How To: Roof Rack Removal

dosle

:
2k3.5 p5 ftw!
How To: Roof rack removal

this is really easy to do, and i happened to have my cam with so heres how to do it if you aren't sure or a newb like me.

1.jpg

be careful to not loose these screws because they aren't anchored into the plastic
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

pop in your rail fillers and your done!

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

imo i think the car looks cleaner without the racks, and it made it seem shorter to me, dunno why. keeping my rack just incase tho!

thanks to LA Dreamer for hooking me up with the fillers

matt

Very Nice How-To! Can a Mod stick this in the how-to section :D

If only it was so easy to remove the rest of the roof rack too.

*wishes he had a 2003 model with no roof rack*

So hey, how do you take off the covers at the ends of each crossbar? I was going to just yank em off but I'm not too sure about that maneuver. I don't want to brake anything. Do you just have to take the 4 screws out and simply pop the covers off?? This seems too easy!

yeah it really is that simple, they are just pressure tabs inside the plastic, i doubt you could break them

matt

It is TRUE. The plastic tabs have proved to be quite robust...

I keep popping my covers off and on again as i install/remove my kayak holders (which are bolted to the racks.

Yes! A REAL sports Activity Vehicle! :p

Very nice. Sounds good. I will take them off tonight!

Kayak holders eh? Sweet. I want to see how my car looks without the racks on, but I once saw a P5 with a mountain bike on the top. It looked sick! Exactly, a sports utility/activity vehicle!

Just did it in 30min...dunno if I like it yet.

With the rack the car looks tougher...more "active" as slimsmcgill
put it. Looks more sleek with them off...tough decision.

Yeah, it does look a little tougher with the racks on, huh?

I saw a red P5 today without the roof rack on, but it didn't look too good. The P5 had stock unpolished rims, no tint on the windows, nothing. I guess it was a mom's P5. Oh well, can't hate. But it didn't look too great. I don't know, guess I just have to do it!(hmm)

brabbani said:
where can you get fillers from for the roof rack

You should have gotten them with your car if you bought it new. But if that's not going to work out for you I have a set I can sell you for cheap, just enough to make it worth me packaging them up and shipping if you want them. (I assume you mean the plastic inserts that fill the holes left by removing the cross pieces)

Shoot me a pm if your interested.

First thing I did when I got the car home from the dealership was put the rack on. Nothing better than a good rack I say. lol
One thing you should know: The rack helps tighten the body for handling. Subaru actually sells rail bracers for the wrx wagon, they look like our racks they just sit lower on the car.

Man, I worked for two hours last night and i cant figure out how to get tose freakin things off. I got off the cross bars but the mounts and platic strip thing WONT COME OFF!!!!

Hate to bring this up again, however I can't seem to find the part number for the rack fillers. I want to remove the cross bars and fill the holes! HELP!!

I have everything removed and I have a big gap/groove running down both sides of my car. Filled it with Roofing tape first (Tar with aluminum) then black electrical tape over that to make it look smooth. No leaks yet..

Gonna body work them out.. either weld a peice of sheet metal over the gaps or fill it with urethane or something..

how do you get the black runners fo rthe rack off, the ones that run front to back?

if you mean removing both black pieces, left and right, from the top i don't think you can.

Back