Zoom Zoom BOOM - I joined the blown up club.

flyrevs

:
2013 MS3 Silver
Well I heard the worst sound of my entire life on Friday July 17th in Danville VA. :'(
I drove down from Ohio (500mi) and the car ran like a champ, and got 32mpg to boot. It's about the 5th time I have driven down here. I had my dashhawk on the entire trip down - no knock, everything looked great. I was leaving the plant and had driven my car for about 1 mile to the front gate, dropped off my pass and hopped in excited for a nice ride home - I love goin through the mountains of VA and WV. I was in no hurry and leasurely ran through 1st and 2nd then shifted into 3rd at about 3k and maybe 1 or 2 psi (I was driving like an old lady). Then the sound that still haunts me: a hand full of nuts and bolts thrown into a blender on high speed, followed by a "pop" about 1 sec later, then the instant strong smell of oil and antifreeze. Was running on like 1 or 2 cylinders when I shut it down (almost immediately). I got out and there was a trail of oil and antifreeze and a giant pool of both under my car. I popped the hood, nothing visible except oil everywhere.
34k miles on the car. I had my wife call and get me towed to an empty lot next to my hotel in town, then bummed a ride to RDU and flew home 5 hrs. later to Cleveland.

Well after I got home I started talking with Palerider about what I should do and he pointed me to Darrell Cox Racing - like 30 miles away from where I blew !!!! I met up with Darrell and he is building my forged motor !!!! Like Randy said if you are going to blowup there is no better place to do it than near DCR, probably the best shop in the country for building bomb proof forged motors!!! So I'm totally excited about DCR working on my car.

eeek sorry for the bad luck. Stories like this scare me because your not THAT heavily modded. Must have been a tiring day with the waiting / flying / etc.

If you dont mind me asking how much is it going to cost you for forged motor / installation.

Ouch! That sucks and makes me nervous.
How much for the new motor? Sounds great but also sounds expensive.

I think that it's safe to say that the real cause of your engine failure occured sometime before it actually let go.
Do you know if it was a broken rod?

sorry to hear man ... i only have a intake and bpv on my motor and it blew too ... basically stock which is sad.

it hesitated on partial throttle this one time and misfired and bent rod ... few weeks later .. BOOOM .. exactly as you described with the particles of metal in a blender sound ...

Last edited:
Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. My wife would be so pissed at me if my motor blew. I hope that day never comes. I can't imagine the cost of a forged motor. Probably 5k huh?

mine was bone stock when it blew at 5,117 miles. that number is stuck in my head. lol. it sucks when that happens. mine happen at low RPMs as well. i had just shifted to 2nd at 2k and boom. mine sounded just like yours did.

I am impressed that you're having a new built motor put in it, rather than stocking out, and trying to get it covered under warranty since your only at 34k.

Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Anyways, I hope PG could hurry up with my order so I can get my hands dirty lol.

These stories make me nervous, I just put my fmic on but haven't gotten to drive it because it's been in the shop. Good to hear you get to go built though!

anyone think the VVT bolt issue is initiating secondary failure with the crank/rods ??

I am impressed that you're having a new built motor put in it, rather than stocking out, and trying to get it covered under warranty since your only at 34k.
Well, here's the reasoning:
1) Mazda is looking real hard to void warrantee on blown motors since there are so many.
2) Even if I stocked out, you could still find a lot of marks on bolts and such that would raise questions.
3) My dealer has seen my fmic and forge bpv
4) (main reason) the ecu has been flashed with the Cobb AP - I have heard that this would be the give a way on my car
5) even if I got it repaired under warrantee, unless I stayed stock there is a good chance it would happen again, and maybe even if it was stock
6) good opportunity to get upgraded by a pro, everything happens for a reason so blowing up near DCR was actually the BEST place to blowup

I need to have peace of mind it won't blow. I decided to spend the $$ and have a much stronger motor and get a few goodies all at the same time. Now I will have a better than new motor that I never have to worry about. Will my motor blow? was always lurking in the back of my mind.

Back