Spark Plug Install??

Maestrokneer

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey,

I remember reading a thread a while back that had a step by step guide to changing out your plugs. I did a search and waded through about 5,000 noobs asking what kind of plugs to use, but I couldn't find the thread that described the install.

If anyone has the link, or would care to write a quick how-to, it would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to do it this afternoon. Thanks again.

Spark Plug Change

Maestrokneer said:
Hey,

I remember reading a thread a while back that had a step by step guide to changing out your plugs. I did a search and waded through about 5,000 noobs asking what kind of plugs to use, but I couldn't find the thread that described the install.

If anyone has the link, or would care to write a quick how-to, it would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to do it this afternoon. Thanks again.
All four spark plugs are directly on top of the motor. All you have to do is take off that black cover on top of the motor. Take the wires off of the plugs one by one as to not accidentally rotate which wire goes where. Remove the old spark plug. Then properly gap the new spark plug. I beleive that it is 32. Put the new spark plug in until you feel the gasket seal on the motor and put the wire back on. Times (4). Then put the plastic cover back on the motor.

I think that is it.(attn)

evo..eater:) said:
All four spark plugs are directly on top of the motor. All you have to do is take off that black cover on top of the motor. Take the wires off of the plugs one by one as to not accidentally rotate which wire goes where. Remove the old spark plug. Then properly gap the new spark plug. I beleive that it is 32. Put the new spark plug in until you feel the gasket seal on the motor and put the wire back on. Times (4). Then put the plastic cover back on the motor.

I think that is it.(attn)
sounds about right to me. take old ones out, put new ones in. pretty simple. just make sure not to overtighten, you're screwing into aluminum which is relatively soft

Do you guys use dielectric grease? I'm away on business right now so I can't check the manual, but I'm sure there is a torque spec on the spark plugs. Basicaly just don't overtighten like jred321 said.

Hercdriver said:
Do you guys use dielectric grease? I'm away on business right now so I can't check the manual, but I'm sure there is a torque spec on the spark plugs. Basicaly just don't overtighten like jred321 said.
i used dielectric grease when putting mine in.. As for torque specs.. im not sure. i just made them snug. I would love to know the specs so i can get them torque'd down correctly.

Thanks for all the info guys. Got them in this afternoon. It was pretty simple. I didn't use any dielectric grease (probably because I have no clue what that is), but...hopefully it's OK.

The factory ones were torqued down pretty damn good. It took a while for me to get the courage up to really crank on them to get them out. But when I put the new ones in, I just tightened down to a little past snug.

Anyway, thanks again.

Should this thread be in the how-to section?

anyway,

tighten plugs to 15-22 Nm (1.5-2.3 kgfm, 11-16 ft-lbs)

Yes use the grease and some anti sieze. Both are extremely helpful. The "autozone guys" aren't trying to scam you when they offer it along with the plugs.

Yep, I am glad someone mention about the grease.

a little bit of antiseize(3.99 per tube) or sparkplug lube(99cents) or a drop of fresh motor oil would do the job nicely.

make sure your car is not hot when you removing/installing the plugs, aluminium loves to get cross thread and mess up even with a slight over torque.

ok.. .so how do you figure out the right amount of torque?
i'm replacing mine this weekend... i'm just going to be using a ratchet 'n a 5/8" socket. my arm's not so good at calculating torque

use a torque wrench. Don't overtorque or you can **** s*** up. If you strip the threads, you'll have to get a heli-coil which is a ghetto fix shy of taking the head off and remachining it

I want to remind everyone to clean out the well before you remove the old plug. Any dirt, sand etc. that is down there will fall right into the cylinder. I use a Q-tip with a bit of grease on it to get that gunk out.

I was told by my automotive technology/design professor that you tighten them to tight plus a 1/4 turn. So when you feel it get tight, turn it 1/4 turn more and you are good to go. Its a simple way to do it if you don't have a torque wrech or specs.

Different cars have different gaps. N/A 2.0's have a bigger gap than the turbocharged MSP's. Please pay attention to what car the poster has when suggesting a gap. Always refer to your specific cars manual for the proper gap. Wrong gaps can lead to misfires, or no firing at all.

anyway, the MSP requires a gap of .028-.032" or .7-.8mm. This is significantly smaller than N/A 2.0's.

unless you're turbo'd.... spark plugs won't make a huge difference. that's why i'll end up using the stock NGKs that i got from the dealership, factory spec gap and guaranteed to be 100% compatible.

Back