can apply. we do this all the time where I work, and we install bolts to rediculously high torque. such as some 1.5in fine thread bolts we torque to over 4000lb-ft

But I'm told you have to install head studs and head bolts to different torque levels...

I dunno... ask Beau... fi there is a difference I wold think its because most people will install with anti-sieze. which would change the clamping force of the studs, vs the torque applied to them

Back