How To: HKS type 0 Install

:
'03.5 MSP(Yellow!)
Thorough HKS type 0 Install

HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer Install

Disclaimer: all the usual crap, not my fault if you mess up.

This will detail the installation of an HKS type 0 Turbo Timer in the MAZDASPEED PROTG.

Materials:
-spade or bullet connectors
-5-10 wire splicer thingies
-crimper/wire stripper/cutter combo tool
-10mm socket, drive, and extensions
-knife
-some @18 awg wire
-voltmeter/ multimeter

Procedure:
1. Cut off all of the connectors on the TT wires except for the bullet connector on the grey wire. Strip @ 1 cm of insulation off of each of the ends of these wires, and install male bullet/spade connectors.
fabe3c22.jpg

2. drill yourself a hole and insert wires as shown
fabe3b8a.jpg

3. Go under the dash and look up the steering column. You will see the ignition key cylinder. You will also see the wires that come out of it and lead down to a very reachable spot. Use your voltmeter and your knife (to cut a bit of insulation off) To test the wires.
fabe3bd7.jpg

a. You should see 2 red wires, 2 blue wires, a black/white, and a black/something else.
b. Test one of the red wires. If you get 12V with the key not in the ignition, use some wire and a splicing thingy to splice into that wire, going to the red wire from the TT. If you dont, try the other one. You only need about 12 of wire, so go ahead and cut about 12.
c. Test the black/white wire with the key in the on position. If it gets 12V or so, splice into this one with the Black/white wire, going to blue on the TT. If not, try the other one. Again, about 12 is needed.
d. Splice into the blue wire, going to green on the TT. 12 again.
4. Disconnect negative battery terminal. It hurts a LOT to get shocked, especially when your head is under the dash. Haha.
5. Take off the right kickpanel of the passenger side and lift up the carpet there. Use your 10mm socket and associated hardware to remove the ECU. Dont bother removing the plug, just follow the wires out from it for the next step.
fabe39ee.jpg

6. Find the purple/white wire coming out of the ECU . Splice it and run the wire behind the dash to the other side, all the way to the orange wire on the TT. Youll need more than 12 for this one.
fabe3a25.jpg

7. Find the grey wire with red dots that came with the TT. Open up the center console around the parking brake by inserting 2 fingers in the top of the slit(with the parking brake down) and pulling upward. Use another splice connector and some needle-nose pliers to splice into the wire coming from the parking brake switch as shown. Run this wire underneath the plastic for the center console, up to around where you spiced into the ignition wires. You shouldnt have to cut the wire.
fabe2b9f.jpg

8. connect the black wire from the TT to some kind of ground. A good place to do so it under the drivers side kick panel. I was stupid and did it here. Its harder to do, but it works.
fabe3ac8.jpg

9. connect everything up and go test it out!
fabe2e40.jpg

My email, if you have any problems, or questions, is mcfly@nc.rr.com
-Matt McBride

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the Type 0 I got, it's silver and the manual was in Japanese.. I was going to put a write up up like this but my camera battery was dead and I wanted that thing in ASAP... OOF!

Dude, awesome post!! I wish I had had this 3 weeks ago!! Oh well, thanks for your time (on behalf of the next guy).

alarm still work? has anyone been able to get around this yet? im still waiting to install my Greddy auto TT but i want to make sure i can still use my alarm and the fact that i gotta get a friend to help cuz i suck w/ electronics

Can a mod save these away in the "Hot-To" section? This is good info (this thread and the other "how-to" posted today by Yeller).

The alarm cannot be made to work with the TT without rewiring the factory keyless entry module. THe alarm is armed by the keyless entry, not the remote. The remote still works with out the alarm brain plugged in. I researched this extensively and do not think that it can reasonably be done.

I had originally posted a message to the contrary, however I then admitted my mistake and recanted.

Britt

ADMIN/MOD,
Please correct Step 3c, and 3d. They are reversed. As correctly stated in a other posts, "Blue wire on the TT goes to black and white on the Ignition, and Green on the TT goes to Blue on the Ignition."

Mine finally works properly after making the above changes.

I am not sure this is true, as I cut one wire in the factory alarm modile and now have full functionality of the alarm even while the TT is counting down. For more details on how to do this, you may want to PM BoomerGT.

122 Vega said:
The alarm cannot be made to work with the TT without rewiring the factory keyless entry module. THe alarm is armed by the keyless entry, not the remote. The remote still works with out the alarm brain plugged in. I researched this extensively and do not think that it can reasonably be done.

I had originally posted a message to the contrary, however I then admitted my mistake and recanted.

Britt

Guys, my STOCK alarm arms and locks the doors fine with the HKS type 1 timer. I dont know! my alarm is so ****** up though! it didnt work for 2 months, and then it started working again, but now i can lock while the car is on....*shrugs*. i didnt cut any wires!

tytanium said:
I am not sure this is true, as I cut one wire in the factory alarm modile and now have full functionality of the alarm even while the TT is counting down. For more details on how to do this, you may want to PM BoomerGT.

Can you list how to do this?

Back