??? on How to remove Vinyl graphics

BLU_MP5

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
How hard is it to remove? I saw some really nice vinyl graphics on Ebay for only $35 and concidering getting some but want to see how hard it is to remove them at a later date.

they peel off fairly easy even easier with a heat gun, then clean the surface with citrus cleaner or rubbing alcohol, and your all done. the alcohol gets rid of the sticky residue that the graphics leave behind, before you purchase, i would find out if it is regular vinyl or is it high performance vinyl. regular vinyl tends to fade in about 6 months and the high performance vinyl will hold its color for about 2 years. my brother owns a graphics shop so i can tell you from experience that the high performance vinyl is a better quality but regular vinyl will serve the same purpose just won't last as long. but to answer your question, you can remove any vinyl graphics from a vehicle in under 30 minutes. make sure to wash and wax before you put the graphics on and wash and wax when you remove them.

You need to heat them up w/ a heat gun and they just peel off. Or a blow dryer on HIGH.

white will turn yellow in the sun after about 6 months, not to mention that white will hold stains as well, if you use a colored wax, white graphics may hold that color depending on how long you let the wax stand. you might just want to go to a graphics place and spend around $100.00 for the design you want and with high performance vinyl. most graphics places charge about the same...$50.00- $75.00 per side, unless you go multi color were as your graphics are at least 3 color designs, then your talking $100.00- $200.00 per side, that also depends on size of graphics and how much detail is involved. but imo if your gonna do it, do it right. that way your pleased with the outcome, cause you might purchase this design and what if its to small or doesn't look good? then your still stuck with it...does ebay give you the measurements of the graphic design? if so measure the side of the car and see if it will fit nicely or be to small or to big. a couple of good sites are carfx.com, look up car custom graphics and you will find 100's of ideas. just some freindly advice,

Thnx torque222, your right, If I'm going to do it, I need to do it right, don't want something to make the car look like s***. Yes they do give measurement on the graghic they R selling on ebay. but for twice as much, you get better vynal, I will see, mayb I can hit up a local shop and see what the prices R.

some vinyl is harder to remove, i work at auto trim design and i remove alot of vinyl off cars before i install the new stuff....as for the white fading or turning yellow, if its premium 751 or equal vinyl it should discolor....
but to remove the vinyl grab yourself a heatgun, theyr cheap at menards....heat it up good get a good 3M squeegee( you should get one with your purchase) and sort of peel it up finding your own good technique. also it helps peeling at certain angles, and depending how long its been on you might be able to snap it up. also when installing it you can snap it up very quick to start over.
to get the adhesive off we use either denatured alcohol or speedy 500.
to prep the car wash it good then wipe the area down with a paper towel soaked with denatured alcohol.
good luck on this and if you have any questions on install or anything you can email me at invisigard_master@yahoo.com
*edit* also be sure not to hold the heat gun in one spot for too long, you may bubble and ruin the paint in that spot

Last edited:
I thought about getting one of the interior trim viynl kits off of ebay. Are those hard to remove, does it leave a residue? Sorry for the threadjack.

vaMP5er said:
I thought about getting one of the interior trim viynl kits off of ebay. Are those hard to remove, does it leave a residue? Sorry for the threadjack.
it most likely will leave a residure but it is easy to remove....i wouldnt worry too much about it

will using a blow drier and using rubbing alcohol to take off the residue hurt my cars paint in any way. They arent really vinyls their just some stickers of some mods i did.

I've been doing vehicle graphics as a side job for the past 4 years.

1) For amatuers, I do not recommend using a heat gun. It can damage your paint if you use it too close to your surface. Use a blowdryer on high heat.

2) apply googone to the edges 20 mins before you try to remove the graphics this will help you get it started.

3) get a "plastic razor" or a plastic chizeler from a local vinyl supply shop (they are like $.50 to $1.00). Denatured alcohol or grease/wax remover will remove any leftover residue.

4) Do Wash your car before applying the graphics but don't wax it. Waxing will cause it to start lifting prematurely especially any sharp points.

5) for large graphics mix a small teaspoon of baby shampoo with a quart of water in a spray bottle. spray down the car and apply the graphic while wet. This will allow you to adjust the graphic. Then leave it in the sun to dry or use a hairdryer or if you have halegen work lamps they produce a decent amount of heat and can help dry out graphics but like with the heat gun you want to be careful about how close you put them and for how long.

6) if your graphic crosses a gap (gaps between fenders and doors etc) wait till the graphic has dried from the wet apply before slicing the graphic. When you slice try to stay in the middle of the gap and then use a popcicle stick to wrap the excess around the edges of the gap.

7) do not wash car for 2-4 days depending on outside temperatures, this will give the adhesive time to cure.

As for white graphics discoloring, I've never had a problem with this when using Avery Graphics High performance or 3M high performance, especially if you wash and wax your car once every 2 weeks after applying the graphics. (btw don't use a buffer when waxing or a high pressure washer when washing. when buffing by hand don't rub against any points in the graphic, rub in the same direction the point is pointing in. These are the techniques I have use successfully for the past 4 years with no problems. But like anything there are always many different approaches and opinions on these things. I do use a heat gun to remove graphics but I don't recommend it for beginners. I also frequently dry apply graphics, but again this is because I have had alot of practice at it (and if I screw up and just peel off and recut the graphic, vinyl really isn't that expensive when your buying by the roll(about a 1.00-1.25/foot)

Reffoxel said:
1)

3) get a "plastic razor" or a plastic chizeler from a local vinyl supply shop (they are like $.50 to $1.00). Denatured alcohol or grease/wax remover will remove any leftover residue.

ive tried those, they are too soft to really remove vinyl, well big amounts of vinyl at least.we also use an eraser....rubber wheel with an air compressor on big jobs and that also works good, but it is easier to ruin the paint. another cool little tool you can try is a "lil chisel" it works awsome.

5) for large graphics mix a small teaspoon of baby shampoo with a quart of water in a spray bottle. spray down the car and apply the graphic while wet. This will allow you to adjust the graphic. Then leave it in the sun to dry or use a hairdryer or if you have halegen work lamps they produce a decent amount of heat and can help dry out graphics but like with the heat gun you want to be careful about how close you put them and for how long.

you can do this but i feel(for me at least) it is alot harder to work with
because it just moves around too much, but then again i have done this for a long time and if i mess up on anything i just snap up part of the graphic quick and it wont ruin it if you do it right. plus i dont like the wet way because it just takes way too long for it to dry, we have alot of customers wanting it done ASAP and wanting to drive away right when its done.

just wondering, what program do you use to cut the vinyl? and what kind of printer/plotter?
we use a gerber edge thermal printer for our printed products with zeronine ribbons with weather/chemical resistant....and we use a 48 inch DURAcut plotter for cutting. our programs we use are scanvec inspire....they work pretty good im happy with them and they are pretty easy to use

97proLX said:
Reffoxel said:
1)

just wondering, what program do you use to cut the vinyl? and what kind of printer/plotter?
we use a gerber edge thermal printer for our printed products with zeronine ribbons with weather/chemical resistant....and we use a 48 inch DURAcut plotter for cutting. our programs we use are scanvec inspire....they work pretty good im happy with them and they are pretty easy to use
I use Vinyl Express LXi Master. Don't have a thermal printer, but do have a Vinyl Express GRC-61. Like I said I only do this on the side,no intention of making it a full time business. About the widest I can do is 24", so on the larger stuff I have to break up the grafix and then reassemble it when applying.

Reffoxel said:
do have a Vinyl Express GRC-61. .
we also have that same exact plotter....i like it, we only use it to cut our invisigard though, i just wish there was a way to slow it down, its like it moves too fast for itself

Have you tried the speed button on the plotter control panel? I have mine set at 10 in/sec also can set it in the plotter driver panel also.

97proLX said:
we also have that same exact plotter....i like it, we only use it to cut our invisigard though, i just wish there was a way to slow it down, its like it moves too fast for itself

Reffoxel said:
Have you tried the speed button on the plotter control panel? I have mine set at 10 in/sec also can set it in the plotter driver panel also.
found it....mine was set on 2 IPS..... ill try it on one.....

Back