Interior Cupholder LEDs are 1337

Badger Biker

:
2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited
OMG! TEH RICE!!!!! (ricer)

Because of the close proximity of the power box from my last mod (See the thread on interior neons) I was thhinking about what else I could do.

I have seen this done on Scions, and after a quick to radioshack to pick up some 12v housed LED lights, I started on the project. Drilled a couple of holes, sanded them down, connected the wires to my control box and voila! LED goodnness.

It will look better with real plastic bottles, vs. cycling waterbottles. Hooray for red and blue contrast!

Opinions always wanted, but keep the rice ones down to a min, don't want to start another flame war ;) If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

1337 eh?
1.jpg

Without any bottles in and cover open.
2.jpg

Better picture of how the leds sit.
3.jpg

Can barely make out a red line around the cover when it's closed, so it's otherwise invisible when you don't want it to be seen.

Mmm so sexi.

(band2)

Last edited:
isn't that like a $100 accessory on Scions....you're the s***.

EDIT: can we see a how-to, and wouldn't a switch be a feasible option?

eting_pro5 said:
isn't that like a $100 accessory on Scions....you're the s***.

EDIT: can we see a how-to, and wouldn't a switch be a feasible option?

Not sure about the price, but with the half-off sale at radioshack, this cost me $3 ;) (with previously installed hardware) A switch would be totally feasable as well, and something I might add in the future, we'll see.

I will post pictures how I wired it all up in the near future, probably when I am sober. Meaning Sunday ;) ... mwa ha ha ha ha

i have debated doing this mod. you have settled this for me. definetely doing it :)

Without a "control box" can these simply be tied into the circuit for the other interior lights? Nice job!

Yeah, you can wire these to the parking light wire in the dash kick.

ive debated doing this mod also but hardcore and over the top, like LEDs along the walls of the cup holder, not at the base, and i figured that was wayyyyy too ricey so i dropped it.

cool s*** though, looks good.

Badger Biker said:
OMG! TEH RICE!!!!! (ricer)

Because of the close proximity of the power box from my last mod (See the thread on interior neons) I was thhinking about what else I could do.

I have seen this done on Scions, and after a quick to radioshack to pick up some 12v housed LED lights, I started on the project. Drilled a couple of holes, sanded them down, connected the wires to my control box and voila! LED goodnness.

It will look better with real plastic bottles, vs. cycling waterbottles. Hooray for red and blue contrast!

Opinions always wanted, but keep the rice ones down to a min, don't want to start another flame war ;) If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Can barely make out a red line around the cover when it's closed, so it's otherwise invisible when you don't want it to be seen.

Mmm so sexi.

(band2)

looks damn good, im gonna have to do that. what do u guys think about blue leds instead of red?? do they have blue? ive got the blue lights under my dash like your car and would probably wanna do blue. one more thing? is there any way to seal those up?? cuz whenever i put a cold pop in there it sweats and gets water all in the bottom of the cup holder.

I like what you did for the floor... so just your basic LED? How did you hook it up... to the door switch?

I hooked up the LED to my control box that I had for the Neon installation.
install.jpg

As far as sealing it goes, it would be very easy. Just use some silicone when you press in the LED, and trim away the excess when it dries. Tada! Sealed from moisture.

Yes, you can also connect these to any interior lights you wish, just have to run a lot of wire :D

If someone can find some blue LEDs wired and ready for 12V in their own little housings, I would consider using those. But Radioshack didn't have any, and I sorta wanted to do this "in the heat of the moment" ya know?

Wow!

That looks great! Great job for three bucks. Make sure you put this in the "How to" section. Again, very nice.

Tim

It's possible!!!.....

Way to go man..... I've been debating if i could do some subtle lighting without breaking the rice barrier, you prove it is possible. here-here good man. (tired of all the (kissass) yet). :)

The key seems to be in keeping the "EL-blue"/"dash red" ratio proportional ( (boom01) )

so what specific brand/color did you use......& where find??

I really dig the red LEDs in the cupholder, could really help me at times...(stoned)

Neons I used 12" Street Glow Minis in the Neo-Blue color.

For the LEDs, I used your normal 12v Housed Radioshack variety.

I promise to get pics up ... I just found out I have an exam on Wed so I am a little more pressed for time than originally thought. ;)

Back