How To: Gauge Dim With Cluster Dimmer

MJG

:
03.5 TI GREY MSP #853
Well after messing around with the wires I finally figured out how to correctly make your gauges dim with factory.... On your dimmer switch is a blue/white and a green black you can hook both wires to either. You don't have to ground them to the car.. Trust me it works.... Hope i have helped everyone... Good Luck MJG

Also if you take the ground wire from the sidemarker light and run it up to your blinker in the middle and tag the light green wire not the dark green wire your marker lights will stay on with you parking lights and blink when needed..Once again it works well.... Good Luck MJG (burnout)

Last edited by a moderator:
In case I forgot Its the two wires for your light blub..... You may have to catch the ignition and ground for the gauge to function.... Thanx

Cool Thanx, T3ase.... I posted it where i did b/c it seems that some get confused with other cars and there wiring is different... We should have a how to in each section for different cars. What do you think.... Thanx again, MJG

O well,this is the proper way to do this mod..... Hope everyone can benefit from it.

tytanium said:
Anyone know how to do this with a single illumination lead, as on my Defi D gauges? Thanks.
I figured it out, i had to use the green lead at my dimmer switch as a groud for all 3 gauges, then i used the blue lead for the dimmable illumination to the gauges. I love it!!

i dont get it...anyone got a wiring diagram or something for the first...sounds so easy but i cant seem to figure it out...thanks

It's pretty straight forward.....you have 2 wires for your gauge lights, tap one into the green-black wire, then tap your other into the blue-white wire.

It will also be ALOT easier if you pop the dimmer switch loose from the dash, and then disconnect the wiring harness from the back to give you lots of room to work with under the dash.

duMb KeoLa said:
i dont get it...anyone got a wiring diagram or something for the first...sounds so easy but i cant seem to figure it out...thanks

i just bought a gauge and i think i have the same deal tytanium did with only one wire for the light source. is he saying he used the green-black wire as the ground source while using the blue-white wire as the light source? so you dont ground to the chassis? sorry if i sound weird.

Correct, no need to ground to chassis, just use the gr/bk wire for it.

GearSlammer said:
i just bought a gauge and i think i have the same deal tytanium did with only one wire for the light source. is he saying he used the green-black wire as the ground source while using the blue-white wire as the light source? so you dont ground to the chassis? sorry if i sound weird.

I have an electric boost gauge though, and it says that I have to place the red wire to a +12v connection that always sees power (so that the auto zero function will work) Can I just hook this up to the battery, and hook up the black wire and white wire to my cars dimmer lights? Thanks

yashart_mp3 said:
I have an electric boost gauge though, and it says that I have to place the red wire to a +12v connection that always sees power (so that the auto zero function will work) Can I just hook this up to the battery, and hook up the black wire and white wire to my cars dimmer lights? Thanks
my opinion is yes, this will work, but you will want to check with someone who has the same name brand b4 u start...(mine is mechanical)

this thread is pimp. Others were like, uhhh... it can't be done.... but this dude steped out and done it up. I like my dimming guages... Thanks MJG, your the sh%*!!!

Will this work if I've already grounded my light to the chasis and simply connect the positive wire to the blue wire behind the dimmer?

Ok, so say I have two gauges, each with a seperate light bulb. Should I follow the same procedure and put both ground on the green/black and both powers on the blue/white or what?

Also I dont know if anyone else saw this, but the guy in post #15 has a 2001 Protege5

twilightprotege said:
i have a 2001 protege5....well 2001 323 Astina SP20 that is...purchased in may 01

Well here in America they only made them for 02 and 03. I just thought it was funny.

And I figured out my question, so no need to respond.

Back